Scared

I’ve never had a “hag” or as some people call it, a night terror, I know a little about them since I looked them up. Whenever I find out someone has had one, I worry that I’m going to have one. I’ve never had one in my life, but I don’t want to have one. And I’m so worried about having one that sometimes I’m too scared to even go to sleep. I won’t be scared while I’m getting under the covers and just settling in, but then I remember right before I drift off and I keep picturing that old lady. I heard that people only get it when they sleep on their back, and I sleep on my side sort-of curled up. Is it possible to have a night terror in any sleeping position? Is there any ways to avoid night terrors - besides avoiding sleep altogether ? :help:

shudders i noe wut u mean

yea its pretty frightening

I don’t believe there’s a way to avoid them altogether, but they don’t seem to be too incredibly common anyway.

I’ve never experienced this before, either. To be completely honest though, I don’t think I’d be too concerned if it did happen one morning. I assumed people are mainly frightened because they don’t know what it is (which is understandable). In that situation, I’d probably be thinking, "Hey look, it’s a hallucination caused by sleep paralysis. I’ve always wondered what this was like. "

Really, try not to worry about it. Most people don’t experience SP anyway, and you have the benefit of knowing in advance what it is, and what’s causing it. More importantly, you know that it’s nothing to be afraid of, because it can’t harm you.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :smile:

Thanks . And thanks for welcoming me = )

Hey what is a night terror? can someoe please inform me? I didn’t want to start a new tread :content:

The old hag is simply just sleep paralysis with hallucinatons… I know it can be very scary at first, but i also know that you can use it for postive things, like enter a dream while being fully lucid! As sleep paralysis is on the verge of sleep, it is quite easy to enter a dream from there… the biggest problem is to induce the sleep paralysis.

I think it helps to think positive when you experience a SP, as your thoughts affects what you will experience. If you think negative and expect this old hag, then it might just happen…

If you’ve never had one then you probably wont…

Ive never had SP, I even tried sleeping on my back to try and get it but it didnt work :sad: lol

anyway, I heard if you expect it to be unscary then it will, the reason why most people are scared is because they dont know whats going on, and thats why they get the terrifying hallucinations…

so even if you do get it you’ll know whats happening and wont be scared so you’ll get nice hallucinations, if any…

at least thats what I’ve learnt so far, I could be wrong though…

think this to your self:
fear is the mind killer
fear is the little death that brings total obiliteration
i will face my fear
i will permit it to go through and around me
and then I shall turn to see fears path
where the fear has gon there will be nothing
Only I will remain

(btw: i know i know i got it wrong in places blablabla)

I see someone just finished reading Dune. :razz:

I haven’t had the hag in a while, but I still get SP, even when I sleep on my stomach. It’s just as annoying but without the scary hallucinations, although sometimes I still feel a presence next to me.

I know what you mean, I’ve been pretty scared of the old hag myself. Not knowing what the hag actually was, I did a google image search of ‘old hag’ - which I’m sure will give my mind a number of scary images to bring up when I actually do get sleep paralysis myself.

Try to avoid sleeping on your back, as this position can reduce the flow of air to the lungs, resulting in that ‘crushing’ feeling. I’ve also heard that people have got SP from sleeping with the sheets over their mouth or nose, which also reduces the flow of air to the lungs. And, if all else fails, try sleeping with a light on :wink:

Hope this helps :smile:

Just decide not to worry about it. You know nothing very bad can come of it and that many people never have a problem with it. The more you let yourself fear it, the more potential there is for a problem. Decide that you’re just going to let your semi-conscious brain do as it pleases and recognize any strange imagery as just that–imagery, nothing more.

What Atheist said ^^^^^^^^ :smile: