Learning how to operate your brain

This thread has got me really interested in trances like the ones that have been described so I have tried it twice now.

The first time was about 2am when I went to bed. After about five minutes of focussing on my breathing, I started to hear deep pulse sounds, like the sound I associate with when they show ultrasound images of babies in the womb. The sound would alternate from ear to ear and I couldnt really tell if it was a real sound or if it was just my imagintation. Then I drifted into a dream were I was riding my bike slowly towards a group of people and I realised there was a balloon attatched to the middle of the handle bars. As soon as I noticed the balloon, it popped and I felt myself rush from the location of the dream to lieing on my back in bed in a fraction of a second. I woke up with my heart beating hard and a feeling of shock.

The second was this afternoon at 5pm. I tried meditating while listening to binaural beats on my mp3 player. after 10-15 minutes I heard faint music like that played by icecream vans. I thought at first it must be coming from somewhere nextdoor or something because I couldnt beleive my mind was making it and it faded after a couple of seconds from the excitement. After I calmed down again it came back very faintly and untill I was sure it was there and it faded again. I minute later I heard a deep pulsing rumbling like from a jet flying over, and maybe it was a jet, but it had real pulses to it until it got lower and quieter and then decided to get up.

Hearing the music was a pretty unbeleivable experience for me because I couldn’t imagine my mind playing music by itself. Now I am keen to get into a much deeper trance and stay calmer somehow. I havent gotten any vibrations yet.

I like the idea of flying to the centre of the universe and falling asleep in a dream like jeff described.

For more learning how to operate our brain, last night I had 5 LDs and during them I experimented with ways to control your subconcious and other LD techniques.

1. When I was looking for a DC to tell them to remind me that I was dreaming, I decided to look for my friend barry. I landed at a house that was definitely not his, but I yelled his name as I ran up to the house. Then when I rang the doorbell he opened the door. I have never been able to force my subcouncious to create a character from nothing before, and I have been developing my theory of this technique for a while. My theory is there are easier ways that truely controling your subcouncious to get results in dreams. For example if you would like a car to appear from no where, start with something smaller, like a light switch that will make a car appear. That way you can leave the work up to your subcouncious.

2. There is definitely more than one way to fly. Infact traditional flying gets boring after a while. Last night I became lucid while riding a motor cycle (i don’t ride motor cycles). Since this was a dream I figured I would go OVER the traffic, so I just leaned backwards and imagined the road was leaning backwards too. The motor cycle lifted off the road into the sky. This goes along with matching your subcounciouses expectations. I also found the motor cycle was hard to control in the sky, so I acted like I was riding a jetski in the sky and then I was.

Those two results where both based on my idea of creating expectations for your subcouncious instead of trying to alter or eliminate your expectations. I find this is much more reliable and I don’t lose lucidity like I often do when trying to eliminate my expectations. I think this might work like screaming “Lucidity times 1000.” Let me know if you have any results with this technique.

1. I practiced using common ld techniques like rubbing hands and spinning. During the dream I effectively used spinning to chaneg the dream scene(this is a first for me), but to stablize a dream scene I rubbed my hands together. I found the rubbing of the hands to be nice because you can do something else while rubbing your hands. I was rubbing my hands to make sure I wouldn’t loose lucidity.

That second part is a little off topic, but I think that the first part is applicable because this could be used to create changes in yourself or help your subcouncious to revel things about your self.

1. HAHAHA that’s a theory? HAHAHAHAHA. cough I’m so sorry, I understand you’ve thought about it for a long time. Well, people already use that (like Pedro)

2. Maybe that’s just you, don’t inflict in on all of us :eh:

3. I think that was your concious expectation (that the motorcycle would fly)

4. If you had an expectation that you will wake up from your LD in excitement, that expectation needs to be altered or removed, not added to. Some people do have that expectation, too.

wierd reply… and I don’t think you understand what I am talking about, so try to be less condescending in the future maybe? I also think that often excitement can come of as arrogance in a non-spoken medium, so sorry it it seemed like that. I’m just sharing what works for me so other people might have success.

