One Possible reason for bad dream recall

Anyone ever had a dream in the early stage of REM and then a very long period of non-dreaming before waking up?

It makes it harder to recall your dream, as sometimes you get up thinking you haven’t dreamt at all!

Any suggestions to combat this?

yes, I dream often in early stage sleep. Usually very short dreams, and the most easy to forget.

The most longest and vivid dreams seem to be after waking up towards the end of my sleep cycle.

Yes your first dream of the night can be very short. As a general rule for most people the first dream is only like 5 -10 min.

there is an easy way to fix that…set an alarm or something to wake you up a couple hours after going to bed and write down ur dream really quick then go back to bed, u might even have another one u can write down in the morning.

If you wake up during deep sleep will you still be able to remember your dream? Or will most likely have blanked out

Multiple WBTB is another effective method that worked well for me.
I used to set the alarm clock to ring every hour starting 6 am, and then write down a dream at every awakening.

I use my mobile phone to wake me up during each REM-period since it can have up to 9 alarms :cool: After “practicing” for a while I can remember my dreams when the alarm goes off. My recall used to be bad with an alarm, but now it’s better when I use the alarm :tongue:

And since this usually happens during REM if I have managed to time it correctly I remember my dreams very well. If if happens during non-REM I can still remember some of my dreams, but not as much.

I used to have no trouble remembering my dreams, but ever since I’ve been telling myself to remember them, I can’t… The last three nights have been dreamless, or at least I can’t remember the dreams…

I’m gonna try to get to bed earlier, I’m hopeing that I’ll have more luck with more sleep.

I recently (this month) had 3 LDs in a row, the first 2 were considerably shorter than the final one and indeed harder to remember…