Hargart's Induction Technique Log (HILD)

I tired this last night (as I said I would).

First attempt:

Relaxed my body and started doing the finger thingy after around half a minute.
No success at all.

Second Attempt:

Kept myself relaxed for longer. I waited until I got the pre dream ‘mind dreams’ thingies. I honestly thought I was two guys, who were books, who were trying to be sold.
When I realised that was stupid, I started doing the finger thing.

Almost strait away I got the tingly feeling. But coupled with a less pleasant sensation of someone trying to pull me out my body. I’ve experinced this once before, but not so strong and not for so long.

Once that was gone, my vision (though my eyes were closed) zoomed in and out (or rather, seemed moved backwards and forwards).

I think I should have waited until these went away completely before taking my RC’s… but I got impatient and did it whilst my vision was still funny (though moving slower and less often) and arms tingling slightly.

After that, I just decided to elave it there and go to sleep.

How long did u sleep? Did u do it in the morning ore at the night?

I tried your technique lastnight, -hargarts-, but, unfortunately, I think I fell asleep almost immediately after getting up without really doing anything :cry: . I’m gonna try again tonight, though. So maybe I’ll have better luck :wink:

Sureal, I think your were close.
You may have been “trying” to fall asleep. Try not to think about anything. (because you might start to dream about it when the dream starts). I like what you did to get tired - waited till you started to kinda-dream in your head, Ill have to give that a try.

Repleh, I think you were in the tired state… So it should work if you do it at that point. :smile:

Could both of you please tell me what what time you tried it at, and when you went to sleep? Also, did you set an alarm? Thanks!

I set my alarm last night for 4 hours after Iv gone to sleep. I have no memory at all of the alarm going off… I mean, it will make this loud buzzing sound for 1 hour… you would have thought I would have woken up… hahah

Ill try again tonight… :smile:

Hmm, I’m not quite sure exactly what time I went to sleep, but it was probably somewhere inbetween 2:15 AM and 2:45 AM. I have an alarm clock, but I can sleep through it for a few hours if I’m tired enough, so I asked my mom if she would wake me up (she’s an early bird), and she woke me up around 7:30 AM. So I probably had about 5 hours of sleep.

When my mom woke me up, I didn’t think I felt tired enough so I thought I’d better relax a bit before moving my fingers and such, but I guess I was more tired than I thought, because I don’t think I ever started to move my fingers :bored:

I’m going to try again tonight, though. So I’ll try to post the results soon after. I think this technique will work as long as I don’t fall asleep that quickly :content:

Well it’s good that you fell back to sleep that quickly… just remember to do the movement :smile:

I got to sleep at around 12pm and set my alarm for 5:20. So yeah, around 5 hours sleep.

I messed it up last night. I woke up just before five and turned off my alarm clock. But for some reason, I decided to leave it until 5:20 again before trying the tech…
… and I fell asleep long before then, so I never got to try it again…

I’ll try again tonight :wink:.

hargart i had a same kind of idea before reading this post, i would lie in my bed just moving my eyes from side to side (while shut). which would make lots of colours which i would just watch. but the only thing which would happen to me is i would get on the verge of falling asleep and then i wake up with a tingling sensation which would quickly go.

C_mon

Sorry, hargart, I messed up again.

My mom woke me up again early today, but I didn’t think I felt tired enough so I thought I’d relax a bit, and before I knew it my mom was stirring me again from sleep about half an hour later, but I couldn’t go back to sleep this time. I’ll try again tonight and post the results tomorrow.

iv tried this, and it SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME

i was like
doing it
then BAM i cant moove
and then after im scared for a bit like a moster was gfonna get me i get pulled like pulled
scared the fuck outta me

coungratulations! :smile: u was in SP and from ther it is easyare to get an LD…

congradulations? i was friggin scared! i dont wanna SP again if thats whats is like. youv probally felt it right? scarry scarry scary

SP can occasionaly be scary. it seems you had old hag syndrome at the same time (which is rare) so it should feel better next time you achieve it.

Remember, just keep your mind relaxed and go with it :wink:.

old hag??? im 12

Hargart i said i was gonna try your technique out, so i set my alarm 3 hours after i goto sleep, i wake up thinking im not very tierd here, so i lie back down and i fall asleep, ashamed lol.

