Please help me control his sleepwalking

Hello everybody. :wave: I just joined today and think this forum is a brilliant idea.
Before we get to the problem, I’d just like to give you some background information first.
As for myself, I have lucid-dreamt before, I never really practised any techniques, I would just realise in a dream I am dreaming, and then have fun controlling the situations and happenings until I got bored and wanted to dream normally again! My question today is actually about my (ex, sort-of) boyfriend. We are currently living in different countries so are not really together. He has been sleep-walking for the last ten years (he’s now 23), and always has the same sort of dream. The theme is always him being the victim, and people chasing him. He gets out of his bed at night and does wierd stuff like blocking his bedroom door, or, more extremely climbing out of his bedroom window and running down the street in his boxers, and then waking up covered in scratches… Once his mam caught him in the last minute while he was trying to jump out a balcony window six storeys up… An interesting fact is that he never, ever slept-walked while we were together, neither when we are living together or even at the start of the relationship before we moved in with each other, but before we were together and now since we have broken up, he sleep-walks regularly.

So, that’s the background info, hope I am not rattling on too much. My question is this, how can he learn how to LD so that he can control these dreams and stop them? Normal RCs such as switching on lights won’t help because the switch actually will work as he is physically at the light switch. Questions such as “How did I get here?” don’t help either because the dream starts when he is in bed and there are people in the room wanting to kill him. Does anyone have similar experiences or ideas on how to teach him how to LD? Thanks so much, Dorcas. :tongue:

Sleepwalking has nothing to do with dreams and do not occur during rem sleep. I know the dreams sound related to the sleepwalking but, he could very well be remembering dreams that occurred earlier in the night when he wakes up in these “sleep walking episodes”

I highly recommend that he goes to see a doctor.

Creepy. Maybe doctors have some kind of medication for that. Even if he was an expert lucid dreamer he still probably wouldn’t be able to be lucid 100% of the time and it would still be risky.

Umm…i would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a doctor. Wow…almost jumping off of a 6 story building. I havnt seen cases that bad. Thats dangerous…and also…LD has no connection with sleepwalking, as milod said. He was probably just thinking of a seperate dream.

This does sound a little too exagerating…

This sleepwalking sounds like a real sleeping disorder - i also recommend to go to a doctor - maybe they can do sleep research on him.