What am I doing wrong?!

Yesterday night I had a lucid dream but I didn’t wake up immeadiatly.

I say to my self “I am dreaming” and I sorta repeated it to my self again.

Well, everything faded to black. The dreamscape, the DCs the dream objects, it all faded away and I was in a black abyss.

I woke up about 5 seconds later. Why did this happen? I’ve had 3 lucid dreams and this is the second time it’s happened. Only last time things started appearing.

Is this normal?

As people will tell you, this is very common for rookie lucid dreamers. Just keep at it and you’ll get better and better.

DMST, I hope you don’t mind me saying that’s not very useful.

Garlic, next time you become lucid, try one of these. With a bit of luck, you can get back into your dream even after all goes black and/or you wake. Check these.

This problem used to plague me too. It doens’t any more - I don’t have lucid dreams :wink:

I think I triedthe hand rubbing though I can’t remember fully as I didn’t have my DD with me right as I woke up… it took me 20 minutes from when I awoke until I actually logged the dream down I believe.

The instant I said “I am dreaming” everything went black, I honestly felt like crying. I was still in the dream but everything was black. It was all vivid and I could see my hands but I decided to fly… there was still a black abyss and as I lifted a bit off the ground I felt like I was rumbling then I woke.

I was just trying to dream while in the black state. It’s weird because everything is black all around you, it’s all dark, yet I can still see my self when I look at my hands… and sadly that makes the experience even more real and I wake up more depressed.

You stepped into The Black Void. I know our good friend Mr. Void very well.

I see the Void as an opportunity, however, and often deliberately go into the Void. Keeping walking along, stay calm, and a new dream (usually brighter, more vivid and stable) will slowly materialize in front of you.

When I’m walking along in the Void, I often try to think of the dream setting I want to materialize, and sometimes this influences the new dream.

Sorry but I had his same problem my first couple LDs too. Now I’ve had about a dozen of them and it never happens. Time and practice cures the blackout problem.

I agree with it Monitor199a sounds like the void to me as well. This is actually a good thing. The void comes in between dreams. If you just stay calm the dream will come to you. The trick here is not to wake up or fall into unconscious sleep. You want to keep your mind active but not to active. Like Monitor199a mentioned you could just think about the dream you want. You could also try meditation. Don’t do anything to active like trying to fly as that might wake you up.

You can try some of the LD prolonging techniques like rubbing your hands, looking at you hands or whatever so long as it is not too active.(no spinning) I have a theory that this might help push you into REM sleep and of course dreaming.

Good luck

This happened to me before, I stepped into the “void” as you put it. And a dreamscape appeared before me but I didn’t think of the dream scape, but I was thinking about it earlier in the day. You can find it in my DD on this site, all my LD’s are red for easy access.

It was very weird, when I was writing about the void I had no memory but when I wrote it on paper it like came to me… it felt almost as if I was telling a story to my self but I can sure as hell remember it after writing it for some reason.

I’ve gone into the void three times so far… one I wasn’t lucid though.

I tried to fly and that’s exactly what woke me up. I want to fly though sometime, should I just do it when I’m out of this void?

I want to experience the void!

Dont think about the fact that you just became lucid. Make a quick metal note of it and then go have fun.

But be careful not to loose it!