Lucid Dreams Dangerous?

I’ve also died in dreams, but have fortunatly woken up alive. I distincly remember a dream where I was a kid back in elementary school and a man in all black clothing came up and stabbed me. I felt myself bleed, fall to the ground, and die, after laying there for a while, i woke up.

Btw, Im new to these forums, hello all.

Don’t be afraid at all, it’s old wive’s tales. Have a look at “Beyond Dreaming/Dream Suicide” where a lot of LDers try to kill themselves in the most various ways. :tongue: :crazy: They are always here to share their experience !

I got cut by a chainsaw in a dream once, yet im still alive.
Even if someone did die in a LD, it’s not like they can tell us anyway, cuz’ their dead.
Besides, your aware in a LD that you cannot be harmed so I don’t see how you would die when dieing is impossible unless you want it to happen… so, err yeah, go for your life.

I understand its not possible to die by dying in a dream, but what if you had a dream where you died, but it was so shocking to you that you died of a heart attack or something, in real life.
Because dreams can cause strong emotions, couldnt this also happen?

As Stephen Labarge and many other people have said on this issue: “if this were true how would anyone ever know?”

To the contrary many people ( on this site alone) have died in there dreams many times with no ill effects on there real bodies.

This too has been discussed in another thread. In my experience (and others) lucid dreaming is just as restful to you body as normal dreaming. In fact, most people feel uplifted and more energetic after lucid dreams than they do after normal dreams. So lucid dreaming may well be more restful to the body/mind than normal dreams are.

Personally, I’ve never walked around naked in public, nor flown, nor asked somebody if they knew I was dreaming, not breathed through my nose while I was blocking it. Yet in my dreams (some lucid, some not) all these things have happened.

I used to say much the same to Pedro: “You can’t have 360-degree vision in dreams, because throughout your life you always see things in a strip format” and “You can’t become a woman in dreams, because you don’t know what it ‘feels like’”. (You can find this discussion by looking at my very first posts, I think)

A more accurate thing might be to say “When you have 360-degree vision in dreams, it isn’t like actually getting 360-degree vision in real life”. And how can we confirm this? We can’t. Perhaps the brain creating a 360-degree view feels exactly like the one it might knit together if we had 10 eyes around our head?

Back to what you said… I don’t think that everything that happens in dreams is something we already know the “feel” of.

Well one time was was standing in front of my house and I see a blue car driving on the wrong side of the road,coming to me.
I see a guy in the car and he pulls out a gun(don’t remember the type) and he shoots me,I got hit at least 3 times in the chest,Then I fall down on the ground and slowly bleed to death.
I had blurry vision,dizzyness,and I could feel the blood coming out of my chest like it was liquid fire,I mean the blood burned my skin as it ran down my body but the bullet wond did not hurt at all.
In another dream I was talking to some buddy of mine,Then I see a nuke fly right out of the sky and it hits the ground not a block away But I did not feel anything.

I have died in an LD too,The one I remember the most was I was having a sword fight with a demon ninja type guy,He was fast,faster then I could move in a LD at the time(Just as I started having LD’s)He quickly ran to one side and slit my neck open,That felt like a big paper cut on my neck,and I passed out and lost my lucidty.

I think that your mind interprets what you think something feels like and thats what you feel in a dream. Cuz I dont think getting shot feels like nothing but the blood burns your skin.

Thanks, BioHazard.

I was just wondering whether it would be like a NDE.

Have you ever noticed that in some ND’s, no matter how many RC’s you take they all fail? or that in some LD’s you’re tricked into losing lucidity by a DC? Or that no matter how many times you try and staberlise, the dream will always end?

This is because when your subconcious decides it would be bad for you to be lucid any longer, or to be lucid at all at that point in time, it stops you.

In short, your subconcious won’t let you harm yourself.

The same goes with dying in dreams - if you really could die in real life from dying in a dream, your sub concious would never actually let it happen.

