string theory....

…anyone know about it? well if you dont its the solution for everything. its a ekvation wich binds all the energies in the universe(es) together.
the strings are vibrating in 11 dimensions withing a atom and tell the atom what it should be…a iron atom for exampel. I said 11 dimensions, but we only know of 4 right? (time’1 and space´3) we cant understand the other really cause the brain is not made to take notice of them, the only reality we knoe is 4 dimensions. you can think of the others like a cinema, the screen looks like 3d when its acually 2d.
the stings are quite small. if a atom would be the size of the universe the string would be the size of a tree on earth :smile:
every string is connected on a big membrane the size of the universe. this membrane is like a cd in a cdcase…and theres alot of cd´s next to eachother. this is paralell universes next to us. these univeses have strings vibrating differently and thats why we cant see, hear or feel it. the universes may look like ours, but also they may have completely different physical laws. nothing can travel between these universes…except for gravity. if you think of gravity you think of a quite strong force, pulling the enire earth to the sun right?. but also you can easily overcome it with you muscles just by lifting a pen. scientists have calculated the gravity to have the force of 1 to millions comparing to electro magnity. so the force is strong and weak at the same time. this is because somehow it can travel between the membranes (universes)
scientists are trying to prove this my smashing 2 atoms together when they reach the speed of light. this should be enough energy to let the gravity pop out of our membrane to the next and you would see this by the gravity not being there, maybe you´ve heard about this “atom-smasher” wich is located in the US. but in just some years a similar facilty will be ready in europe, being 10 times as strong and will prob give an answer.
but the problem is that we had 5 versions of this theory, and how can the single solution to everything come in 5 versions? well not long ago a quite clever man (prob the smartest man alive) showed how these were just five different ways to look at the same thing by using mathematics noone ever seen in the world…so maybe in some ten years we will have the answer…quite exciting isn´t it :smile:
ah also, until now it was impossible to explain what started big bang, they say there was a big bang out of nothing, but how did nothing become something, where did the energy come from? well this should have happend when 2 membranes toched eachother (they´re not static)…wich means that everyday there is a chance that there will be a new big bang (althou its obviously not happening so often luckily :smile:

i dont know if i got all this right and if there is someone to correct me i would be glad, or if you have a better way of explaining…or something more to add!!!
maybe to alot of people thinks this sounds like pure imagination…well its not, its a complex mathematical work and they didnt just “assume” thing, its all on the paper! many scientists are convinced this has to be correct, its just to perfect explination to not be true! but on the other hand its almost impossible to really prove that the strings really exists, but maybe that will be done with the atom smasher in europe…

I love hearing and reading of Michio Kaku
mkaku.org

He sometimes has long radio interviews that last for hours, and it’s very entertaining hearing him describe the theory.

I don’t have much to add other than I love hear/reading about the stuff. :smile:

Yup, that’s a very good explanation of the string theory :cool:
And electromagnetism is something like 10^39 (10 followed by 39 zeroes) times stronger than gravity.

And DreamAddict that site seems interesting :content:

ah this is what i like about this forum, ppl actually already know about all these intresting things…i bet if i asked somewhere else not alot of ppl would know what i was talking about :smile: there is sooo much information here!!! :smile:

I saw a wonderful 3-part series on String Theory. One of the scientists said that science is like fumbling around in a dark room for a lightswitch, only when you find the lightswitch you realise that there are a whole lot of other corridors and rooms leading into more darkness. Instead of finding yourself exploring a room, you find yourself in a mansion full of them.

I find it so refreshing to hear scientists talking like this, like the true Yogi’s they are. :grin: String theory is typical of modern physics theories: open minded, adventurous and willing to follow the evidence wherever it leads. I would not, however, say ST is the “answer to everything”. I mean once you have the answer to everything… then what? Maybe we’ll get a “Congratulations!” screen for completing the game? I’d say there are plenty of twists and turns yet to come.

As for the CERN atom-smasher: it is exciting but I wouldnt want to see its discoveries used by the military… maybe it would be wise to postpone such further investigation until we have sorted our act out first (ie established world peace), just to bear on the side of caution? The problem is scientists see themselves as ‘competing’ and so they will not wait. Fingers crossed we don’t blow ourselves up…

I think I have read about this theory some time ago…very interesting. Some of it might be correct although I can already see a few things that wouldn’t work.

