HendrixLee's tips for newbies

Getting lucid

Try to go to bed exhausted, deprive yourself of sleep and exercise heaps(don’t use this method too much). This ‘locks’ you into a dream for much longer and makes the WILD technique much easier in my opinion.

Constantly do RC in reality(or what you think is reality). This makes your mindless dreamself occasionally do an RC.

If you are exhausted then lie in bed and think of pictures, simple pictures and try to remain conscious. If you do this exactly right then after a while you can feel the point when you become a part of the dream. Make sure not to think about your body until you are sure you are dreaming.

Also, if you know that you can sleep in then wake up about 7:00 and you will be exhausted, in the best state to LD.

Staying Lucid

Remember that you are in control.

If everything starts to fade just concentrate on something you see. It works, trust me.

Try to remain as emotionally neutral as possible.

Rembember, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Fun things to do

Seeing as this is your mind, you have utter control of everything you see. You can do anything, but do it as quickly as possible.

Always keep a mental list of all the things that you want to do in an LD, but never request to talk to God(I did this and he told me I would go to hell and that he was happy about it :sad: )

Have fun, I hope that this helps.

Only thing I’d add to this is try a late-night snack. There has been a lot of debate about the effectiveness of snacks like cheese, chocolate, potatoes, etc. However, they certainly won’t hurt you. A lot of my LDs and long periods of REM seem attributable – in part – to eating late.

And please … before you attempt anything more exotic than cheese or mint tea, educate yourself. Respect your body and avoid incarceration. There are plenty of safe/legal ways to help yourself LD.

This sounds like a very good, easy-to-remember guide. I’ll remember it.

I’ve got one problem though, with WILD. You see, if I concentrate on something for too long, I’ll actually not fall asleep. I’ve tried this before. And even from what I’m told, WILD seems a little odd. Could you perhaps explain it in as much detail as possible?

i’ll second that request…

Both of you… find the middle path when you dont fall asleep and you dont stay awake :smile: lol… i have not made it by myself. Try one night to count, then fall asleep while you are counting… i think you have to experience that before you can WILD :smile: Read the whole BIG WILD thread… many good advices there

my mind always wanders off when i try the counting thing. i normally get to around 40 then my mind just drifts. i’ve tried " one, i am dreaming, two, i am dreaming, etc" too and the same happens with that.

will you know you’re sleeping when you do this? will you continue counting in your dream?

When you first start out, do not set yourself up by having a certain date by which you’ll have had an LD. This is because if you fail, your intent and will to LD will be harmed (if not destroyed). One thing in fact - is that oftentimes you’ll have an LD when you least expect it.

Another word of advice - dont try too hard. LD is one of those things thats like water in your cupped hand. If you try to hold onto it, it will slip right through your fingers. The same goes for stability. I used to try to ‘will’ stability into existence whenever my dream wavered - only made things worse. Like hendrixlee said, just focusing in detail on something in your dream environment will increase your stability. Personally i think this is because in acknowledging your dreamscape, your subconscious will see that you want to keep dreaming and so will cease in its fading.

Good luck! :tongue:

Hendrixlee

You forgot one of the most important things (in my opinion). Keep a dream journal.

Oh I get it, blame the Hendrix fan for everything. I mean, uh, yes that helps too. Also I’ve been trying to set a ‘trigger’ for LDs, such as remembering to do a reality check whenever you see something that is common in your dreams(or nightmares :grin: )

Also I think that a big problem for some newbies that have never LDed before is that they are so desperate to get one, everytime a technique doesn’t work they feel as if they can’t LD. Just be patient and don’t concentrate too hard on it.

And dont give up. :smile:

Word.