Someone help me! I keep waking up.

Hi, I just had another lucid dream last night!

The first thing I remember in my dream was I was in some kind of farm and my Mom was churning milk to make butter inside a barn. She told me to go home until she finished work and I said okay, so I started walking up the driveway. As I walked up the driveway I saw a doghouse and then I saw two dogs. One was a German Shephard and I don’t know what the other one was. They were growling at me and I petted them and I said, “you’re not very smart dogs, are you?” Then I continued along the path until I got to the road, and I went down the road a bit. I saw a house. It was my old house that I lived in before I moved. There was an N64 in the middle of the driveway with Super Smash Brothers in it, and there was a bus parked in the backyard. I asked myself out of habit, “am I dreaming?” then I realized “Wow, I am dreamin-SHOOT!” Yes, I had woken up again.

I know I am making progress, tho. When I realized I was dreaming, i remembered to stay calm, but it was too late.

What’s interesting is not the dream itself, but how I fell asleep. I had woken up before, and when I layed down, I started imagineing a scene (probably from my last dream) of lots of chickes walking around in a place with lots of mountians and no dirt. For some reason the song We Will Rock You started playing in my head. Then I thought, get rid of the chickens, and the chicked dissapeared. Then I made the mountians shorter, and added some grass, and I made a path, with trees along it. I continued to imagine in this way, and eventually it faded into a dream. Tell me, did i just accedently discover a new way to induce lucid dreams? If not, what is this called and how exactly is it done?

I’m not sure if you found a new way, but you may implement it differently than others. I use this “imagine” technique to re-enter dreams or LDs. I’ve been very successful. A few days ago I re-entered a LD using this technique. I just imagined exactly how the place looked and felt … then poof … I find myself there. This may depend on one’s ability to visualize places. I find it easiest to visualize a place I’ve been before more than creating a new one.

Heres a tip to help remain in a LD if you become overexcited.
Go limp and fall to the floor. Most importantly use your hands to grab onto something in the dream. Might as well use the floor since your down there. :wink: Use your hands and grip tight to whatever you can find. Or if the object is flat, use both hands to feel the texture of the enviroment. Imagine how a blind person uses their hands to see and try to do that with your surroundings. It helps! and it’s also fun discovering the textures you find in dreams.

I find that being “tactile” is a good way to “ground” yourself in your dream before you take-off. It’s also a good way to catch your breath and practice remaining calm while observing things close to you. It’s like petting a pretty kitty, very soothing. :smile: Once you see your enviroment in full color and feel more comfortable. It should be safe enough for you to start exploring without waking yourself up.

BTW, you initially asked:

The most advanced LD’er can also be annoyed by waking up. You did nothing wrong. This is only sign of your progress. Read some of the prolonging techniques that you may find in the “Quest for Lucidity” forum. It sounds like you’ve blazed past the newbie stage.
Goodluck! :thumbs:

Its rare these days to learn something about new techniques.Im very keen to try holding tight to something in my dream.This tech is funny in a way but i guess it might turn helpfull for many.
Lets wait for ld now…hmm…another 5 months?prolly:(
Thx Addict:)

Thank you for all you’re help! I’ll try that tonight. :cool:

Hi, last night I had another lucid dream. Unfortunately, still it didn’t last…

The first thing I remember in this dream was I was riding in the passenger’s seat of a pickup truck and Andrew Dunham, my friend from school, was driving. He drove to some sort of building, that I had the impression it was some kind of factory. Dunham drove up to a gate and there was a guard there and he asked him why you’re here. He said we had come to visie my mom and the guard said Okay and he let us go on, not even recognizing the fact that Dunham is twelve years old. We got to a parking lot and Dunham tried to park the truck, but he did a terrible job and parked takeing up two spaces at once. Then he gave up and just drove up to the front of the building and stopped. I got out and I went through a few rooms, unfortunately not paying much attention to detail. I got to the room my mom was supposed to be in but she wasn’t there and then, somehow I realized I was dreaming. I remembered to stay calm, but I still woke up. Or so I’d thought… I “woke up” in “my room” there was some sort of kinder surprise toy. It was a bug that would somehow climb up walls. I went out of my room and in the hall I saw a bathroom with a huge bathtub about five times normal size. Then I went to the kitchen and my Mom was there. She had made two cakes for a party in the shape of animals. I don’t remember but I think one of them was a bat. I went downstairs and there was a band of some kind who went out of buissness and I gave them the kinder surprise toy and I said “Here this can be your mascot” I went back upstairs and my Mom was still there, along with my Grandmother (on my mother’s side) and a whole party. They had cooked a rectangular pizza and I took five slices. Then my grandma took another pizza out of the oven and she asked me if I wanted a piece. I then realized I already had five and then I woke up.

I’ve been having problems with these falce awakenings lately, three nights ago the same thing happened (although it wasn’t lucid.) It seems like my dreams are conciosly trying to not let me have a lucid dream; as soom as I remember to stay calm, they throw FAs at me. So I’m asking for your help again. How can I stay lucid after a falce awakening?

I just had a thought about a new Reality Check.

If you still feel hungry after eating 5 plices of pizza, then you are probably dreaming. :grin:

But anyway, back to your problem. This may sound a little pointless, but is there a chance you are ‘expecting’ to have a False Awakening each time you find yourself lucid?

Perhaps you could also try some stabalization methods. Try to remember as soon as you become lucid, to just stand still and look at your hands. Try to remain relaxed, but not so much that you stop paying attention to everything and lose lucidity.

There really isn’t much we can say to make this problem go away. It looks like you just need more practise. At least you’re becoming lucid more than a lot of people.

Also, you may want to try what several people have already suggested in various other places on the forum. Basically, each time you wake up, do a RC. That way, even if you can’t stop yourself having FA’s, you may be able to use them to your advantage.

