Effective RCs and when to do them?

First off, hello! I just joined tonight, and I’m really interested. I was introduced to lucidity by the movie “Waking Life” which I’m sure all of you have seen. I look forward to hanging out on these forums :smile: And without further ado…

My question -If this question gets asked alot, I’m sorry. I didn’t see it stickied

Mainly, I’ve looked at all the reality checks that are common, especially the ones from the lucidity wiki, which rate dependability, speed, and discreetness. But I could not decide which ones would be easiest to get into a daily schedule? And I was wondering what you guys do. Maybe I could get some ideas from experienced LD’ers.

I think I could easily manage to pinch my nose and try to breathe in. That’s a pretty common practice given allergies and such. I don’t think jumping will be in order, and I don’t wear a watch, nor do I carry a mirror.

Any advice on which ones I could use? Or reasons?

Also, when do you do them? I can easily think of common everyday occurences to coincide with my RCs, but once again, hearing from experienced people always helps. You can’t grow without learning from those that are learned.

Thanks! I’m anxious to hear your replies, tomorrow :smile:

well u should mainly do a RC when you wake up, during the day and before u go to bed. As for wat to do, a couple of the things you can check are, how many fingers u have on ur hands (check it twice and see if it changes) and to look at a clock (and look again to see if that changes).

Yes the best thing fore me to do was that every time u wake up not just in the morning do a RC and I use the same RC as ShadowFX i count my fingers.
I do not like the nose RC… It have failed twice fore me :sad: but it woke good fore many people…

And welcome to the forum :partying_face:

I do RCs whenever I remember to do them (like right now!), but what’s really important is, that you actually consider that you might currently be in a dream. Upon remembering, I simply look around looking for strange things and events and then a) Look at my hand and count my fingers, maybe twice b) pinch my nose and try to breathe and c) close one eye and try to see my nose.

When I’m lazy, I only count my fingers or just check if my nose’s still there (for example, when I’m driving, I only do a quick RC that won’t keep my eyes off the street for too long! I use “driving a vehicle” and “brakes (not) working” as a dreamsign.

Most of the time, I remember to do an RC when something ‘strange’ happens or when I haven’t done anything for a short time (since then I automatically ‘step back’ and remember that this could not be real).

freddurgan, I see I need not bother linking to the appropriate section. Anyway, I would say that the easiest to get into are the ones which are nice and discreet. These take the least effort and you can be sure of being able to do them anytime, anywhere. They are pretty quick to do, but that isn’t necessarily a good thing. You need to really accept that it could be a dream before you do a reality check, and that will probably up your reality check time to about 20 seconds.

The most important times to do an RC are:

• Immediately after waking and perhaps another time very soon after, to prevent missing any FAs
  • As soon as any even mildly wierd situation occurs. You have no idea how often you miss this :wink:
  • At other times during the day, the more the better.

Again, the more the better the more the better the more the better… ~10 RCs a day will almost certainly yield very few results. ~100 RCs is more like it. More is always appreciated.

When we got this huge new painting with a woman’s face whose hair is a mountain and put it up on the wall besides my dorm door, I took the opportunity to start doing a RC by counting my fingers, everytime I passed by it.

It’s almost impossible to not see her, it’s almost like I’m greeting her. This means I do a RC at least 10 times a day, often more.
I usually do a RC when I travel somewhere, since I often do it in my dreams.

I find the counting fingers method the best, since it doesn’t look very odd.