Your Lucid Movie

I’m interested to hear what your answers to this question will be. If you were to make a movie about lucid dreaming what kind of stuff/events would you put in it? After a few posts on it are up, I will put my idea up.

Don’t know about the plot yet, but definately lots of false awakenings

Yes, FAs would make a film about them much more interesting. Has the “is this a dream?” factor.

And er… still no LDs so I’m not sure, but there would probably be 6 fingers on a hand :smile:.

flying!
The 6 finger hand thing would be cool too.
I’m a LD newbie, I’ve only had a couple of really low level lucid dreams, but in one dream I looked at my hand it was sort of split in half, with lots of fingers.

I convinced myself it was an optical illusion :shy:

I think I would start the movie so that the viewer thinks it’s real life. Then I’d slowly start adding in the dreaming content. If the viewer pays enough attention, he might notice very small anomalies at first.

Like one of the actors standing way in the back of the scene has 10 fingers on one hand, or maybe the main character pulls out his analog clock to check the time, and one of the numbers on it looks like a hieroglyph. Or maybe the main character’s clothes keep changing colours between scenes. After a while, the anomalies become less subtle, like his friends are acting very funny, he can’t seem to find his way home, etc.

I think it would be great if a movie about LDing could build up events in this way. Not only would it build up tension in the movie, the viewer might also want to watch it again a few times only to notice all the anomalies he was completely unaware of while watching the first time.

lol where’s pedro ? Perfect topic for him he IS making a movie about it lol

Assuming he’s still into LD’ing?

Um, I like Odds idea alot. But, the downside is that it doesn’t really portray LD’ing very well. I mean yeah, once the charatcer’s realised, he could do stuff, it’d show LD’s better.
But, in real life, dreams just don’t last that long…

I’d have the character start off with a bit fo trouble getting lucid, but he gets better and better at achieving it.

Also, during his dreams, you see him getting better and better taking control.

However, a LD movie just wouldn’t seel outside the LD’ing community. Unless you want to add in someting un realistic (eg. DC’s keep you trapped in the dream…), then no one would want to watch it…

I kind of agree about the lucid dreaming movie won’t appeal to people not interested in it, but I think for some people, it could get them to actually look into the subject even more. If I would have seen a movie about it long before I discovered about it on the internet, I would have been very interested. Before I found ld4all, the only time I had ever heard the term ‘lucid dream’ was in Vanilla Sky (actually a pretty good lucid dream movie if you think about it and study the stuff he does).

As for my movie. I would do the same as mentioned earlier. I would start off with really normal type conversation and events but throw in many tricks into the scenes that people will really have to watch out for. Some examples are changing clocks, lights not turning on, rooms that seem to be rearranged every time they appear, strange outdoor lighting (black sky, no moon, but still seems very light outside), very close planets.

I was thinking how cool it would be to make a mix movie of a DXM trip and lucid dreaming with all kinds of mind bending themes to it. Here are a few things I have thought of, from my DXM experiences:

-Laying on my bed floating through space
-Plants grow from the ceiling
-Shadowy figures standing in corner (not so pleasent)
-Light that turns into objects (such as fish that swim away or something that will move
-Everything seems to become a cartoon

I have many many more ideas about the DXM/Lucid stuff, just thought I wouldn’t take forever explaining it all.

Some friends of me and I want to make a film about entering an other world (but it could also be a dream or a lucid dream).
Someone is walking through a forst, when suddenly something strange happens (we don’t know yet what).
The persons is in another world an some odd people an animals talk to her, she can’t get out of this world untill she does something special (we don’t know yet what).
My friends want me to play an owl in this film, because they think my eyes look like the eyes of an owl :wink:

Heck yeah Odd. that is an awesome idea. I think you need to pass that on to some kind of film agency and direct something like that. seriously. it would be awesome.

“Waking Life” is my favorite movie, so I’d feel like any effort I’d make would be pathetic.

That really really sounds like Alice in Wonderland. While making this string I was thinking about how Alice in Wonderland could be a lucid dream movie. It is definitly the biggest drug-inspired movies ever made.

@downward~spiral
You’re right it really sounds like Alice in Wonderland, I like that story very much, but my friend don’t, I don’t know why.

Do you think Lewis Carroll had taken drugs when he invented Alice in Wonderland? Okay the whole story could be a very wierd drug trip :wink: but were psychedelic drugs used in England at that time?
Anyway I think it doesn’t really matter how the story was invented.

Your story sounds cool, but how will you create the effects like hallucinations from growing plants?

I would like to change colors and make the walls moving, but I don’t know how to do so. And I think my friend won’t let me make such effects :wink:

The spongebob episode that was on today had an LD, FA, and 5 dream connections in it, it was cool, he even said hey since i’m dreaming i can do whatever i want, and turned himself into a scyscraper.

Yeah i noe i’m a 16 year old boy who watches Spongebob and Star Trek everyday, but hey not everyone can be this cool…

Heh, I have seen that episode. My girlfriend likes that show. Don’t know why. But since I’m such a nice boyfriend, I let her watch when it is on.

As for the stuff on the effects in a movie. I never said it was going to be anything I was really going to do. I’m talking about if I had the resources for this kind of stuff. I don’t know anything about the effects used in movies. I was thinking of just taking a photo of my room and editing it to get the effect. But only for the photo.

I think Disney should invest in a computer animation movie like Shrek but have a boy trapped in a dream or something. I think the freedom of making a movie about Lucid Dreaming you could have anything in it.