pain in reality brought from a dream

it often happens that in my dreams different creatures start to chase me and usually i tried to escape. but i had a dream two days ago i guess…i think it was a ld - i was cleaning the toys in a children’s room, switched the light off, and i saw sth white moving near some toys. I approached that thing, it was a white rat with black spots, first i wanted to escape, but i said ‘no’ to myself and i picked a tennis ball and said ’ u fucking rat get the hell out of here, i dont want to see u anymore’.when i said that this rat became bigger, its eyes were on fire, suddenly his legs changed into awful arms and he cought my arm and bite! when i woke up i could feel pain in that place… is it normal? has anybody experienced that kind of pain in reality which was done in dream?

Scary stuff. First off, I find its usually better to make friends or to intoroduce yourself to those things that frighten, it almost always goes better. For instance, the last time in a semi dream state i was approached by a walking corpse, which i have never cared for, at all. I introduced myself and asked him, politely, what he wanted. Turns out he was a door to door house insurance salesman named Bob. No Joke.

About the arm, well I would say that in your sleep you had perhaps rolled onto it kinda funny or twisted it in some way which hurt, and your dream state turned that into a rats bite, though i wouldnt be surprised if the pain was brought on by the rat. In meditation, when I go deep enough, I can sorta make my body feel things which arent actually happening. Perhaps the dream state could enhance this.

That’s interesting. It’s happened to me before, though I’ve wondered whether maybe I was feeling pain in real life and it was just incorporated into the dream. Nevertheless, even though pain is usually associated with some kind of tissue damage, the pain itself is in your mind, and I guess it could carry over.

If LaBerge were here, I know he would say something like, “next time, try talking to the rat. Embrace it in a spirit of loving kindness, and it will yada yada yada…”

sometimes pain from the outside world is incorporated into your dream, same with noises and light. Maybe you acidently knocked your arm and it was represented through a bite in your dream

• Silva

One time a dream of mine ended with people circling me and putting one fist each against my ribs. They kept pushing in and I could feel all of their fists individually. I started to feel pain and really constricted. I woke up and could still feel the sensation as I lay there in bed. After a few seconds passed it began to subside. There was no cause I could find for the sensation.

It doesnt matter though. Perhaps if you wake up just right your brain is still communicating that sensation and as you wake up you percieve it with your conscious body. Who knows? I certainly could find no reason for the sensation to be occuring outside of the dream.

thank for your subject!
pain!

i remmember my last night LD. thanks so much.
i dont know why i do forget my LDs.

scary i think id probably crap on myself.it would have been scarier if there were bite marks on your arm though if that happened to me and there were bite marks i think id probably pass out

btw that wasnt my first post i just changeed my screen namer cause i havent been on here for like three years

Well I have never “brought pain into the waking world” from my dreams. However, unless it has happened more than once I would not worry about it. Most likely just a coincidence.

As for dealing with the nightmare I agrees with what was said above. It would have been better if you confronted the “rat” or at least realize that it had nor power to harm you. Of course you also could have turned yourself int a giant cat. :wink:

Anyway, don’t worry as you get better at lucid dreaming you will learn to easily deal with nightmares.

Another time, just recently… I remember a sting ray sucking on my hand like a leech. I tried to pull it away but it hurt. The longer it stayed on the more numb and tingly my hand became. Not so much pain though. I woke up with my hand feeling like that and I wasn’t sleeping on it.

… though I suppose I could have been.

I think when you just awake from a dream, your brain hasn’t removed that false sensory data from dreams just yet. So if you end a dream with something very strong or painful that lagtime in the brain convinces you its still there. I have had dreams like this before and I am positive I wasn’t sleeping on top of those body parts or anything.

One that I can recall involved being in a bank robbery and being shot my 6 SWAT team members in the stomach >_<. I woke up with a awful stomach ache which went away after a couple minutes.

I think Trancewave has a point. I think everyone has had the experience where they wake up, but reality doesn’t quite kick in straight away. Pain is just signals to and from the brain, so the brain can probably simulate pain when you think you should be feeling it, if that makes sense.

Trancewave, the pain in your stomach could have been caused by you tensing your stomach muscles when you thought you were going to be shot there in your dream (I know that I would feel tense at the thought!). Once you woke up and realised it was ‘just a dream’ then the tension went away. A possiblity :shrug: