I sleep for several hours and I don't seem to get into REM!

I always seem to be in a very deep sleep for a looooong time and THEN wake up. Does this mean I wake up too early?

Do you mean that you don’t recall any dreams? You may still be in REM-sleep, but just don’t recall anything. Try some different techniques, like keeping a dream journal, or wake up after 4-5 hours of sleep, get up for 10-15 minutes, then go back to bed. This seems to increase recall for some people

To increase your dream recall, you could also repeat a mantra before falling asleep in the evening. Kinda like “Tomorrow I WILL remember my dreams”. Repeat it for several minutes until you’re sure the message has come through. It might not work the first times, but keep practicing. When you wake up, also don’t jump right out of your bed but try to lay still, close your eyes and search for dream fragments. Once you’ve found an image of the dream, or only an impression, you can use this to reconstruct the dream. Really spend time doing this, preferably every morning. If you keep practicing this technique, dream recall will improve and you will be able to remember dreams faster and more detailed.

Good luck! :content:

Oh and ulrik_tr: I like you avatar! :wink:

Hmm, never thought that I just don’t recall dreams. Always thought I never got into REM. I’ll try using the techniques. Thanks!

Yeah, you can probably find a lot of information on this forum, just do a search for “recall” :smile:. It’s also easier to remember dreams “backwards”, like when you remember a scene, try to remember how you got there.

Mystic: thank you :smile:

When you say you dont remember dreams, do you mean you remember absolutely nothing? Not even a feeling, colour or anything?? If you do remember some small details like i just mentioned, then i suggest you writing it down into a yournal, as this seem to build up your dreamrecall.

Also it seems to help dreamrecall, when waking up a few time during the night, especially during the last few hours of sleep…

Some scientests did some research about rem sleep, and found out that people would actually become paranoid and insane after depriving them from rem sleep, so highly doubt you are not going through the rem states.

I hope this is of any help…

good luck

Thank! I used the techniques you guys told me and I ended up remembering my dream! :happy:

Congrats :content: As I said before, to develop your dream recall you need to practice every day. The methods might not work everytime, and there will be days that you can’t remember anything. Don’t loose your motivation then and hold on. Remember you’ll be always rewarded afterwards :wink:

Take care :smile:

DreamerKrystal

Now that you are starting to remember dreams don’t forget to write them down in a dream journal. Very important in my opinion.

Good luck and happy dreaming