Could 2014 mean the end of humanity ?

Well the Maya’s Belived that the Earth would end in the year 2012. Its said that their dates of the stars and planets etc are the most accurate out of all the ancient civilizations. Excitingly frightening is it not.

Yes, the Mayan calendar ends around 10:30 AM on December 21, 2012 AD.

Milod - yep sorry that was your point

Chi Swordsman - Even with an OBE or NDE I think there is still some doubt as to what will happen when you die, so I think any sane person would at least be apprehensive.

Yes, you’re right fear and happiness both have good points and bad points, thats why you need some of both, and why we have evolved to have some of both.

we have ALL points of both that we know of though, if we only used certain parts of fear how would we know any other parts existed?

i’m simply proposing the theory, why not decide what we want to use?
whenever there is something to be feared and you are afraid… in that moment if you break it down with a clear mind it comes down to weighing up options/risk and acting on whatever choice you like better, (we simply try to be at our best)
do you agree?

if that’s what it comes down to, where does fear reside what’s it’s purpose? emotions are surely simply layered over the top of the situation
,it’s a blanket that sits on ‘wieghing up options and acting’ (not a good or bad thing that’s just what it seems to do)
it makes certain options/risk that you are weighing up seem more important in your mind, and may well influence the decision…(sometimes good, sometimes bad)

the thing is if we don’t know what the outcome with each emotion layered would be… then they may all be equal risk… so why not choose which we want? sometimes fear might fair better as an influential blanket
but i’d wager happiness and peace would come out in front…
their positive attributes include some of the strongest in my opinion
(a clear mind, calm, confidence…etc)

anyway… just theories :wink:

Even if it was heading for earth and would collide in 2014… wouldn’t scientists be able to blow it up with 10 years of warning?

Could this be the comet Wormwood that the bible says will hit the earth during the end times?

I do not know. From what I understand that is not as easy as it sounds.

um… what’s the worst that mass hysteria causes? If the world is going to end,do you think anyone would care if a few cars get turned over or something? for some reason I found your post hilarious… dunno why, maybe I’m weird.

i saw something today maybe interesting.
according to very very old persian religion biliefs human life seprated to 4, 3 thousands years. and we are in the 4th.
the 4th begin with the birth of ZARTOSHT and iranian holy man that got a book. i dont know the date of his birth ,sorry but i can search.
it is interesting that old native cultures and other areas got the same belifes.

I would be alot more concerned about the Yellowstone Park super volcano erupting than worrying about an asteroid hitting us. the Volcano erupts ever 600,000 years, and right now its 40,000 years over-due and there have been signs in the park that the ground is rising and many earthquakes have been happening in that area.

here a link for more info:
https://www.armageddononline.org/supervolcano/index.php

Yep. When Yellowstone goes up it’ll change the world in a big way. I definately take the 2012 prediction seriously. The astrological alignment due to take place in 2012 is accepted fact with modern day scientists, and we have never seen anything like it in our history. The debatable part of the prediction is whether it will be accompanied by equally dramatic events on earth or not. I would say the Mayans have proved that what they said deserves respect, just by getting the first part right.

I agree with Chi Swordsmans posts. There is possibly a time for fear to be utilised… but the ‘problem’ (from where I’m sitting at least) is that we missed a great opportunity to have a good/love filled time. I mean lately we havent had asteroids flying at us, or tigers jumping at our throats. And yet we are so keen on worrying about things that where we havent had ‘natural’ problems to fear, we’ve created our own. This will just make any ‘natural’ fear-inducing event even worse. If we had, for example, established a Nation of Humanity, or some kind of system based on Unity/Love (instead of Seperation/Fear) we could all focus on preparing/minimising the impact of such natural disasters instead of wasting time fighting each other. There is even the idea that the state of the ‘natural’ world is linked to our state of consciousness, and so if we were on a higher Love level there wouldnt even BE natural disasters!

But then if we hadnt followed the path we have done, I wouldnt be sitting here typing this so its no good regretting anything… this is where we find ourselves.

The way you feel about life-after-death has a huge impact on how you feel about something like this. Some people have a rock-solid, unbreakable belief that there is ‘life-after-death’, based on introspective enquiry AND personal experience… And some spiritual schools encourage meditating on your death every single day, as soon as you wake up in the morning. So the day when a comet comes hurtling down isnt really going to rattle those people as much as those who Fear death, regardless of whether there is actually an afterlife or not. If, as I believe, there is an afterlife then sure it would be NICE if humanity could sort its act out… but, once you pan out a level, it wouldnt really matter one way or the other. Either way, the Universe is expressing itself. An ‘Atheist’ could come to the same conclusion, of course. :smile:

And finally, on the subject of whether it is ‘sane’ to believe certain things or not:

I was once told by a qualified proffessional that having “deep, philosophical thoughts” is a sign of the onset of mental illness.

I thought that by saying that, she was displaying signs of mental illness. So ‘sanity’ is very relative…

Haha, thats awesome :smile:

about statistics. standard deviation is given the symbol sigma. probability within 1 sigma is about 66.7% or so, within 2 sigma is 96.7%, and within 3 sigma is 99.7%. although most of you would agree .3% is rather small, it isn’t. i haven’t looked into what this is, but theres some business practice called six sigma. as you can imagine, it’s a really really small percentage. i think it’s about having the chances that products not be defunct be within six sigma. otherwise people would sue you for mass amount of bad products.
personally, all this death in the future stuff makes me pessimistic, so i’d rather just to stick the present.

Here is an interesting poll that was done. I saw this on real time with Bill Mar. Apparently there is a survey that is done in the US where they ask the question, “do you think you will see the end of the world in your life time”. Apparently in previous years the percentage of people who answered yes to that averaged about 1 or 2 % but this year that went up to 17%. That means that 17% of the people they asked think they will see the end of the world.

I’m just glad I won’t be around for 2101 AD, when War Begins…

I just had a dream last night about the end of the world . . .
I was well prepared for it with my awesome powers and stuff. I just hope they hold up IRL. :smile:

Somebody set us up the bomb!!!

To be serious, the biggest risk is still nuclear war! I think the probability of a big one is maybe 1% in 10 years. Perhaps less or more depending on how highly you think of the ones who controls the arsenals. But what is the probability of a world-killer asteroid or comet in the same time? 0.00001%? But blowing up asteroids makes a better movie than one about global disarmament, of course. I recommend you read about the Cuba crisis in 1962 if you don’t know about it. If a much lesser politician than Kennedy had been president in the US the apocalypse could have happened there and then.

If an asteroid big enough to kill of humanity was coming we would need 20-30 years at the least to deflect it or to blow it up far enough in advance. And that is if new necessary technologies like nuclear propulsion are easy to develop… But again - the probability?

yes but then radioactive debris will hit the planet :sad:

The thing is we don’t really know that for sure. That was the hole point behind the movie the day after tomorrow. Most think that such an event is maybe hundreds or thousands of years off. However, mother nature reserves the right to change her mind at any time. While I would hope your stats on a comet hit us are right there are many other things that nature can throw at us which are just as devastating.