Further, I wasn’t just talking about doing it, but why that happens when you do it and how that can be applied in other ways. I’m sorry, maybe it isn’t “my theory,” however I am further exploring techniques to alter the world in dreams by altering counciously minor things that results in huge subcouncious alterations. I have found this is important because councious altering just simply isn’t as creative, interesting and unltimately enjoyable. When I allow my subcouncious to build the ultimate result I am usually dumbfounded by the detail and correctness of the results.

Another thing to consider is that in newton’s time every one experienced gravity, but no one understood gravity. The act of doing something is not developing a theory, but instead the act of understanding what and why is. Some fo the reasons may be obvious, but in understanding the subtlties we can more accurately understand the way out minds work. I am sorry that the “learning how to operate your brain” topic is “beyond lucid dreaming” and thus beyond a scope of understanding that is already beyond your ability, but clearly I am having more success with my “theories” than you are with other people’s.

Sorry, I just find it a little funny that everybody keeps treading the same steps over and over in this forum.

Last night I had a false awakening and became lucid because I woke up in my old bedroom. Everything in the room had tracers and and the edges of little things where vibrating. I was on mushrooms! I was lucid so I intensified them and then little balls came out of no where and where vibrating like crazy. Is this LSD visuals without the euphoria and crazy thoughts associate with moth entheogenic substances? I don’t know I’ve never had it… heh.

1st… about DMT… what if you got shot in the head or had it completely eradicated by some large… shrapnel, or something… no tripping for you?

anyway…i’m not sure if this belongs in here or not, it’s kind of a redundant rewording of what i’ve said in the meditation thread, maybe… but

i’ve found two things about meditation, which i’ll try to keep brief…

1. falling asleep/hypnagogia… okay, traditionally, I can get to the borderline entrance to the hypnagogic state withint 15 minutes by doing any of the following, depending on what feels best.

I do moderately shallow breathing, whatever feels comfortable… and I listen to my fan while focusing on that… I take the first thing to enter my head, which usually doesn’t make much sense as it’s a mixture of conscious/unconscious thought, and i repeat it until I hear something else that catches my interest, then i repeat that… and this keeps going for quite a while… say… 1 minute… and then I lose track a bit… hit a gap in the chain of thought, and I get a small jolting feeling… I start it up agian… it goes on even longer… I get a bigger jolt… pretty soon I’m on the verge of entering sleep… and the jolts are very chaotic… I’m no longer able to focus very well… I’m seeing some imagery, I can usually voluntarily induce it… but it’s very clipped, fragmented, and behind the blackness, as opposed to 100% seeing it… when I go under into unconsciousness I can sometimes enter it… but I am not in control of myself, my unconscious is.

I will go in/out at least a dozen or more times if I keep doing this… I cannot stay conscious inside it… I cannot stay unconscious inside it long enough to fall asleep, either… so…

at this point I try all sorts of things that never work, give up… and go to sleep (or if it’s during the day… get up…)

Now I know this takes me into REM… at least, partially… becuase sometimes I feel a delayed rush of paralysis, and the only way I can describe this is surgery. When I broke my arm and had pins put in it… when I woke up… I was screaming in horrible pain… it was the worst thing I had ever felt in my entire life… but… it was already over no more than 2-3 seconds passed, and I felt nothing in the arm anymore… it was like delayed sensory input… like the pain signals were indeed sent to the brain… but… the brain wasn’t paying attention until just then, upon waking up… and it got a damn huge sudden rush, processing it all.

That is what the paralysis is like, I feel it, but it lasts a second at the most, and I’m never actually paralyzed.

I find this very interesting… and worry about people that undergo hypnosis for surgery, as … what if a part of them feels it the whole time? Or what if they get a horrible surge when it’s over?

anyway…

onto #2

#2 involves getting to the borderline asleep/awake state… getting deep enough in it to feel like I cannot focus very well anymore… then I get up… take deep breathes, move around a little bit… try and get my mind rejuvinated but still a bit groggy…

then I lie back down, and I take very deep breathes in through the nose and out through the mouth… when I go out… I let everything go… I let unconscious thought chains build up, I let myself drift down… when I breathe in… I just… try and hold on… try and go back into focus… if I ever feel REALLY out of it, like I’m about to lose it… I breathe more forcefully… alter the tempo a bit… fragment my breathes… in in in IN IN… out out out… instead of 2 fluid motions.

