Anime for beginners

Aww, Totoro was so cute :grin: One of my fave movies when I was little… haven’t watched it for a while though.

Some of my favorites:

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Rouroni Kenshin
and DBZ (not so much anymore tho)

Search online to see if any of them play at any times in your area, or if you are really interested, try to rent them from a video store, or something else to check them out. You can usually get the whole series of an shows for really cheap on eBay, I got my Cowboy Bebop series for like 15 dollars I think.

yu-Gi-Oh (yugioh.com/) is a story about a boy endowed with an ancient spirit who plays a card game with his friends based on an ancient egyptian sport called ‘the shadow game’. the original version was in japanese and was quite dark. 4kids got hold of it and cut it up, added an english dub and made it quite kiddy-friendly and not so dark - both versions are available on dvd, depending on where in the world / what region dvd player you have of course. yu-gi-oh is good because it’s bright enough to be funny but there is strategy and good plot so it doesn’t get boring. a card game was also made as a spin-off from the tv show.

sailor moon is another anime cartoon, this time more ‘brainless’ but still quite fun. the japanese original version was made in three different series from what i understand - ‘sailor moon’, ‘sailor moon s’ and ‘sailor moon super s’. madman entertainment (animatedbliss.com/news.asp?TID=861

so, those are my two recommendations! also, if you want to learn to draw anime, or discuss it with others, try

anipike.com/ (forum and online gallery of site member’s art)

omu.kuiki.net/ (online manga university and forum; free tutorials)

polykarbon.com/ (manga tutorials and photoshop stuff)

have phung!! :cool_laugh:

yeah bi-shoujo Sailor Moon (pretty girl sailor moon) was good

I used to HATE manga, anime, and everything related…
then I went to cinema I saw Miyazaki’s Spirited Away… it changed everything…
Now I saw Miyazaki’s Mononoke and Castle in the Sky and I want more! they’re all SO great!

Evangelion was cool!
Trigun was the most emotional (near the end…))
and those are the only two i can really recommend… since I haven’t seen that many. But yu-gi-oh, come on, that shows on kids-wb every day and is JUST LIKE POKEMON.

Oh yeah I also liked Nadia: The Secret Of Blue Water a bit. Did anyone watch that .hack//liminality that came with the game? I’ve only got part one…

Yeah…but with a couple sexy characters. No interesting stuff. But a couple o sexy guys!

vampire hunter D: bloodlust is pretty good

anyone seen the ninja scroll series? any good?

The ninja scroll series is good according to reviews.

Check out the anime “Bastard” for a good action movie, it has a little bit of nudity and some cursing though, nevertheless it’s the entire series(6 episodes) on one disc.

Ranma 1/2 is an ultimately good anime, and a great one to start with. I also suggest any Rumiko Takahashi animes, Trigun, and for mangas I suggest Samurai Deeper Kyo and Getbackers. And I hear Real Bout High School and Ragnarok are good.

But still- Watch Ranma.

Here is a list that I like:

Macross (Any Of Them)
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Cowboy Bebop The Movie
X

My favorite of them is definitly Akira. But X and Macross are really good also.

I looked up at the others and I forgot all about Vampire D. That is a good one.

FLCL and Rahxephon are great

Miyazaki = goodness and light

I like Akira. Record of Loddos War is really good… specially if you like fantasy over science fiction.
Ninja Scroll, Blood, Demon City, Ghost in the Shell (not an incomprehensible ending… the one cyborg and the program inhabit the new body… a melding of both parents attributes, creating the birth of a new type of child)

Ive seen more than that but I can’t think right now. Miyazaki is definitely wonderous though. You may not find anything you find to be of that caliber. I know I don’t. I think he tells a fantastic story. You should read his Manga series “Nausicaa: Valley of the wind.”

i can’t believe Love Hina hasn’t been mentioned yet…

also, Yumeria is a must for any lucid dreamer. it is only 12 eps, but worth every second. The plot is basically a dream world, that a 16 yr old guy and 5 girls end up in, where they have to kill some evil entity, called Faydoom. it is a definate must see.

i also recommend:

Mahoromatic
Full metal alchemist
Trigun

faints
omg, I thought I’d put that…AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh

The best anime I’ve seen, by far, is Grave Of the Fireflies (or Hotaru No Haka in japanese) by Isao Takahata. If you don’t believe an animated movie can move you to tears, watch this. I’ve never seen a movie, animated or not, that has touched me so deeply as this. It is definitely one of the greatest masterpieces of all times.

The movie is about a young boy, Seita, who struggles for survival in Japan during world war 2 togehter with his five year old sister Setsuko. Their story is heartbreakingly beautiful.

And furthermore, the music is simply wonderful and the drawing is excellent. I’ve never seen an animated movie that is this beautiful. The whole movie is like a piece of art.

Some praise this movie has received:

“I have a thing for antiwar films, All Quiet on the Western Front, Men Behind the Sun, The Sand Pebbles, and others that put a face on the chaos and suffering of those both in and out of uniform, but Grave of the Fireflies tops them all.”

“Watch it. Watch it with your friends and your relatives. Watch it with your children. It could very well change everything you ever thought about war and its repercussions.”

horrorview.com/Grave%20of%20 … eflies.htm

“‘Grave of the Fireflies’ is certain to elicit tears from just about anybody.”

worldfilm.about.com/library/week … 100402.htm

“This is a movie which should be in everyone’s collection, to remind us of the hardships of war, and how the past should never be forgotten.”

dvdlaunch.com/fireflies.html

Whoah I like downward spiral’s list!

My top 5:

1. Princess Mononoke
  2. Akira
  3. Spirited Away
  4. Cowboy Bebop (film, not series)
  5. Ghost In The Shell

And if it’s manga then it’s easy! Theres only one thing you wanna read!

Akira! It’s got 6 different books. ABout 400 times longer than the film, and completely different. And miles better!

Oh and go to www.tokyopop.com and buy Battle Royale mangas! They are among the greatest things I’ve ever read!

If you want a great mix of hilarity and drama get “Great Teacher Onizuka”. It’s definately my fav anime. The Ghost In The Shell movie and series are sure to blow your mind. “Hack Sign” is pretty good too. “Vampire Hunter D” is also kickass. And “Locke The Superman” is an oldie but a goody.

“I Don’t Know How To Love. I Just Know How To Live.” - Forgive Me by Godsmack