Novice Dreamers need LD mentors!

Some people new to lucid dreaming have a lot of the same questions. Like “how real is it?” “what is it like?” “can you really do anything?”
People like personal answers, and not everyone reads or is satisfied with a similar question/thread/tutorial by someone else.
I think it would be helpful to create a means for people that prefer to learn this way to be able to.

Thanks DreamAddict, good point. I have noticed that things that work for some may not work for others, for example, I have had 3 ld’s and 2 were WILD’s when I first fell asleep(not WBTB). Which I have read is real uncommon, But for the life of me I cannot DILD. I really don’t need an mentor (or coach) now myself, I am no expert (at all) but I am coming along. I just think for the newer people that come along, it might be helpfull. I don’t know about you guys, but the only people I discuss LD with is the people in this forum. So I don’t have a person I can try certain things with, or learn from. (My friends don’t get into these types of things.)

PS. if this doesn’t make much since forgive me, I’ve had a few beers! :wink:

I had a LD tutor, two friends who have had LDs their entire lives,

both, erm, kinda wierd people.

Perhaps it would be helpful. Especially since so many people seem to want it. I just do not want to see it go the way of the adoptions section from another site. Where people sign up to get adopted and never get any replies. It can lead to hurt feeling. But, we could always try it out and if it does not work then Q can always stop it.

Now that I think about it I think the problem here on LD4all would be the opposite. Every one would want to adopt new people.

haha, i can just see some1 introducing themselves on the forum, already a bit freaked out by some of the weird stuff some ppl associate with LDing, and then being asked if he would like to, “join the family?”. lol haha :wink: :content:

hmm seems like a good idea, alot of it i think would help both sides tuts and students alike, but instead of the forum u could always trail the chat room out have a session time and get a whole group of people in there to answer questions although that is a little less personal it is quicker, but also could be harder i dont know just throwing a few things into the air :wink:

I think that would be best. With setting up a time. I have been to the chat room a few times, and there is never a discussion on LD.

really? hmm everytime that i am in there there is ussaly a talk of dreaming lol

I know some people want a setup like this since this topic keeps popping up I just don’t know if it is needed. There are always plenty of talented people on the forum every day who can answer a question. If a member feels a connection to another member they could always send that person an instant message. I don’t think there has to be a structured program for that. (Just my thoughts)

holy cow: i have the exact same situation!

really wierd… people yeah

Umm ok…

Anyway I think that this would be a good Idea, also maybe Q can add a feature in our profiles that says if we are a tutor or a student and who is our tutor or student, also maybe the student could have different levels too.

i don’t know just some random ideas…

Nothing wrong with that. That is how things get put into action, someone throws out an idea and everyone discusses it.

It is a good idea. I like the idea of giving people (especially new people) a personal connection to someone. I am just not sure how it would work in practice. We have so many members. Some are on line all the time while other people only come on once in a while. It might be hard for tutor and student to connect.

Anyway, it is something to think about. If you have more thoughts on it feel free to share.

I think not every one needs a mentor, or wants one. I guess seting people up by request. But let them know the option is there.

I just wanted to point something out incase you guys didn’t know (I read the posts and didn’t see it mentioned if it was sorry), the Dream View forum has a system like this setup up on their forum. I think that they call it adoption.

I’m not involved in it, but I think that in general it’s a good idea for beginners.

I was involved in sealife (before when I was able to visit, sheesh) for a while and what I liked about it is the “dream team” aspect. It’s nice to interect with people on a one-on-one basis, plus it helps with your intention.

Anyways…

ypm.

But why aren’t they satisfied? Isn’t “Can I practice chess” and “Can I practice music” the same question when the answer is “You can do anything”?

Isn’t “What’s the best technique” and “What’s the easiest technique” etc pretty much the same question, especially considering there shouldn’t be straight answers?

Isn’t “Will this work” and “Will that work” the same question when the answer to both is “maybe”?

I find it strange that people want personal answers even though there are plenty of threads out there which answer them perfectly well.