The two times I’ve done this… my heart gets really screwed up… today I was worried I was going to have a heart attack… it is NOT my heart chakra, though I feel activity there… I took my pulse and it was in time with the pain I was feeling… it was kind of like heartburn… but the heart was beating so strongly and forcefully… almost painfully… it wasn’t so bad if i focused on another body part… but I was worried I wasn’t going to survive the session… though I didn’t really care too much at that point.

So anyway… I’ll eventually hold onto the “i’m drowsy and about to fall asleep” feeling for a long time… and I feel really weird… .it feels uncomfortable, yet good… i don’t like it at this point… but it’s interesting… sort of a weird buzz… but not really euphoric…

if I focus on descending while outbreathing long enough… I (today) reach what I assume to be a moderate alpha trance… as I could feel heaviness washing over my hands… and a FAKE paralysis, as in, something that is just psychological… but tingly and heavy nonetheless… it’s fairly deep, because on the outbreaths i really lose myself and sometimes get in images… but i never abruptly exit like I do with method one… so I think maybe I can “master” this and succeede at hitting mind awake/body asleep… and working on that and deeper states.

Anyway…

I’ve been trying to meditate for about 4-5 months… i’ve been lding for a year or two… and OBEing/APing since July… I’ve known about the breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth (and it has to be that way, i’ve found, just using one for all your breathing is what makes you sleepy) and imagining falling on the downbreath… i’ve tried it before… but i’ve never liked it or thought it had any legitimate uses…

but in conjunction with my sort of shortcut make yourself fall asleep bit… it seems to work rather well…

I’m optimistic about it… but… I’ve said “i’m so close to doing this” so many times now it isn’t even funny… maybe I’ll be right this time though… hopefully I’ll have to be some day…

Also… if I can meditate into a theta trance on a reuglar basis… I believe I can wil myself into at whenever at the drop of a hat by setting up a key word such as “theta trance…” in concjunction with a simple countdown… you know… like by implanting suggestions into myself while in those states.

I’ve done it with LDs before… but the key words have never worked for more than a few hours after that, and it was during the night.

But with repetetive drilling I think it could definitely work… absolutely.

And if any of you have read all this… I’ve spent a very long time in the borderline sleep state monitoring my chaotic hard to rememebr thoughts, and how they come about… so I think trying these two methods would be benefical to you all.

There are other variations of #1 too… like consciously rambling as fast as you can until your mind gets tired and gaps show up… and doing it with your eyes open if you feel really tired but can’t fall asleep… and other things… but that would make this post that much longer.

So… I yearn to be able to do what the topic starter (sorry i forgot your name) wants to do, minus the drugs and soundfiles… though… .if someone threw some drugs my way I wouldn’t object… innocent wink

and i know these ideas and techniques are by no means exclusive to me… milions of others probably have known them for ages… but i discovered #1 on my own without much help from others… and #2 well… it’s a basic meditation technique that is well known… i’m just sharing my experiences with it.

interesting what was mentioned about classical music…

several times, finding myself in that relaxed state, where your dozing off yet a part of you is still around… I began hearing this kind of faraway, yet perfectly clear, classical music…

I remember listening, sort of absent mindly for a while… Then startled I asked myself ‘music? what’s this music?’ and as if someone turned the volume nod down to 0, the music faded.

