As usual a newbie with some questions.

Howdy.
Im really interested in this, and cant wait until im able to lucid dream. But in the mean time ive been wondering a few things.

Would it be possible to learn things while lucid dreaming?
Like if i get my hands on a copy of those tapes that help you learn languages, and play it while i sleep, will i be able to hear the tape while i lucid dream and practise speaking the new language?

Cause if it is possible, than you would probably be able to learn a language while you sleep. That would be pretty cool.

Also would it be the same for other things? Like practising martial arts? Or maybe tennis, or playing chess or something?

Hmmm… seems to me the champion dreamer Paul Tholey did something like this few years ago. I’ll search. But perhaps someone on this forum knows that better than me !

Hey Ashura! Welcome to the forum :happy:

I’m not sure if this is the right way. You can definitely learn in your LDs, but you have to know already the basics. You can’t really just start learning Swahili in your LDs if you haven’t start learning it irl or even haven’t heard it yet. But once you know the basics, you may get some results. Though I doubt playing a tape during your sleep will help you much. Because, an external tape will never be heard in your dreams as irl. If you should pick up its signals in your dream, they will be highly distorted, and perhaps you only hear distant whisperings or something like that. So I don’t think that’s a good method… Instead of waiting for a distorted external signal, it is better to remember your intention of practicing the new language while you’re already in the dream. You can do this by dream incubation: if your intention of remembering to refine your language skills in a LD is strong enough, there’s a good chance that you will remember it effectively.

Yep, as long as you know the basics, you can always use LDs as the perfect space to refine your skills. I’ve read about skaters who miraculously mastered a difficult move in just a few weeks, because they practiced it every night in their LDs (I think it was Tholey indeed who reported this case). The same goes for every sport, and beyond (artists of all kind can practice their skills in LDs).

Yes it’s possible to practice things martial ars and similar stuff in dreams. Chess might not work too well, becuse things tend to change in dreams of you happen to look away. But I suppose it would work of you did manage to find a chess-board in a dream that looks as it should. And you would probably have to keep you eyes on the board to make sure that nothing changes.

And about learning languages while sleeping, that could work too. But you might not hear everything on the tapes since you would have to be very near to being awake to hear anything. And you will only be able to hear while you are in REM-sleep. And then there’s also the question if you can fall asleep with the tape on. Try playing some music while you go to sleep and see if you get any dreams about the music.

Good Luck :content:

//edit// two new posts while I was writing :tongue:

Personally, I doubt that it would be possible to properly learn/practice competitive games while sleeping. After all, how do you learn a simple board game? You play somebody. You learn from their wins. When you reach their level, you need to find somebody new.

Therefore, what you need to learn a game is original input. Playing against a certain person will only teach you the anti-strategy to their strategy. What you really need is to learn how to beat people of all playing styles, for which you need to play loads of people.

Can your brain simulate these “loads of people”? If it could, you would be the perfect player! :smile:

I thought it have be proven that you can learn while sleeping. :confused: ( normal sleeping )
Did I dream that ?

I’m not sure if you dreamed that :smile: I think I’ve read something about that too. But Ashura’s question was about playing a tape which could be picked up in a LD so he could practice it then. They may have proven that playing a tape might help you to learn things, but I really doubt you can use this method to consciously pick up the signals in a LD. Even if the tape signals are picked up in the dream in some very distorted way, it would be extremely difficult to distinguish them from the rest of the dreamscape. Because of the distortions, I think it’s much better to incubate a LD in which you rely on your intention to remember to practice the new language, instead of hoping to pick up a distorted signal from your tape recorder.

Thanks for all the posts. Its very much appreciated.
But it kinda sucks. Cause i REALLY want to lucid dream, so hearing all that cool stuff is making me more impatient and jealous.
Oh well. Good things come to those who wait hey.

Don’t be jealous, but know that one day you can have LDs practically every night. The only thing you need to do is to practice every day.
Your deep wish alone to have a LD changes your sub-c so chances already increase to have one. If you think about LDing all day, do a lot of profound RCs and practice WBTB or MILD, I’m sure you’ll get results soon :smile:

Good luck!!

A couple more questions if you dont mind.