The explanation of how the big band occured (if it did) would probably be a good one although it still wouldn’t explain where the universes came from :razz:

Good theory…I hope they’ll prove some bits of it soon.

Mystery

I think there are infinite posible “posibilities” ( kinda like a univesrse) and we just happent to be in one where there was a big bang.

oh and a god, you can’t forget him

Did anybody ever think that for every new possibility there is, in fact, an entirely new universe? And since there is infinite possibilities there are infinite universes? Time could be said as a decay, yet there would be no decay without time, what could be first? Could everything in all of existence have happened at once? And we’re just experiencing the resolution of that? Sort of like there is no time? We’re just part of something that is static? Even though we perceive it not to be. All actions since the beginning are just part of one existence? Thoughts, deep thoughts. This is why I go to this forum…

thats what I’m saying!!!

in my mind

PBS did a documentary about the string theory. It’s called The Elegant Universe

Im reading Angels & Demons now, by Dan Brown. the book he wrote right before The Da Vinci Code which is a great book i recomend it to anyone. Anyway at the start of the book it takes place at CERN’s headquarters in europe. Of course it is a fictional story but if you know dan browns work he researches facts to make his stories better. Anyway at the start of the story u find out that one of the characters who is a scientist and her father used the particle accelerator to smash sum energy togather and they recreated the big bang out of pure energy and matter and antimatter was the product. so they prooved the big bang could happen, matter could come from nothing and that God had to exist. anyway the thing with antimatter is that its highly unstable, its the most efficient energy source ever, however if it comes in contact with any matter itll explode, a droplet of antimatter has the force of an A-bomb. Going back to Lebowsk1, if anything like this did happen i really hope the human instinct to destroy doesnt get the best of us with our new knowledge.

Steven Hawking (of course i had to bring him into this he is part of why this discussion is taking place) said something like it must be boring to be God and have nothing left to challenge us. That was in relation to finding the answer to everything. That is not a direct quote by the way, just something i remember from a program that was on last night.
Also in response to the last poster about the human instinct to destroy and get the best of us i will quote the Dalai Lama. “If something big were to happen there is nothing we can do anyway so just sit and wait. Then, think about next incarnation and go some other PLACE.” (laughing intensely with lovingkindness in the laugh as he says this)
PD

man all you gotta do iz trip your balls off to watch string theory in action… i new about this twentyfive years ago, i just didnt have a name for it…but you know what man…it wouldnt be any fun to know the answers to everything…thats why “GOD” feeds it to us a little at a time…cus if he gave it to us all at once we’d all be trippin balls permanently…

This topic was on foxtel tonight. Although the scientists there tell of a 10 dimension universe, where everything exists as music in resonense. This being the vibration of strings, every single different physical material, existing as strings vibrating differently.

^
All in summary, i missed some parts when i went to make a coffee.

The more these cosmological theories are worked out, the more abstract they become and the more they tend to converge with eastern mystical ideas. For instance, the latest M Theory, which combined several string theories, introduces p-branes and a 10th or 26th dimensional spacetime. The features of this p-brane universe seems a bit like the holographic universe. So the closer they get to an explanation of the universe, the weirder it gets. The same is actually true on quantum scale…
I’m wondering where they’ll stand within 50 years :smile:

Those theories are amazing some time ago i also wonder what if a second big-bang can occured inside this universe that is just crazy.
In an Scientific Amarican magazine the edges of physics i read about this theory that said that the univers was like giant 3D screen where everywere are like “lightbulbs” that they can be on or off “creating” this way matter or energy … i better scan it for you
geocities.com/anduvotrash/higgs.jpg

another interesting sites:
particleadventure.org/particleadventure/
pdg.lbl.gov/atlas/

mindexplorer:

I have the idea that the brain instead of not being capable of perceiving other data that might be there in the univers, it might be just the contrary, the brain act as a filter not letting us overwelm with all the data in the univers so that is why drugs or meditation can braekthrou the “securities” of the brain.

ps. I dont encourage anyone using drugs in the contrary I think meditation is a good alternative to perceive other realms.