Most effective sleeping position

Which is the best postion to lie in bed to achieve an LD?

I’ve heard sleeping on your back is, but this also increases your chances of SP and many find it simply to uncomfortable. So in your experience which is best?

I find it near to impossible to LD on my back, let alone even fall asleep in that position. I switch between my right side and my stomach. I often WILD while on my stomach but I don’t necessarily see a correlation. I think it mainly has to do with personal comfort. I have heard that AP is impossible to do when attempted on the left side, but that’s for those who actually believe AP is possible, and for the people who accept such an idea without any experimentation.

*I don’t know if this particular question is elsewhere on the forum, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Time to hit “search”.

I think it’s more important to just find what’s comfortable for you.

…but I refer you to the “Best sleeping position for having Lds” thread.
ld4all.com/forum/?https://www.ld4 … php?t=2511

I have done WILD on my back, side (including my left) and once on my stomach (just to see if it would work). Now days I prefer either side. Laying on my back is too uncomfortable with my new bed.

Happy dreaming.

I personaly find I get the most LD’s when I sleep on my side on top of my arm… must be something in the sensation of pins and needles which keeps me awake.

It doesn’t really matter for me, as I always have to roll over, I can’t stay in one position for long, but 60% of the time I have a LD I fall asleep on my back (I think…)

Ive recently been trying to determine if there is a difference between sleeping on your left and on your right sides. So far, im sort of thinking that sleeping on the left is more comfortable, useful information, that, hehe :tongue: . Im not sure but i think ive had more LD’s on my left than right. I wonder though if there is something in there being more bloodflow to one side of the brain (for most people: right hemishpere - abstract…left hemisphere - logical)…

I do believe there is something in sleeping on your back, though, having similar experiences to DKV. Unfortunately i find it extremely hard to fall asleep on my back nowadays. I once devoted myself and ended up staying awake 3 hours on my back, before i rolled over without thinking, noticed it and checked the time, and was out like that.

I agree with sno in that comfort plays a huge role in it. I would guess the uncomfortableness of sleeping on ones back puts the mind in a different state which may help with LDs (increased awareness possibly, due to the unusual), while sleeping in a very comfortable position would allow the body to fall asleep faster and leave the mind more open to pull say a WILD.

On a different note - who here uses a pillow? Personally, ive been getting sick of my pillow, especially when sleeping on my belly (more and more these days hehe its actually pretty comfy so long as, well, hehe) :tongue:

I’ve heard somewhere, not sure if this is entirely true, that since your heart is on the left side of chest, sleeping on your right side puts less pressure.

After spending enough time trying to WILD on back, I always turn to my left, from which I’ve had much success.

I don’t think there is any right position. ( at least for me ) I used to sleep on my back but, I now find it impossible to get to sleep that way. So I started to sleep on my right side and to my surprise I was still able to WILD. Then I tried my left side with good results and as I said above I managed to WILD on my stomach once ( only tried it once ). Lately, I am starting to find the more comfortable I am the better my chances.

Sentient asked:

I use many pillows and get as comfortable as I can.

I’ve read somewhere (laboratory experiment results) that sleep paralysis mostly occurs when you’re laying on your back.

I usually sleep on my stoumache/right side :smile: Mix :happy: :tongue: Btw, i use pillow :smile:

Basilus West

Do you recall where you read this? Was it about people who enter SP spontaneously or as a result of doing WILD, Meditation etc.?

It’s at the Psychology Departement of the University of Waterloo, Ontario Canada.
watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/prevent.html
There is a graphic of the frequency of spontaneous SP, and it’s seems statistically correct, due to the sample size.
The home page of Sleep Paralysis is :
arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html
It looks serious and interesting.

On this Lucidity Institute page :

lucidity.com/NL42.1001Nights.html

one can read :
“The finding to take home from this study is that indeed, people had three times as many lucid dreams when sleeping on their right sides than when sleeping on their left sides. Back sleeping (…) seems to be better than sleeping on the left.”
and :
"In the oldest available references on lucid dream induction, the
thousand year old text on Dream Yoga in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, is the advice to the initiate attempting to achieve a lucid dream that he should sleep “on the right side, as the lion doth.”

Good dreams !