…Sometimes even with appropriate titles.

r3m0t, I play guitar. I learned as much as I was going to learn by myself from books in about 3 months. After that I was stuck making the same mistakes, making bad habits, worse. It wasn’t until I started playing with someone that I actually started getting better. LD seems to be like any skill you have to learn. You get better as you go. But if you think you are doing something right, you will keep doing it even if it is wrong until someone tells you so.

Also, I have about 3 posts that haven’t even been answered. Or if they have it wasn’t the answer I was looking for. I don’t blame anyone for that, I realize sometimes posts get lost in the shuffle. But I am not going to fill the forum up with the same question, just cause it got missed.

PS: I realize the people with experience come here to help others, more than to learn something new and If this comes off to you as I don’t think your doing enough. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING :grin: . Sorry.

Well yes and no. Ld4all has become a huge site and I could see how someone who is new would have a hard time finding what they are looking for. Even the obvious topics like the big sticky topics cold be a bit overwhelming for someone who comes here knowing nothing. It is just one of the consequences of the success of the site.

So, new people looking for advice start a new topic and we end up with lots of people asking the same or similar questions. It does not bother me so much to take a quick second to answer them. Will a mentoring program help with this? Perhaps but, I think no matter what you do there will be people asking the same question.

Yes i have a wonderful idea, basically when you say lucid tutor, you mean someone that will be your shadow, you know or sheperd, thats basically a term used in schools as your personal helper, when i was in school i was assigned to one he was a year older than me and he would help me in my first year and make sure i was happy.

Anyway this whole idea on this topic is very interesting, i believe there should be a seperate thread where people could sign in and the moderator for that thread will assign one shadow (tutor) per person for help in lucid dreaming and i believe that the shadow does not have to be an experinced lucid dreamer because there is not that many nearly perfect lucid dreamers here, or i would imagin. But i thought that even if we were not assigned as shadows but more like partners who would help eachother throught a year, then i find just communicated in this sort of way would probably make us lucid dream a lot more than we are currently doing now. So perhaps a member part should be made on this forum for this. Where each day we will be sent an automated email telling you that you must singn into this part of the forum and meet up at such a such time to mentor your LD partner and vice versa.

Thats just a thought, i think it will make it the best part of the internet, such a idea would be better than reading a book or doing anything else. Just lucid dreaming.

With a mentoring program there will only be more people asking the same question.

Imagine, for example, a new category in the forum, and each thread is titled: “{name of student} mentored by {name of volunteer mentor}” - How would anybody find anything useful in there at all, apart from the students?

“Ah, they should post as normal, but with an LD mentor to answer” you might say. Well, are you discouraging other people from answering? Are you saying that the mentors’ answers are implicitly better and that students should generally act upon or believe their answers over others’?

Are we starting a certification course? “Post bought to you by {person}, has been mentor to sixteen people”?

Only joking. I just thought it up.

El Gordo: How can I say this? Playing guitar is different. With lucid dreaming, all you need to do is follow the actions, think the thoughts (and then always some more), be confident and remain patient. That’s it. Right? Surely? Pretty much.

People can’t lucid dream together, or at least, I’ve seen few mentions of it in the forum. To experiment with shared dreaming is something different again - obviously you need a partner! (or two, etc…)

honeyjigga: No, there aren’t many “nearly perfect” dreamers around. Or maybe I’m just seeing my end. :wink:

Anyway. What stuff was your personal helper there for? I would list: Bullying, problems managing homework, getting lost, being shy/not finding friends, anything else?

Do these apply to a forum?

El Gordo again: “If this comes off to you as I don’t think your doing enough. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING cheese . Sorry.”

At first, I read that without my punctuation adder on, and you seemed to be suggesting that I’m not doing enough. Consider making your posts clearer :wink:

EDIT: The quick reply box is kinda thin so I didn’t realise that I was alternating text lines with blank lines. Now a bit more readable :smile:

r3m0t, if there is a request for this what is the problem with providing it?
“newbie adoptions” is a popular activity seen on many modern forums(not just dream related.) It’s something that helps people “get their feet wet” and learn not just about dreams but the operations of this message board or technical questions. Maybe a visitor here is new to the internet all together and might feel more comfortable if a friendly person offered to help them along with any question they might have.