Weird state: increased creativity

I have been falling into a strange state every now and then. When it happens, I feel pretty tired, but still awake, and I can move around and stuff. What happens is that I can think up and play totally new songs in my head instantly (the tunes, no lyrics). Once, I’m sure I thought up at least 8 different ones.

But the thing is… I’m not a musician! I’m not even musically inclined in the least!

Because of this, I couldn’t write or record it in any way. So all the music is gone once I forget about it.

But when it’s happening, it’s so easy to do, and it actually seems quite vivid. And it’s actually good music (well, in my opinion).

What’s up with this? Could it be that I’m actually a really musically inclined person, and I just don’t know it yet? Or is this just a regular phenomenon, increased creativity in an altered state of mind?

This sounds so familiar. (I miss my keyboard!) Have you ever tried to make music on a computer? I do, but the music that comes from experiences like that is sometimes hard to “capture” or “translate” to notes on a keyboard. You could try to hum the tune until you know it properly. Then you might record it on a phone etc.

Once, some 6 years ago, I got a song that way after lying sleepless in my bed. It was complete with lyrics and all, and it was playing in my head so I couldn’t sleep. I got up, wrote down the lyrics, but had no means to record the tune. I was more or less constantly humming the next day until I caught the bus to my parents’ house.

Btw, have you ever tried to imagine pictures that way? Some times it will carry over into a dream :cool:

I believe we all have some creative ability deep inside us. Even if we do not know it yet. It could be that in this altered state you were able to get in touch with that part of your self somehow.

Increased creativity has to do with an increase of alpha and theta in your brain (a lowering of percentages of beta waves often go with that). Your less rational then and more feeling and associative orientated.
i myself but also lots of my friends and ppl i talked to have this.
There have been even been studies about.

Alpha combined with theta brain waves, witch u can have when your really tired or just woke up, or barely woken up and still slumber give an increase in creativity and association.

About your musical talent? no idea thats up to you to judge that

Jeff

Sounds like your using your right side of the brain for a change :smile:

I can do this almost at will, its all about relaxing and drifting off into a kind of day dream, if you do this enough maybe you can do it at will like me, just try drifting off some time :smile:

Mystery

i get this… falling asleep, alpha it must be, or theta? Low Beta?

Well at any rate, sometimes I can loosely direct it… oooh my, what was that song… well I had a song in my head, but JUST the drums… I think it may have been a Smashing Pumpkins song, and all of a sudden I relaized I was hearing it and had been for a long time… so of course, I just “thought” the other music parts and they appeared

but this abruptly broke me out of the state.

The problem with this state, for me, is that YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO THINK AT ALL… not even going “hey i’m hearing music” you just sit and listen, you don’t play with it, you don’t direct it, or you’ll wake up.

In effect it’s a very light trance… now if I get in it after I’ve had some sleep during the night then sometimes I can write music, and yes it’s amazing… I may have just been writing an already existing dream theater song in this forthcoming example, but… I was making all these great solos and stuff and it sounded so fantastic, but it had the exact tonal characteristics that i associate with dream theater, so it might have in fact just been a song of theirs that I unconcsioouly knew.

at any rate… i might purchase a neurofeedback device and try to better train these states… I’m making progress sure, but hey, success is success, does it matter if i “cheat” or not? It’s a natural thing once you learn it… that’s what matters I would think.

Oh man Abyss. I know exactly what your talking about. This used to ‘happen to me’ every once in awhile. Seemed to start around the age of 12. Its been steadily getting more recurrent. I can almost make this happen at will now and it only ever occours just before bed. Somtimes I’ll stay up way past what I expected to just to listen to more of my made up tunes.

Some of the music that I heard banging around my head is the best i’ve ever heard. I just feel the music running through me. Its like my noggin’ is some kind of cosmic jukebox, plucking notes from the stars and dictating them to my self playing instruments. Man some of the stuff i’ve heard…it just doesn’t compare to anything. I don’t really know how to describe it other than ‘transcendant’.

I’m not a musician either! Not really…I play like two songs on the guitar. Thats about it. But I don’t really need to be, with whats going on in my skull.

I consider this a strong blessing. I’ tried to explain it to my step mother once and she just got a really confused look on her face. Hrm… I’ve never heard of anyone else being able to do this. Glad as hell I came on this board. :grin:

Don’t feel so alien anymore. :neutral:

[b][color=darkred]
I get songs in my head all the time !!!
especially early in the morning… . . . .

I’m a musician, this is good, cause i can hear the song…(totaly original) and then transfer it to guitar and then write lyrics for it… . . …
I plan on getting like kurt cobain or someone to appear in my dream and teach me a song… haha…

that’d be kool

U should take up music !!
u sound inclined… . music is heavenly. . . [/color][/b]

Hey man, thats kind of funny you should ask this question. Im a music major in college that plays piano, clarinet, saxophones, drums, flute and trumpet and also bass clarinet for symphonic band. I hear things like songs and melodies that I create over 80% of my entire waking day…thats hours and hours of nonstop music. The only time it really stops is when I myself am listening to music. Since about last year I have started meditating to increas my creativity and it has definatly worked. Im a jazz musician so all of those "thoughts " that I hear in my head I must learn how to play through my saxophone. My favorite related Quote is “don’t die with your music still in you”.

I’m the same way. I’m not a musican and don’t create music, but when I hear a catchy tune or song, I play it in my head forever, day and night, or at least until I hear something new and catchy. Then I play that in my head,… ect. I remember a period when I heard this awesome song, and nothing was quite as good after that, and the song stuck in my head for about 2 months.

Basically, I have a song in my head 100% of the time, unless I stop to think. It’s very irritating to MILD into a LD with these damn songs all over my head.

Isn’t it wierd how one wakes up every morning with a new song in their head?
I mean i dont know about you, but i wake up every morning and have a new song in my head that i will think about for the rest of the day.
and i dont sleep with a radio on…

Lucky you. I always have the same song in my head. Maybe I should sleep with a radio on. Maybe a song will burn into my mind while I sleep and I won’t realize it. Then wake up the next day with a song I don’t remember, but it was burned into my mind.