disadvantages of lucid dreaming?

Too lazy to read the other posts so sorry if this has already been posted. lol :happy:

I don’t know if this is true, but if you go so far into the subconcious mind in an LD you may fall into a coma. But theres like, a 0.5 chance of that happening.

so wouldnt that mean 50% chance?

That is just a myth as far as I know. Absolutely no evidence to support it.

Never heard it! :smile:

The thought of having a LD to me is not a bit frightening, i can’t stand that feeling i get when i am breating in a LD, its like a huge echo chamber, also if you are like me and look forward to a LD every night… well let me rephrase taht, try to look back and think about the moment that you become lucid, that moment when the RC fails and everything goes blurry, that is a very intense moment and my mind has began to fear it (don’t ask me why), also during normal sleep your heart rate is very normal, and with a LD your heartrate is very accelerated, so what ends up happening is you don’t get AS MUCH rest, but you do still rest. :peek:

I think 0.5% chance was meant, or at least seems more likely, or else all lucid dreamers would be going into coma’s every other dream…

0.5 is a one in two hundred chance right? meanign if you have two hundred LD’s, statsically you’ll be in a coma.

That’s not true. Cos if it was… I’d say Pedro is in hospital right about now… and he’d have been in there for a while…
The same with everyone who has at least one LD a night, you’d be commatised in two hundred (or less days).

I cant think of any reason to why LD’ing would be bad in any way…
And I doubt you could go into a coma from it, its just a dream right?

You could look at a clock, look away and then look back. You’ll have noticed that one of the hands (the thinest one) would have moved.
You would then jump out of the seven story window and flap your arms like a lunatic.
You would also then die a couple of seconds later.

That’s be pretty harmful…

:wink:

haha :content:

i would say that a problem would b getting addicted to it :wink:

It’s not all that bad … like my oxygen addiction. I can live happy. :content:

lol damn right but DA we are killing our selves by breathing :wink:

I don’t believe this thing either. Maybe it means 0.5% of those who get too far into the subconscious? Or 50% of them? Sounds like there are several types of lucid dreams, and one of them is dangerous. But I don’t know how it could have been possible to count the percentage. Did they ask dozens of coma patients how far they reached in their dreams? :wow: Well, it is a bad feature of dreams – someone dies asleep, and you have no possibility to ask them, what you should not do in your dreams not to repeat their story… :grinnn: Life is very dangerous at all. Maybe normal dreams are even more dangerous, because you are already shifted to think that everything you feel is real.

Yes I’d say extreme addiction could be a problem. Then you get all kind of neurotic and behavioral disorders because you don’t want to wake up anymore, because LDs are so much more vivid and alive than irl. You stay in bed all day long so you loose your job, then your wife… and you might end up on the street due to high alimentation costs, until finally you decide to kill yourself in an attempt to dream the endless dream after death.

I think this danger exists.

i dont think you could get that addicted… :-/

Fortunately, even if you were so addicted that you never wanted to get out of bed, you simlpy wouldn’t be able to sleep all the time. Any more than 12 or 13 hours, and you simply wouldn’t need any more rest, so you’d probably be unable to get back to sleep. Anyway, most people can’t LD frequently enough for it to be a practical replacement to real life, and those that can, for some reason don’t take the ability seriously. It’s only when you’ve had to put great amount of work into achieving results, that you actually appreciate the experience itself. I just don’t think it’s worth mentioning that there may be dangers involved with lucid dreaming.

I cannot prove it, but it seems to me that people with this type of mind just won’t be able to have many lucid dreams, because it needs more psychical stability than passion. Maybe people knowing statistics will correct me… :shy: But if someone has such desire to live in other realities, he is more likely to get drugs than train himself to have really lively and interesting dreams. That’s just my opinion, but my opinion can be appreciated, because my psychological type is just on the edge. :grin:

Well, I hope it is still possible to practice LDing and preserve sanity, and normal people usually don’t jump out of the window until they are absolutely sure they are dreaming. :smile: But there are many other ways to go too far in reality check. For example, normal people, when they see a tornado coming, or a mad dog running towards them, or their boss angry with them, first try to get out of this situation. But a person stuck to LDs must think, “Eh, it’s so much like my dreams, let me first count my fingers”. :grin: It’s like the idea that people playing computer games too much are easier to kill in spite of their faster reaction, because they deeply believe they will just resurrect at the beginning of the level. I don’t say that it is possible or that I know it has happened to somebody, but many people recommend just that thing: presumption of dreaming. In fact, a perfect dreamer is the one who always knows what world he is in. But on the way to this state so many extremes are possible… :eh: I think, it would be a good idea not to do anything suicidal in very realistic dreams. They are given us not for playing with fire. :cool:

Yes, but that person can have a very serious depression, and all his waking life might look like grey shades. So LDing might become his only access to a “better” world, where he can live his fantasies and do things he could never dream of irl. He can’t sleep all day long ofcourse, but whenever he’s awake, he probably hides from society and do RCs obsessively. I know it’s a bit… extreme, and it probably didn’t occur so far, but I don’t think it’s an impossible scenario.

You’ve got a point. In this case, passion is transformed into extreme obsession which then deteriorates psychic stability. But I’m not sure though about the correlation between obsessive LD induction and psychic instability. If the instability isn’t too grave, I think he can still get lots of LDs due to his obsessive behaviour.

Yes but I don’t think you can get a more vivid hallucination from drugs than during a LD.

Ouch, that hurt… I mean… no, Sureal, that’s a fallacy.

Say you roll a die 6 times. The chances of hitting 6 are 1/6, right? But if you roll a die 6 times, your chances of getting a six are not 1/6 * 6. They are (1 - (1 - 1/6) ^ 6).

So the chances of having a coma, after 100 LDs, would be (1 - (1 - 0.005) ^ 100) ~= 40%. After 200 LDs, (1 - (1 - 0.005) ^ 200) ~= 63%.

That’s the chance of at least one coma.

Besides, hasn’t anybody here considered (recently) whether Pedro may have been making it up?

I don’t believe in it anyway. Why would anybody enter into a coma after a lucid dream? How is it (biologically) different from a normal dream?

1. You could spend the rest of the time doing RCs :wink:

2. I agree. I don’t think it’s easy to become addicted to LDs.

3. Worth mentioning where? :smile: And you have to remember… when there are dangers or possible dangers to a minority, you should put warnings, even if this will put some other people off. Think Prozac. :content: