How did you hear about LD for the first time?

On a tv show but later on this sait

I originally found it on wikibooks.

No, only joking. I can’t remember, but I think that the wikipedia page on lucid dreaming was very close to the beginning. Maybe I was reading up on dreaming and found it.

First time I read about it was in a book about dreams I read five years ago. However, I wasn’t hooked at all, I just thought it seemed fuzzy. Then, some months ago, when I browsed under Psychology in a general forum, someone wrote about it and I got interested.

Once I was rummaging in old newspapers, hoping to find one big enough to cut out a pattern. In one of these newspapers, I read about Senoi system. I didn’t understand it properly, so the idea I got about it was more likely lucid dreaming, though I did not know the right name for it. Recently, a neighbor asked me to translate some texts for her test work. She is studying to become a psychologist, so the texts were just magazine articles about psychological stuff including dreams… That was when I got to know the real name for this. But I really began to think about having LDs myself only when I read EWLD and some other books…

I had no idea that our brain has such miracoulus abilities. One day I did a google search about dreams, generally, because I was bored.

I found a MSN group about “Lucid” Dreams. I was like “wtf is ‘lucid’ ?”. I now know…

Alex C

I’ve read an article about it in a popular magazine almost ten years ago, it was an interview with an expert, probably Paul Tholey (dead now) or Stephen LaBerge. I found it exciting, but only found the motivation to try it a few years after I read the article, and only because I had a wonderful spontaneous LD. I hope to find that article again, it was my first encounter with the subject and therefore has emotional value to me :content:

Paul Tholey is dead??? :eek: :sad: Do you know anything else about that?? Wow it was a little shock when I read it :sad: He was a great researcher of the practical use of LDs to improve waking life sports activities.

Yes, he died in 1998:
gestalttheory.net/people/thol_ref.html

Thanks for the link. That’s really sad news :sad:

I found it out from ags_rule when he was excitedly telling me about it, his explanations were a bit…vague so i googled it and came up wit this site and stopped the confusion lol

I first heard about lucid dreaming from a narcotics subforum of a a norwegian webforum called “freakforum”.

There was a discussion of herbs for dreaming or something like that.

“Some post in some other forum”

I was talking about flying in dreams and someone mentioned, that this “superman style” flying is nothing compared to flying with crossed legs, or with carpet style. He also invited me to visit certain place what he uses to visit in regular basis. I started to think about that, but even before finding out any site about lucid dreaming, or without knowing any tech how to induce it i had high level LD what was pretty decent.

I had an unintentional LD. That lead me to seek info about it.

I had one LD naturally and since this time I interessted LD,s.

a friend told me… too bad I laughed at him at first…

<=Other=>

I have about 3 LDs that I can remember from childhood, I remember flying and changing my enviroment. But as i got older and my life got more stressful I had lost most of my dream recall and no longer knew anything about “controling my dreams”

I was watching the dead zone one day and John was in a coma, and when he read a newspaper the words were all jumbled and he could not tell time because there was wierd symbols and whatnot. My dad told me that alot of people actually do experiance that in a coma. I said “well I remember dreaming and doing stuff just like that” my good ol father completely denied that that was possible. I kinda spaced his comment off for a good year. until I saw that episode repeat, I said “I wonder if it is real” I went onto some newsgroup. or forum or somthing and people were talking about it. One of them brought up lucid dreaming, so I said “why not” and I googled it.

and here I am! :grin:

I found out about lucid dreaming here on LD4ALL of course :grin:

I’ve learnt about it first in the book “Mysteries” by Colin Wilson. Which second tome I gave to someone I can’t remember :cry: . This is great book anyway, it holds most wide and rational approach on paranormal, so I recommend anyone who can find to read it.

I somehow misread the poll question and now I want to correct it in this post.
So 1 more in the books :peek:

I cant remember, but i know that ever since i was very young, maybe 8 years old i have been interested in dreams, esp, religion, oobe, einstien, all kinds of stuff on things of this nature…

I search with google anf found out that there was more tthe one mysteries there by same author
SO there it is one I got:
MYSTERIES
AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE OCCULT, THE PARANORMAL AND THE SUPERNATURAL
Copyright 1978 by Colin Wilson