No LD's for a week! Trying to recover from a dry spell

This past week I had a medical problem and had to have minor surgery. I was on pain killers and was generally very uncomfortable. My nights alternated between getting little or no sleep to crashing. I barely even remember my dreams let alone have lucid ones. Anyway, I am feeling better now and I hope to be able to lucid dream again right away. I just hope I don’t need to start all over again.

Well its good to hear that youre doing better these days.

Whenever i dont get enough sleep, or just sleep at irregular times, my dream recall always suffers majorly. When my dream recall suffers, my will to LD suffers too. Like if i wake in the morning and not remember a thing, i sometimes get disappointed and whatnot, which i doubt helps anything.

I doubt that youd have to start all over again, heck, you might now have more subconscious energy devoted to LDing than before because of your spell. You never know, but try not to be discouraged if it all doesnt come back right way. Personally, i think its like riding a bike - you never forget, though there may be some bumps in the road.

:smile:

Good luck

I haven’t had any LD’s for nearly three weeks…

But, I’m starting to recover (last night I dreamt that I was in lessons, and we had to write out phrases to do with dreaming. one of thems tuck out to me and em think of LD’ing… unfortunalty, i didn’t take a rc…)

Sentient and Sureal

Thanks for the replies. :smile:

Last night I finally got a comfortable nights sleep. Though I dd not have any lucid dreams I did vividly recall 5 normal dreams. Since it appears my dream recall is returning with no problem, I hope my the same will be true with my lucid dreams.

A dream recall of 5 dreams a night? Yeah don’t worry, your LDs will come back very soon. And as often the case, they will be better than before the drought :smile:

Good luck! :content:

:eek: A recall of 5 dreams a night?!
Like mystic said, your lucid dreams will be better than before. It’s like you can’t fully appreciate the sweet until you’ve experienced the sour (heh, I got that from Vanilla Sky, a movie that has lucid dreaming in it).

Recalling 5 Dreams a night is not bad recall at all Milod789 :smile:
Its good!

Thats a good base for getting lds also :wink:

Jeff

I do not always remember 5. That was just that night. My average dream recall is between 3-5 dreams but, almost never less than 2. I just got worried when I was sick because, I had no lucid dreams + no recall and that had me worried. ( it never happened before )

Anyway, to update I am finally better and last night I had 2 very long lucid dreams. I look forward to more tonight.

I think my problem was a combination of lack of sleep and medication.

:happy: Great to hear your back on lucid track Milod789 :smile:

Thank you jeff

Things are still going well. :bounce:

Two in one night is not bad, and judgeing by your frustration over a week drought, it would appear you average quite a few per week. I average only one LD every week or two. I’m sure there are dreamers even more proficient than you, however I must ask, how do you do it? How long have you been practicing lucid dreaming, and what do you find is the best induction method? I can recall about two dreams per night, and have been actively practing LDing for two years. I’ve made much progress, but I still have quite a ways to go…

For me robotfrank its a mix not just one thing that improves my rate at lds!

I find that;

1. reading books abouyt lds for 20 min just before going to bed helps.
    Thats because ppl that read before sleeping have more remsleep at night, thats scientifically proven and tested.
  2. At day time train myself to look at life as if its a dream…say like “wow this is a dream, how wonderful detailed it is” and look around then where ever you are.
    Then in my dreams i also do that…“i say often ok iam dreaming this is a dream”
  3. Having a To Do List for when u have your next LD.
  4. Have enough sleep and try to remember your dreams and write them down in a dream diary.

Good luck RobotFrank!

robotFrank
First, I agree with everything jeff said.

Second, there are indeed many on this site that are far better lucid dreamers then I. I consider myself to be about at the intermediate level ( for lack of a better term). I have practiced lucid dreaming for a very long time. My LD frequency does Vary quite a bit. I can’t ld at will yet but, I know I will have several in a week.

Some advice:

=> everything jeff said
=> don’t look at lucid dreaming as something that is really hard to do. The harder you think it is the harder it will be.
=> keep a dream journal. If you do nothing else, do this. I believe that a dream journal is one of the best tools you can have for LD ing.
=> Lots of RC’s especially in the beginning and do them seriously. Once you think you are awake imagine that everything you see, feel, experience is a dream. ( similar to what jeff said ) Then, tell yourself the next time you are dreaming you will realize it.
=> keep practicing no matter what. If you stay with it you will succeed.
=> practice meditation, yoga, or self-hypnosis. (Optional, but highly recommended)

Mm yes thats true Milod789, i can tell from my own practise but also from others that za zen meditation in time gives u more lds when u are already a lucid dreamer!
That probably has to do with having more alpha waves and being empty, passiveness of creating thoughts and at the same time still being aware if having a self and being yourself :smile:
In rem sleep alpha waves play an important buffer role between sleeping and waking consciousness. All is a matter of recognision and experience.

Thank you Jeff and Milod! All very helpful advice. I have been reality checking quite often (i like to test the laws of physics - push a finger through a solid, tear at solids, ect) but I today I started telling myself I was in fact in a dream after doing a RC. I could see how this could be a good method to employ. I’ve created a “to do” list, and of course I’ve been keeping a dream journal since I started on this journey back in 2002. I’ve also within the past couple of weeks taken up meditation, but I am new at it and unexperienced. I still have not found a method that works best - but I’m reading books on the subject and experimenting with different variations hoping to find one that suits me.

Jeff: How do you practice “za zen meditation”? And also, you made mention of reading books about LD before going to bed at night. What books do you read? Do you reread the same books or find new ones? I’ve read LaBerge’s EWLD and “Stop Sleeping Through Your Dreams”, by Charles McPhee (a so-so read IMHO). Any recommendations?

robotFrank

Well it definitely sounds like you are on the right track. I think you will see results soon.

Don’t worry about being new at meditation. It is not a requirement to lucid dream just an added plus especially with WILD.

There is already a topic on good LD books but I’ll give you a list of a couple of my favorites:
=> ETWLD (of course)
=> Creative dreaming by Patricia Garfield
=> Lucid Dreaming in 30 days

About good topics on LD books, you can find them here and here.

:smile:

Hello,

Just a quick question about the meditation practiced by milod789, Jeff; do either of you use a mantra? And do you meditate early in the morning or before you go to bed?

ypm.

Ypm, i dont use a mantra…
I practise za zen meditation or i do my own trance meditation.
Maybe with my trance meditation you could say i use breathing out as my mantra of emptyness and letting go.
I do it at all times but prefer to do it early in the morning or late at night!

Hey thanks for the reply Jeff, I’ve been doing some reading on Zen (before ever reading this post) and meditation. Right now I am trying it for myself, but just trying to get comfertable with sitting for longer periods of time.

I’m mostly concentrating on my breathing or concentrating on my body as a whole. I’ve found that concentrating on my body seems to work better for me.

Thanks for the info, I’m hoping that the meditation will help me with my dreams and my everyday life.

ypm.