Coindidently, I was just reading a FAQ that explained your very problem. The solution they gave was to use a kind of MILD technique as you felt the dream disolving. Intrestingly, it also contained excerpts from certain books explaining that ‘trying to relax’ could be a very fast way to end your lucidity. Apparently, Stephen himself tested this and found that each time he tryed to relax he would lose control, and have a false awakening.

It may sound a little contradictive, but maybe you should be a little more excited and active when you find yourself lucid?

veryvery interesting. i think those great tips will help me too. :cookiemon: …the one where you just watch your hands sounds effective… i’ll try it…

I would also think you would have to be more active. LaBerge said if you want to wake up from a dream, you have to go to sleep (in the dream). Falling to the floor is a good thing given you think about the falling sensation. Try the spinning and the looking at your hands or the ground to stabilize your dream, and also believe that they will work. If you do these properly you should have success, or a FA. I’ve had a chance to try both of these in my 3rd LD and they had decent success given the low lucidity of the dream, and my low experience with LD.

Good luck ![/b]

That’s indeed interesting. Thanks Atheist! I’ve not had the chance to read any of Laberge’s books, what a shame.

I do remember one LD that I’ve had where I started to scream and it increased my visuals and clarity. … I was screaming out of amusement and not horror. Also, my recent LD that I posted in the diary explained how I “kept moving,” and this was one of my most longest LD ever! Feeding your brain stimuli while you are in a dream is very important, but that initial rush that you get when you realize you are dreaming can almost be damaging.

I think in my next LD the moment I realize I’m dreaming I’m just going to start running and screaming as loud as I can. That ought be fun, there is no telling how long it will last or where I might run to. Thanks for the idea. :thumbs:

:happy: heh, funny how that works. Isn’t it?

Keep a stop watch by your bed. Everytime you wake up, even if you have a LD or not, use the watch as a RC. Or use some other RC like Atheist mentions above. Use it everytime you wake up. You’ll find that FA’s can be more helpful than what they first seem. Or use some electronic device that beeps, like a cell phone. Then push the buttons to a familar pattern and see if the sounds correspond. Cell phones work good because they usually also have lights. Electronics sometimes act funny in dreams anyways. If you can, try several different RC’s is your not too tired … or lazy. :wink:

i had few nights ago FA. it was something really wierd for me, cos it was the first time. i was so surprised and confused when i really woke up :eek:! its amazing how i’ve had so much new expiriences in so little time… this is great…

claudia:

If only everyone could enjoy the same rate of progression.

On a different note, if you want to use things like italic or bold text, make sure the check-box labelled ‘Disable BBCode in this post’ does NOT have a tick in it. :wink:

Just poasting to let everyone know I’m still alive. Thankz again everyone for all the help. No more lucid dreams to report yet, although one was pretty cloce.

Actually, I’ve had more than that before :smile: ;once I ate a whole Large-sized pizza in one meal, crust and all! But that’s beside the point. What I ment was, I allready had five pieces on my plate

I’m going to have a lucid dream tonight and I’m going to fly, and make stuff appear and do lots of cool stuffz (writing to convince myself, and I am going to, too! From what I read on this site, if i keep telling myself I will, I’ll eventually have a LD)

Anywayz, bye peoplez And I’m going to have a Lucid Dream tonight!

Cool! :cool: I have a star now! I’m a Novice dreamer :content: umm… :confused: what do those rank thingies mean anywayz?

The stars and ranks are proportional to the number of posts you have.

0-9: Sleepwalker - No stars
10-49: Novice Dreamer - 1 star
50-99: Lucid Initiate - 2 stars
100-299: Sominologist - 3 stars
300-499: Astral Explorer - 4 stars
500+: Dream Diety - 5 stars

Moderators are the exception, with a constant 5 stars and the rank ‘Lucid Moderator’.

I think that’s it, but I could be wrong. :happy:

Good job Atheist. Though you forgot pasQuale’s, the webmistress, ranking.
She is the “Overseer” :smile:

Congrads PsychicHawk28 on your first star. :thumbs:

Good point Pilot! Try the spinning technique…it often also changes the scenery of your surroundings in a dream…and that makes it so easy to know that its a dream (a lucid one)…u can even try the spinning tech and at the same time say were u want to be or just say loud an association…like…“ICE CREAM”…Start experimenting with this…i think in your case psychichawk28 the spin tech is the best solution to deal with Fa!

:happy: Have gun!

I DID have a LD two nights ago! O the power of self confidence. I don’t remember much of it but this is what i do;

Okay I remember in this dream I was on the roof of a building, and I saw three elevators and I wanted to go up to the third floor. I pushed the button to go up but the elevator buttons were all weird and they glowed different colours and there was too many. I looked away as I waited for an elevator to come and I started to realize something was wrong when I saw the sky above me. Than as I got in and went up to the third floor I said to myself “wait a second, how can I go to the third floor when there was sky above me?” Then when I got to the third floor I realized “I’m dreaming! This is a lucid dream”… Then I woke up AGAIN :grrr:. Oh well. I’ll get it eventually…

There’s your problem. :wink:

If you get too excited when you become lucid, you’re going to wake up. I can’t verify it, but I’m fairly sure that when you become lucid in a dream, you are actually quite close to waking up.

Mm Atheist is right…if u compare an eeg from a normal dream with that of a lucid dream u c that a lucid dreram has more beta waves then an eeg from a normal dream…

Beta waves we have when we are awake…so yes a lucid dream is closer to waking up then a normal dream.

Maybe Psychichawk28 u should do a training in waking at what u should do in a ld…I mean train your reaction…to not get that excited…but experience…just observe…and stay calm…repeat that to yourself to stay calm in a ld in waking state…again and again…a couple a times a day…