What chemical stuff does the body produce during Non-REM?

Hi.
Haven’t been here in a while now but I can tell that I’ve done amazing progress with my dream recall, 2-3 dreams a night. :smile:
Well, here is the deal. Some of you might heard of this rather unusual sleep-pattern and many famous scientists have used this: everything2.com/index.pl?node_id … _id=459383

Well, my friend have done this 2 years now (he’s a pilot so he got the perfect job for it) and he says that it’s amazing. For a while ago, some week ago, my friend told this for a doctor just to check that no harm can come from it and he said that since the body will only recive REM sleep the long deep-sleep stages are skipped and some, I don’t know the english word for it right now but lets say chemicals, minerals and that stuff, are not produced that the body might need.
He said that they’re in most fruits and you can buy them as vitamin-pills but now my friend is away and I’m planning to try this way of sleeping.

So, what fruits and so can prevent loss of this stuff? :smile:

AFAIK:
In SlowWaveSleep (deep NREM) growth hormons are produced. These are important for your body in order to regenerate cells.
If it is really possible to “skip” the SWS sleep you body will be harmed. I don’t think that you could simply adjust your diet. You proabably had to take hormon supplements, but since hormons are very complex and not that well understood this obviously isn’t a good idea

But my friend and that guy on the site did this 2 years / a half year. He’s feeling great.

Hmm, perhap this is cause SWS isn’t completely skipped?
But I’d also be interested what chemicals those are he’s talking about. Can’t you ask him via mail or something?
Perhaps something like serotonin or 5htp?
I don’t know that much about body-chemistry…

i believe seratonin is produced during NREM, though i think you can produce it other ways, excercise, eating, etc…

at any rate, people deprived of NREM (or REM) will go through rebounds eventually, according to what I’ve learned… so I don’t think it matters too much.

Probably a dumb question… but if “growth hormons” are produced in NREM sleep, does this mean if you sleep more, you grow more?

Of course:)Thats why it is adviced for young people to sleep a lot when they are in the age when growth take place.That is between 12 and 18 yrs old.Before body regulates this process very well,after common sense should.
It is proven that men who slept a lot during this time are statistically higher.

First of all Moppe how does your friend know he skips slow wave sleep?
Are there EEg machines connected to the brain to show in those 20 min what sleep you entered?

So you dont know excactly what sleep you get.
The only thing you know is that u lack sleep.

Well when ppl lack sleep the brain is raising serotonin and dmt that gives them a good high feeling and also important it blocks you to feel depressive
(when you got a normal percentage of serotonin receptors) so no wonder you feel good lol.

I did a test once to not sleep for 79 hours, no coffee or added things to help and i found it very easy and it was way more easy then (then from my normal living pattern) to practise selfhypnosis or meditation. Not so strange when serotonin and dmt are leveled up in the brain :smile:

But like i said…that u only sleep for 20 min a time doesnt mean you dont get deep sleep/slow wave sleep it only proves u have lack of sleep.
Because the brain sure is gonne addept over time. When ppl do sleep deprivation and then sleep normal again there sleep pattern is also not normal right away and is tot different then from the 90 min cycle.

Now, is it that you have periods of REM sleep that are 90 min long, or every ninety minutes you have periods of REM sleep? And if the latter, how long is the REM sleep?

Very interesting, although I would not be able to try that one out. Since I work more then 4 hours 4 days a week.

To bad, I would like to now a way to have AND more time in my day AND more time to dream :smile:

The Rem-periods talked about in that articles says that every 8 hours of sleep 1.5 hour of them is REM.

Although I see the good and clear fact that children and sick people shouldn’t do this… I also agree with the fact that if the REM sleep is adapting the other sleep probably is also…

I would be very interesting in testresults of people who lived like his for 10 years.

IRL I already have discoverd that if I’m tired and I close my eyes for about 20 minutes I have a little trouble getting my head together, but after that I feel very awake and refreshing.

If i’m tired and I close my eyes for an hour, I have a real hard time to waken myself again and it’s more like the mornings I can’t get out of bed.

So I do believe in this sleeping thing

During a typical night you first go through the 4 main sleep stages, from light to deep sleep and then back to light sleep, before entering REM sleep. In general it takes 90 minutes before you have a REM period, but as the night progresses two major changes occur: the amount of deep sleep diminishes and the amount of REM sleep increases. Because of that, the period between the end of a REM cycle and the beginning of a new one decreases in time. During one night, 50% is spent in sleep stage 2, while 20-25% you’re in REM sleep.
Here are some graphs:

In the next graph, you see clearly that the amount of REM sleep increases in every new sleep cycle, while the amount of slow wave sleep (deep sleep) decreases dramatically.