So… there is no danger at all in LD’ing.

what i was saying is that people usually wake up when they die or just don’t die at all in a dream (they get “killed” but they’re still there looking at themselves or knowing “oh, i’m dead”)… now, this could be true in real life, you could die and think “oh i’m dead”… and we have no way of knowing this, though death is usually defined as when all the vital organs stop working, brain included, meaning you probably wouldn’t be able to think “oh i’m dead”. that’s why when you “die” in a dream, you simply wake up, because your brain can’t just shut down for you. and if you’re still there, thinking “i died in my dream” it means you’re still conscious of your dream state, you’re still in that world, so you’re not dead.

you flying and walking around naked and being a girl is not hard to do in a dream, because you can imagine what it would feel like. from rollercoaster rides and jumping around, you know what weightlessness might feel like, and you fill in the rest… it’s not that hard to assume being a woman would feel like this (though we might be horribly wrong)… but i find it impossible to imagine having no brain activity, it’s a paradox, because you have to imagine it.

then again, this is VERY subjective, because death is an experience we have no proof or evidence of, we just can’t know what it feels like… so i understand your point of view, and i agree that not everything we do in dreams has to come from an experience in real life…

i’m just talking (rambling ?) about death specifically.

Not true. I would be dead hundreds of times over also. Its also incredibly hard to die, as you’re given God-like powers in your dream. Invincible, immortal, etc. Its not like your mind is AWAY from your body either, and if you get hurt in the dream, you dont get hurt IRL. Thats a myth. Dont believe it.

That’s right, and could be a good (but rather weird) way of changing dreams. After your “dream death”, you can dream about Heaven, or something like that.
I remember of dying in some ND, and the dream goes on after that, but I’m dead. After a while, I don’t even remember I’m dead.

I knew a guy who used to use this site and he was a really serious lucid dreamer and one night he was found in a coma. I know this doesn’t really mean anything as he probably didn’t do anything to do with lucid dreaming that night but I just thought about it all when I read this thread… Last I heard of him he had come out of the coma but I haven’t spoken with him since but I hear he’s ok.

I had a nightmare once that my body died while dreaming but I kept on living in my dream… But the nightmare was that I wasn’t lucid… It was just like another life. Really weird

You said before it’s probably Pedro… well, this guy was really advanced LD’er; he said he was trying to “hack his brain”, inserting false memories, creating hallucinations IRL and such…
Maybe he just tried too much… you scared me… :eek: :eek: well, I hope he will show up again and explain it to us. :neutral:

Pedro apears and disapears as he pleases. I doubt he’s stopped posting because he’s in an LD related coma… (this isn’t the first time he’s dispaeared with a word).

EDIT: Pedro is from Scotland and his name is Peter Harrison. Is the person you knew LaD?

You can find quit a few advanced lucid dreamers on this site and none can share any such experience. It is doubtful that this coma was caused by lucid dreaming. You can’t draw conclusions with ½ the story. I mean it just does not sound credible that you claim to know someone who went into a coma ( passably because of lucid dreaming) then came out of it. Yet, being a lucid dreamer your self you have not contacted the person to find out what happened!

Lucid dreaming has been around for centuries yet I have not heard of any dangers associated with it. I have never had problems with it. I think that most of these stories stem from fear of the unknown. There are people who do not understand what lucid dreaming is so they speculate about it then give birth to these urban legends.

I have tried commiting suicide quite few times during lucid dreams. I have been hit by a train, jumped of a skyscraper, shot and probably more… Either nothing happens or i just wake up.

Yes, you can find many similar stories all over this site. All went through them with no ill effects on their real bodies.

I didn’t mean lucid dreaming to be as dangerous as that. I just thought about that there for the first time…

I don’t really believe in what i’m going to write myself but just a thought…

if dreaming is for organizing the information in our head…wouldn’t it be quite bad to try to recall our dreams? This way we rearrange the information the brain just organized by giving the brain more memories (of dreams) that it has to arrange. This could have a negative effect on our memory because the memories that the brain try to organize in a good way to be able to pick them up quick when we need them wasn’t placed right…or maybe the memories that the brain worked on in the dreams we recall were duplicated making it harder to find other memories… :uh:

what do you think?