what are the main methoods of inducing a dream?

what are the main methoods of inducing a dream?

There are 2 main methods :

• Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming (WILD) : you go to bed and, by different means ( counting, visualizing, etc. ) fall asleep without losing your consciousness.
  • Dream Induced Lucid Dreaming (DILD) : you are asleep and dreaming and the principle is to make you aware that you are dreaming. It’s generally based on self-suggestion. The main stream is called Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dreaming (MILD).

You can find some information in the “wings” above the LD4all forum : How/inducing and Starting.
Very good introduction is given in the Wikibook/Lucid_Dreaming :
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lucid_Dreaming
in the chapter Induction Techniques.
Further information in “The BIG MILD topic” :
https://community.ld4all.com/t/the-big-mild-topic-part-ii/8731
and “The BIG WILD topic” :
https://community.ld4all.com/t/the-big-wild-topic-part-xii/10704
Have good dreams ! :smile:

Isgaroth…for the DILD tech…try doing RC’s regularly. This can UP your chances on having a LD. if you program your mind to do a reality check like every hour or something…then in your dream…you will perform one and become lucid.

… and keep a dream journal. Very important!

ok, i obviusly forgot to mention, i´ve been doing this for a loong time(i already know those you mentioned), i just wanted to know more methods, and a good overview of them all. if there was just some guy out there that knew them all and could name them all in a huge list or something

that would take all night :smile: there are many made up methods

I would not consider DILD to be a technique in itself, because it varies so much.

For main techniques I would list WILD, MILD, and VILD. These are often combined with RCs and WBTB.

Honourable mentions include using a Novadreamer and a few other stuff on this forum, such as “Technodreamer’s MILD variation”.

R3n0t, I’m surprised you haven’t suggested the wikibook yet. Thats a really good resource with a lot of neat, interesting, helpful, and generally good information. Try checking that out Isgaroth.

the website told me about mild but it didnt explain anything about wild.
Is there a place which can explain the steps. i know vaguely from what people have posted what to do, but i want to make sure that they are correct.
The big thread about wild is too big to read every post!

It’s certainly because I suggested it before…

Isgaroth, you’ll find the main induction techniques in the Wikibook.
Some other funny techniques are listed in this topic :
Rare techniques: OILD, NILD, TILD, SILD, RILD
And of course, you have the LD4all search engine, with the requests *ILD or induction AND techniques.
Good search ! :tongue:

Hi exidez ! :wave: Welcome on LD4all !

I don’t know where you can find a short explanation of WILD on the forum. :confused:
But as I said, you can find a good introduction in the Wikibook/Lucid_Dreaming where WILD is briefly told about.
I’m not a WILD expert, :shy: so I couldn’t give you very pertinent explanations, but if after reading the wiki, you have more questions about WILD, feel free of asking them ! There are a lot of WILDers here who can easily answer.

Basilus West, I think you’re right and it was because you suggested it first. :razz:

exidez do you think the wikibook isn’t very good on WILD? I’m patchy on WILD myself, althoguh I don’t know about the book.

hmmm passive aggressive??? sry wrong forum.

Do you mean methods of inducing lucidity or a method of inducing a dream of definite content, whenever it will be lucid or not?

lucidity…

Well, I found a possibility to classify something! So, the main two streams are really DILD and WILD. Either have lots of variations. Basic DILD techniques:

1. Testing reality in real life and translating this habit into the dream life. The testing can be done through a set of standard RC (listing all of them would make another big post) or through just critical looking at the surroundings trying to find something irrational. Can be made more effective by using personal dream signs, chosen after analyzing the dream diary, and getting used to asking if it is a dream every time when something resembling one of these dream signs is met… Though such dependence on a definite set of situations can restrict the number of dreams, which could become lucid, to some standard variations. So, sometimes these techniques don’t work for people whose dreams and dream ego are radically different from their waking life.
  2. Self-programming to recognizing the dream state or testing reality in the next dream (irrespectively of its content). Can be done through suggestion, hypnosis, self-hypnosis and so on, in the whole variety of techniques, which are used not only for LDing, but also on many other purposes… I don’t understand anything in this stuff, and I am not very suggestible myself, so I’ll leave the explanation and classification to more competent people.
  3. Inducing a ND of definite content, creating an artificial dream sign. It can be an action, a place, and object, a situation… These methods have two steps (though sometimes, like any other method, they can bring a LD the next night…): first you learn to program you dreams, then you learn to recognize these programmed states. VILD, opposing nightmare monsters, finding a specific thing or place, looking at your hands in a dream - all these techniques are often practiced this way. The last two methods (2 and 3) can be united in one group, because both of them use the possibility of implicit, subconscious recognition the dreaming state without conscious awareness of this fact and its consequences.
  4. Learning to recognize dreams. Without any signs and signals. There are different methods dealing with chakras and so on, but in fact, it is just a learned skill.
  5. Inducing by external signals (sent from real life to the sleeping person). These signals are embedded into dream and, if you are ready to notice and understand them, they lead to lucidity. Novadreamer and similar devices, computer programs and so on. (Some methods of this sort don’t need complicated equipment, like holding something while falling asleep and recognizing the sound of falling… Though this technique can be also placed in the next group, or even among WILD methods).
  6. Inducing by internal signals. Such techniques are not widely used, but they exist. They include creating conditions, inducing definite dream situations… Drinking much water before going to bed can make you dream about toilets, and drinking no water the previous day can make you look for a spring in this night’s dream. These situations are then recognized as dream signs.
  7. Indirect means raising the probability of having a LD… Binaural beats, special food, special sleep patterns (for example, WBTB or CAT), even chemicals… Other people can say much more about this.
    Basic WILD techniques… I know less about them, but all of them include relaxation and concentrating on something to keep your mind awake. They can be roughly classified such way:
  8. Doing nothing. Some people can just save awareness while falling asleep. They don’t do anything special for this (certainly, they have to train many years until they are able to do this).
  9. Concentrating on a definite thought or intellectual operation (remembering a poem about lucid dreaming, counting till 200, doing more complicated maths).
  10. Concentrating on HI. Suitable for people who have many HH.
  11. Visualizations. Concentrating on an image being created with your own imagination. It doesn’t need to be a purely visual picture… It is possible to concentrate on imagining sounds, feelings, anything… I read recently about an ancient technique called “the bee”, when you imagine a buzzing insect flying around your head. I cannot even think about it, but people say it works… The images can be static or dynamic. It is even possible to combine visualization and counting, imagining glowing digits or something like that.
  12. Concentrating on the definite points of the body… I don’t know anything about these Tibetan things.
  13. Concentration on SP feelings: illusions of moving, swinging, vibrations, noises…
  14. Concentration on external objects… Sound from the vent or pictures on the wallpaper… Until they begin to change into something dreamy. I never thought it could work, but some people say it does.
    :cool: Like in DILD, there are many indirect methods, helping to fall asleep quickly and stay aware while using any of the previous methods. You are more likely to fall asleep earlier than forget what you were going to do, if you have just woken up in the middle of the night or are very tired physically.
    In fact, everything I have written here is rubbish. But when I was a justice warrior, I got used to arrange everything… I hope other people will write something more useful (though everything can be found in other places in fact).