Is time the same while you lucid dream? Like say you sleep for 8 hours. Will you lucid dream for 8 hours, and will it actually feel like 8 hours?
Well actually CAN you lucid dream for hours?

Also, if i lucid dream about…i dunno, running a marathon, will i wake up feeling tired, as though i actually did run a marathon.

And lastly, if i lucid dreamt all night, would i wake up, feeling as though i hadnt actually slept, seeing as i was lucid dreaming all night.

Hopefully they make sense. Im kinda just writing them as they come.

Stephen Laberge did some LD experiments about that, but it was with little durations ( 10 seconds ). The subjective LD time and the real time were about the same.
The dreamer Florence Ghibellini, during an LD experiment, thought she dreamed during 20 minutes, when it was 10 minutes.
So LD time and real time are about the same.
However, something strange is that you can feel like a dream last 4 years, cause you can have false memories in dream !

My longest dream was 30 minutes. Seems to me some people here have 1 hour dreams ?

LOL :happy: I don’t know… I would say no, as your body will make no physical effort.

I’ve no experience of that. Some yogi, monks and lamas can perhaps be conscious all the night. But I don’t know what it’s like. Sorry ! :sad:
Good dreams ! :happy:

Firstly, if you sleep 8 hours, you never dream for 8 hours. Sleep consists of 4 sleep stages and one REM stage, this is the stage in which most dreams occur. During a normal night, you enter REM sleep every 90 minutes. The longer you sleep, the longer these REM periods will last and the lighter the sleep becomes. In the end, after some 8 or 9 hours of sleep, a REM period can last for up to an hour. So in general, a LD from one hour is already pretty exceptional. The rate of time in dreams seems to be the same as irl, but it can happen that you feel like you’ve dreamed for months or even years. That’s the same effect as when you see a movie: while irl the movie lasts 90 minutes, the movie itself consists of a series of fragments, whereby all the trivial parts were removed, so it seems the whole story lasted for a few months or more. Say you see someone going to bed in one fragment, while in the next one he’s ready to go to work. Irl this took 10 seconds, but you know 10 hours have passed in the movie. Same thing could happen in dreams, so in the end it feels like you’ve dreamed for ages while in fact you’ve only dreamed about a few situations. These situations are separated by time gaps which then gave you the false feeling that you also experienced those in some sense.

Not necessarily… but I think experiments indicated that your muscles react as if actually practiced the dream sport irl (to a lesser extent). I don’t think you’ll feel tired, but you may feel fading sensations in your leg muscles.

As I said before, you never dream all night. In fact, during one night sleep, you’re in REM sleep for only 20-25%. If you were lucid during all the REM periods, you may be feeling pretty excited about it in the morning, and probably well rested too. But I don’t think you really feel like you didn’t sleep at all.

He he ! It’s seems like mystic and I answered in the same time :smile:

As mystic says, during the night, dream periods alternate with sleeping period. But I think it could be possible to be aware during the sleeping periods… even if it isn’t exactly “lucid dreaming”, … rather something like “lucid sleeping”.

It has happend to me twice, beeing aware of sleeping, and not dreaming. But as I didn’t experienced it a lot, I don’t know if it’s “lucid sleeping” or a kind of insomnia. During these periods, I only saw complex structures made of lights.
There is a strange fact also which sort of refute the REM period theory. Theorically, when you go to bed and WILD, you don’t enter immediatly in a REM sleep. So you wouldn’t be able to dream. In fact, it seems that WILDers enter in a dream state just after beeing asleep.
That’s quite mysterious… :confused:

Howdy.
Im back with another question. But no Lucid Dreams yet. :sad:

It says that when you LD, you can do whatever your imagination can think of basically.

Which worries me. When im awake my imagination is pretty…well its pretty weird. lol

So im a little…i geuss afraid of what i might come across when i lucid dream. Like all that power to control my dreams. I dont want to end up in a coma or something becuase i LD something heaps bad and i cant wake up from it or something.

So i there like a emergency exit or something for LD’s? Or would the dream automatically end at the end of the REM session?

You don’t have too much to worry about. Someone with more experience may know an ‘emergency exit’, but for myself I’ve had a dozen LDs or so and they all end before I’d like them too.