how long can you stay lucid?

hey people. I started to realize that everytime i have a lucid dream, its really cool, but always short. so I started to test myself, jst to see how long i could stay in one. i figured out the more things i did, the less time i would have to be lucid. so, i decided just to sit down and wait, just to see how long i could do it. I only got to about 10 minutes before I woke up, but thats pretty long when lucid. It’s strange, I dont even need dream signs, or tell myself “im gonna be lucid”. it just happens. I can just tell the difference from the real and the dream world, just by standing there. so thats why I have so many. but the one thing I have trouble with, is time. Anyone have the same problem? I’ve had up to 8 lucid dreams in one night, but i always wake up a few minutes into one.

Yes, I’ve had this problem. So far you are on the right path, by just standing still in the lucid dream to prolong it.

That’s just what I did before. I stood in a lucid dream, didn’t do anything. And it lasted quit a while.

It seems that you have to get used to the dream world. Get used to it by just simply being there. Then in the near future, you will be used to it and not have the problem of waking up.

Like one time I was nervouse about an art class I was taking up. So one day, I got to school extra early. I went into the art room, no body was in it, it was dark. I just stood there for a long time, knowing that I was in the art room.
Now when I go into the art room, I feel comfortable, I can stay in that room al day.
:wink:
#Six

i read somewhere that you could actually stop time. It will probably take like 10 minutes in real life but in the dream world i could take like a couple of years.
This is what i read anyway. Im not an lder so i cant give you much advice.

but i read it can be done…

There are alot of different theories regarding ‘time stretching’ in a dream. On the movie waking life, they state a dream could be as long as a lifetime. I wonder how much you can slow time down though, prisoners could learn to LD and spend more time free in a dream than trapped in a prison.

X

When a dream looks like it lasted a lifetime, it’s often the same effect as when you watch a movie: you only see fragments during the day when something important happens; everything else is not shown. So you will never see a person sleep for 8 hours. Instead, you see someone going to bed in the evening and 5 seconds later he wakes up. But you know 8 hours have passed. Overall, a movie which lasts 2 hours can tell a story which lasted for 10 years or longer. In the same way, dreams can consist of such fragments so when you wake up and look at the bigger picture, you unconsciously fill in the gaps between the fragments and come under the impression that you’ve dreamed for years.

I also think the notion that time seems to go faster when your doing something in your dreams, is the same as irl. Because if you’re working all day long irl, time seems to fly. However, if you sit quiet all day long, watching your clock every minute, time seems to slow down and the day seems endless.

To a certain degree that’s what it’s all about though, time perception. Time is relative to the observer. Of course it would be impossible for a 1 minute dream to last a year to the dreamer, but the dreamers perception and feel of time could easily manipulate that. Thus having the one year, bah who knows these things ey, lol not me.

I agree with what your saying mystic about how people’s minds fill in gaps, like in movies to complete the bigger picture, i rekon that explains alot of visions/strange experiences and such.

[color=darkred]aren’t we all prisoners though ?
Don’t we all want to escape into a lifetime of ld’n ?

I’ve have been ponderin the question of time stretching in lds for quite a bit now. . . . .
I’ve been looking at it in a scientific as well as a spiritual sense…

I think it may be possible…
But I also beleive, a person would have to be beyond enlightened to do it…
and for years ? hmm… … . .

I think people will eventually do it,
once more research and wha not is put into lds… .
we have barely tapped into the vast potential of LDS

I believe it will one day get there…

oh and on the… how long can ya stay in for thing… . . . .

i find if i just walk around my dreams and stuff i can stay in for about 10 - 15 mins… but if i start flying or doing ne thing else to exciting, i usually wake up shortly after. . .

so… . . . . .

any one wanna be buddist w/ me !?!?!??[/color]

I’ll be Buddist with you!

I think it could really be possible for a difference in the time from reality, and the time in lds. for example, in a fight in reality, if you can think fast enough, and comprehend what the other person is doing fast enough, you can dodge anything. everyone sees time a little different in the real world, so why not in a dream world? if you can take the time to look at this persons hand, and think about what to do, then do it before the fist even gets there, then, in a dream that you control, you could simply slow down time to your perception. I think it makes sense…maybe thats just me…:wink:

I guess to a certain degree that type of situation does have a time delay, but don’t think it’s the same in the dream world.

[color=darkred]K…
yes…
u can slow down time w/ perception… but to what extent ?
u have to remember…
that u rn’t using your body in dreams… and therefore time doesn’t apply to body while in dreams… . .
but u r using your brain,
the biological functions of your brain exist through time…
it takes your brain time to process feelings, actions… etc… . . .
so the question here is… . .

how much brain function is required in dreaming…
Can u simply experience the dream world using consiousness energy… or “the spirit”
not your brain…

ye know what i mean…
so i think u could slow down time…
u’d just have to process things really fast…

the dream world really is like the matrix…
u can bend some rules and u can break some rules…
i think time is a rule u can bend… . . . .[/color]

StreetSpirit you said that maybe the time slowing is in relation with how fast the brain processes things, we had a similar topic like this and a similar theory came up. I think it’s a reasonable theory ey, makes sense.

Of course this would cause angst amongst spiritual/universal/religious thinkers.

that was my point in my second post, did nobody understand? do i need to write more clearly?

]

what theory is this ??
I study biology, i know a lot on the subject of it. … .
but i am also a very spiritual person… . . . .

there was a topic on dream views… about like… i dunno…
something to do plankt time ? is this the same theory…?
I do think we are capable of stopping time completly in dreams… but i think it would take a very powerful, enlighted mind

so… what i mean is… if your were able to stop time in dreams…
u’d be running only on your spirit…
and therefor… u would have basically no memory of your life
feelings would be a lot different…
everythign would be different

This topic now clashes with another topic somewhere around here regarding a device in the future to ‘record dreams’. If you could slow time down, then you wouldn’t be able to record it, either it would be years of dreamworld on tape for a few seconds of your dream. Or maybe it will be in fast foward?

Then again, it’s all the perception of it, and if the brain really does fill in the gaps to make a complete picture.

For me the length of Lucid Dreams used to be around 5 seconds to 2-3 minutes when i was just starting. But now that i have that at will and am very expreciend I have had Lucid Dreams lasting up to 45 minutes.