I will carry this technique on because i believe it will work for me.

C_mon

Baloogan, you might have been in a dream, and had SP in it… That usually happens to me quite a bit…

Try to relax if you get SP again… nothing can hurt you :smile:

And if you want to get out of it, just close your eyes, and try to shake your head.

Baloogan: I’m not calling YOU old. But, when you feel as though there may be something else in the room with you (demon, monster, hah, whatever) it’s called old hag syndrome (or so I believe).

Anyways, I didn’t get to try out HILD last night. Couldn’t get to sleep.

hargarts, I think maybe there shouldn’t be any sort of noise when trying to do this, because when I tried your tech this morning, I couldn’t get it to work. You see, there was a crow outside my window that was “chirping” (sounded more like it was dying) and my brother (who sleeps in the same room as me) was snoring, and I think it was these noises that distracted me and didn’t allow your tech to work. Just thought I’d let you know.

i agree, i find noises put you off from concentrating.

C_mon

I am aware that the topic has been discussed throughoutly, and I’m sorry to say that I don’t have time to read it through, but here is my two cents.

First of, I’d like to thank you for this great technique. Even though I’ve only tried it this night, I’ve succeeded and tasted the great fruits of lucidity. And this is how it went:

I had alarm ring at 10am this morning to WBTB (with no intention to try this technique out), however, I awoke somewhere around 9am because of the heat in my room. I thought I had overslept greatly, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw what time it was. As I headed back to the land of counting sheep I remembered this tech, and began to move my fingers. Failure, I had not fallen asleep. Instead I chose to sleep normally, awakening when the alarm rung next I snoozed and tried for a total of three or four times to get lucid with this technique. The last attempt succeeded, and after moving my fingers for a short while I found myself looking at my minds precognition of the new LD4ALL layout (which I’m not going to describe here). I had no body and could not turn around, but after a while I thought “yes I have a body” and so I arose from a bed in which I had not fallen asleep. The dream continued from here as a normal lucid dream.

Futher I’d like to contribute with a small analysation of this techniqe, which you may or may not find boring as hell.

Simply put, HILD is a techniqe that almost works the same way as the WILD counting tech. It consists of one thing, an element that the mind can keep it’s concentration on while falling asleep. The only difference is what this element is.
The counting techique is a purely mental task, which is easy to drift away from as thoughts have a tendency to wander whenever you are not watching them.

This is the main problem with all these WILD techs, you lose concentration and consciousness and fall asleep normally. The other cause of failure is overdoing the action that is supposed to keep you concentrated, in turn waking you up or not letting you fall asleep (eventually giving up and going to sleep normally).

So let’s look at the HILD tech, instead of counting you move your fingers. This is a physical exercise rather than a mental one. What makes a physical exercise different from a mental one? Two things. One, it is a lot easier for it to wake you up if you concentrate on it to much. And two, it is very different when it comes to automatition. When you automate counting, your mind will drift and you will fall asleep. To success with counting, you have to keep it in your immediate consciousness and not let your mind wander. Automatition of a physical movement (of which breathing and heartbeting is natural, and I’m able to automate rapid eye-blinking, aswell as stop it entirely) is a lot different. You’r consciousness is immediately informed if there is any change in the status of your movement. Because we drift off into a dream the movement stops even though we don’t notice it, however, this constant movement keeps our brain informed of itself and lets our mind wander. This is not without risk for falling asleep normally, but the chance of failure is still smaller than that of counting.
As Hargart stated in his excellent tutorial, the longer you are awake (and moving your fingers) the more minimal the chance of succeeding with this techniqe is. Thus it is adviceable to use it in short Wake Back To Sleep moments in the night or morning.

To conclude, counting is (to me atleast) a lot less effective in the sense of keeping consciousness, but you can keep doing it for a long time without waking yourself up to the point of no (or small chance of) return. While HILD lets me keep just the right level of consciousness but has a slight dissadvantage in it’s awakening nature.

This most assuredly differs from person to person, but I find the balance of HILD a lot better than WILD counting.

Again, thankyou for taking your time to post this techniqe.