Poorly lit dreams

I can’t figure out the source of this is, but lately I have been having dreams that always take place somewhere dark. The lighting is always dim or dark, and I can’t see anything too detailed. I have even become lucid in this a couple times, but I lose it quickly because I can’t see anything. Its almost like I’m halfway dreaming, because sometimes the dreams would just black out and then come back in.

Whats the cause of having multiple dreams like this? I know I could use lucidity to brighten the dream, but I forget sometimes. I need to fix my normal dreams too, because its starting to hurt my recall a bit too.

It happens to me a lot. All the lights in the house are very dim and I can hardly see a thing. I’ve learned to make it a trigger to make me lucid and it works - some of the time.

I also have this problem - most of my dreams, especialy lucid are happening in dark, poorly lit places (at dawn for example). I haven’t tried to turn the light on yet, I plan to do it tonight :wink:

First post, yay :happy:

I used to have this experience quite often. Yes, i found it to be pretty annoying and frustrating as well. Im not too sure how i transcended it, you might wanna check out my dreamjournal (but i warn you, my posts are nightmarishly huge so like, be prepared to spend a good hour or so reading). :grin:

I do know that focusing on such a problem in itself will solve nothing. Like thinking about how you always have dark dreams, may actually make you have more of them, you know what i mean?

Expectation seems to work well for dreams (at least for me), like expect your dreams to be light. Oh, i remember that one thing i tried before it just went away, was to utilize the fact that IRL i have an automatic garage light (motion detector). This carries over into my dreams, and i a few times would make my way to the garage in an LD (that happened to start in my room) and expectation worked, there.

• I just re-read the first half of my DJ and find that there isnt much that can shed light on this subject (sorry, had to crack a pun). Uh, hehe, yeah i dont see anything beyond what i havent said about expectation and the like. :smile:

As far as outside environment influence goes…well for me turning on my lamp as i slept sort of worked, sometimes didnt, but i dont really remember too well. What i think now, though, is that you probably shouldnt condition yourself like that. One - you become dependent on an outside source for your LD light source. Two - this source wastes electricity and money when you could just tough it and through eventual experience find light to not be a problem. Then again, i dont know if keeping a light on IRL and then stopping using it would have negative repurcussions.

An idea though, was that maybe the darkness represents something. For me, i think it may have represented how i had so much i wanted to do in an LD, that when i finally did have an LD, i didnt know what i wanted to do and thus the uncertainty sort of made things dark. These days, i focus on like one thing at a time, so this paragraph’s point may in fact be valid.

Good luck :smile:

I think there’s another larger topic about this hiding somewhere in the forum.

Anyway this only seems to happen to me if I’m scared or I get scared if it’s dark and then I wake up. I seem to wake up even if I’m lucid. I seem to be programmed with ‘scared=wake up NOW’ and by now I mean I usually wake up so fast that I’m still in SP or I get a FA where I’m in SP and the light doesnt’ work and I get even more scared :help:

But luckily this only happens about once a month. But my success rate with waking up from a nightmare seems to be amost 100%.
If it’s dark and you are lucid, try flickin a light switch a few times, for me it usually works after a few tries. Otherwise try to magically create some light. I did that once and it was quite beautiful and I got some strange pixel errors at a wall :grin:

I hate poorly-lit dreams, and they used to be a real nuisance to me. In real life I would just flip a light-switch, but they’re notoriously unreliable in dreams! :grrr:

My solution ended up being to change the dream setting entirely. I have tried so many times and so many ways to light up the dream and it never works. What I do now is phase through the nearest wall to re-set the dream setting and try to teleport to a place that has more light.

Isn’t it “The Quest of Lucidity/Pitch Black” ? I just discovered it without searching…

:cool_laugh: yes it is.

Btw Pitch Black is also a sci-fi movie with Vin Diesel in it. Just in case no one knew :grin:

Yes i also have this problem(in my normal dreams, i havent LDed yet), i didnt know that other poeple had this problem,