Argumentitive guy, lol

I start a topic up at the InvsionFree forums about lucid dreaming, and got a lot of responses back. Some people were saying it was too good to be true. Others decided to take up lucid dreaming. (I directed them to this site :happy: )

Then there were those replies “I don’t dream”. So I had to explain that everyone does dream, and they can easily recall it.

Anyway, there was this argumentitive mod who claimed he didn’t dream at all. He said doctors said that his brain was in overuse during the day, and that he didn’t dream. I said that if you didn’t enter REM sleep, which is when you dream, then you would die.

So he went onto say how he still entered REM sleep. Anyway, I started explaining how the neuron networks work, and why you should dream during REM sleep.

Annoyingly enough, while trying to find a document to backup my statements, I found a document thast disproved them. Grrr!!! I losed the argument.

Look here: bbsonline.cup.cam.ac.uk/Preprint … solms.html

wow Techno. After I read about 20 dream related threads I thought I would pick this thread because the title didn’t sound “dreamy.” :wink:
… but a link to a 27 page article about dreams and REM!! :lol:

too much to read now, but are you saying some people don’t dream!

I know not all dreams happen in REM, but this shouldn’t mean you lost the argument. Google can usually point you to some page or article to make anyone look right. :lmao:

well … maybe he doesn’t “dream” but if he’s in REM, doesn’t that mean that if he could get lucid in REM (for him he’d just be lying in bed doing nothing?) that he could create a dream?

I mean… you can be lucid in all sorts of weird states of mind… I’d think if you aren’t completely insane or brain dead, your subconscious HAS to have a model of the real world, and if you can just try to step “out of body” shouldn’t that give you a dream, no matter who you are, no matter what chemistry issues you have, no matter what sleep disorder?

Many times those with sleep problems simply dream of being in bed, thinking they are still awake.

I also remember reading in one of the magazines recently,that some people(very rare condition though)dont get REM phase.So the guy might be righ.

Without REM you die unless you wake up every 90 minuets and stay up for 90 minuets.

holy reality, hwo would he become lucid if he doesn’t dream?

Normal person dies without REM.That doesnt have to mean is same for everyone.Its not to argue,just sharing what ive read…im gonna take a look into article again ,i think there was even name for that disorder.
Take care:)

I remember learning in psychology how some people with brain damage no longer have REM sleep. So you must be able to live without REM.

Interestingly though, some of them still continued to dream and have the same recall as when they previously did have REM stage.