Blurry LDs

Some of my LD’s have recently started getting blurry after maybe 5-10 sec. And it feels like I have trouble keeping one of my eyes open. When it gets blurry I have to fight really hard just to stay in the LD. Sometimes I just let go of the LD and wake up because it get really annoying and I can’t concentrate of doing other stuff.

Could it just be that I’m really close to waking up and that I can focus hard enough to barely stay in the LD? And has this happened to anyone else?

This usually happens if I get a LD and I have slept for more than 8 hours.
:help:

Yeah I’ve had this too. I’m not sure about the cause… Perhaps the mind wasn’t adapted enough to the lucid state. Becoming lucid then made everything pretty unstable, with some side-effects such as difficulties to keep your eyes open. I’m really guessing here, but it sounds logical to me. It could also have something to do with mental blockages.
Nowadays, I don’t have this problem anymore. Perhaps it’s one of the teething troubles you have to conquer before you can grow up as a more experienced LDer?

I think this has happened to me, I think I was lucid, but it didnt seem real at all, it was like I was half way between imagining and dreaming. Its similar to when I just wake up and record my dreams, except I’m actually just dream-recording my dreams. :tongue:

It sounds like a lucidity-stability problem that you are having. Shortly after i become lucid, my stability always seems to waver on que. I agree with mystic and my own experience in that it is because of the lucidity onset, you know the impact of the realization, that sort of wakes you up. When this happened to me, i would always panick and struggle to mentally hold onto the dream and keep it going. This i found was the worst thing to do, that it actually contributed to my waking up. Ive very recently discovered (my last LD in fact) that just stopping, clearing your mind, and focusing on your surroundings (acknowledging them - serves to make them more ‘real’ and ‘solid’ and less likely to fade is the process behind this i think) is the way to go.

Another thing mystic said i found to be interesting:

I totally believe in this. Based on personal experience (check out my DJ if you like) I find that a lot of LDing has to do with personal learning, i mean you cant really describe how to stabilize or how to be aware of the ‘dream feeling’ and etc, those things you have to learn (but more like stumble across) on your own. The signpost can only lead you so far to the destination, so to speak.

Good luck! :smile: to all of us

I completely agree. Becoming lucid is something you have to get used to in my experience. It does improve in time. However in the mean time you can help yourself by:

=> Stay calm
=> Do something to anchor your self to the dream. You can use any of the prolonging methods to do this. I personally found that flying works well for this also.
=> Use prolonging techniques at regular intervals throughout the dream. Don’t wait for the dream to fade. By then it may be too late.

yeah it happens to me a lot in ND. I hate it. it happens towards the end of my lucid dreams sometimes. and then i wake up. i think it is just us about to wake up.

milod789 - I think I always stay calm in dreams now. It was only the first times that I was really excited. And I was about to start flying when this happened. Usually I just focus to stay in the dream, that seems to work best for me. And by focusing I can usually do it while doing other things at the same time.

I just remembered that something similar happened a few months ago. I was standing infront of a closed door and I was trying to walk throught it. But suddenly I started loosing my balance and it felt like I was standing on a boat trying to hold my balance. After a while it got so annoying that I just woke myself up. This was a LD where I could sort of feel the dream and just by concentrating I managed to stay in the dream.

i think it just has to do with being in too light of a sleep, and fighting off split body sensations, because i get it all the time…

it’s not an issue of stabilizing, it’s an issue of you shouldn’t be lucid or even dreaming, but you are… and you are too close to being awake.

That’s possible but, there really is not enough information to say for sure. Either way, I think the solution is the same as stated above.

I’d have to agree with holy reality.
In my last LD I was very calm, focused on the surroundings, etc. When it started to fade I looked at my hands (which has been very effective before) but everything faded to black…
This was at 12:45 pm after maybe 9½ hours of sleep…

That is why I always encourage people to anchor there dreams as soon as they become lucid. I think that you may be able to push your self into REM sleep. At least that is the theory I am working with. Now I do not know if it will always work but I have had it be effective in a few lucid dreams. Also, keep in mind that dreams do have to end ( as far as we know ) at some point and there may be nothing you can do to stop it.

I think that it would work more often than not, being pretty effective for me personally. True, there does seem to be a point that dreams must end though, like when you are pulling the usually effective stability tech and it just isnt working. I guess this would be confirmed if there were no FA’s immediately following, but just plain waking IRL fully conscious and whatnot.

I am finding this to be true for my self as well. What I do not know is, am I in NREM dreaming and pushing myself into REM or are they just low level lucid dreams and I am just increasing lucidity. MY guess is it’s a little bit of both.

That’s happened to me before, but it was easy to overcome. All I had to do was stay calm, maybe concentrate a little on an object.