The second time it happened, I was in that same falling asleep yet very aware of it happening state… Incredible, I imagine mozart or beethoven having the ability to dream complete operas in their minds!!! It goes beyond words… :peek:

I’ve spent the last few months away from the site and I’ve used about 90% of my lucid time to experiment with operating my brain differently. I have had loads of sucess… and loads of failures. I have fully developed my ability to create false memories and found physical proof that shows they are lost as true memories when they are proven wrong. I have developed a different visualisation thing with my dreams… I say “thing” coz i don’t know howto explain it. It’s the most imprressive thing I’ve done so far. I don’t visualise in real life anymore… I “see” things. I can (at will) see something infront of me the EXACT same way I’d see something real. And it last and doesn’t lose any clarity till I want it to. Visualisation sucks compared to this. How many other people can do this? It’s taken me 3 months. I have a weird theory. Has someone ever tricked their brain into believing they can feel things when they can’t? Like i can with ym sight? If you could do both then technically you could hold a ball… imagine the implications which could occur when you threw the ball at someone…

I managed to develop this skill using many MANY different practices but they all came from one really simple idea I had. When you use your memory you use a certain part of your brain. And it’s the same in a dream… the same parts of the brain are active. So I figured that if there was anyway to unlock new senses and the such then maybe its through lucid dreaming. I figured that if someone tried using a sense in a dream using the most realistic possible factors then the correct part of the brain should be in use. If after months of trying there is still no progress then I would assume the sense or woteva doesn’t exist. This is hard to explain. OK heres one thing I’ve been trying recently:

I’ve tried creating a few DC (usually 3) and making sure that they have their own will… (or at least I don’t consciously control them). They think of yes or no. Whatever they want. I then try to read what they are thinking in their heads. I focus on the fact that they have a brain inside their heads and it works the same way as normal ppl. If someone I focus on thinks yes then i get a hot feeling. No then its a cold feeling. Simple. I figure that if it is possible to do this is RL then the part of my brain should be getting “warmed up” when I do this constantly in dreams. Getting more and more ready so I can use it in RL. And I know this means nothing at all coming from my dream… but I think I know where telepathy comes from. It doesn’t come from one part of the brain which we dont know about. It comes from 2 completely normal parts working together! I get the feeling that is what is happening when I do this lucid. In RL iv had some scary success but then again NOTHING compared to the amount you would need to prove something like this. It’s been wrong a lot of the times and it’s not worked at all sometimes. But I have had my fair share of it working and have really showed off to some mates… But this could easily be put down to luck.

I have also been working with making myself talk in RL while dreaming. I have now discovered that there are two ways of doing it and they depend on the time scale in your dream. I noted that sometimes I spoke SUPER-FAST and other times completely normal! On further investigation I found that in a 10-40 minute dream I speak normally in the RL. In a dream which lasts stupidly long like 4 years… I speak REALLY fast. I didn’t think this owuld be the case as you do not really live out 4 years SPEEDED UP! You live out BITS of 4 years and its enough to make you believe you have spent 4 years dreaming. Therefore the speach should not be speeded up…it should be missing chunks and be at a normal speed. But it isn’t. So I have a new belief, perhaps we do dream out these stupidly long times but they are processed incredibly fast? Maybe.

Oh and I have this AWESOME recording of me sleeping and I say in a weird groggy voice. “i am sleeping but I am awake. Testing”. Lol. My next experiment on the voice thing is to have a conversation with someone. I talk to them and they can answer yes or no. Yes they shine red in my eyes and no they shine blue. I know this last bit doesn’t have much to do with controlling the brain but i had to put it somewhere so why not have all this together!

I’ve spent the last few months away from the site and I’ve used about 90% of my lucid time to experiment with operating my brain differently. I have had loads of sucess… and loads of failures. I have fully developed my ability to create false memories and found physical proof that shows they are lost as true memories when they are proven wrong. I have developed a different visualisation thing with my dreams… I say “thing” coz i don’t know howto explain it. It’s the most imprressive thing I’ve done so far. I don’t visualise in real life anymore… I “see” things. I can (at will) see something infront of me the EXACT same way I’d see something real. And it last and doesn’t lose any clarity till I want it to. Visualisation sucks compared to this. How many other people can do this? It’s taken me 3 months. I have a weird theory. Has someone ever tricked their brain into believing they can feel things when they can’t? Like i can with ym sight? If you could do both then technically you could hold a ball… imagine the implications which could occur when you threw the ball at someone…

I managed to develop this skill using many MANY different practices but they all came from one really simple idea I had. When you use your memory you use a certain part of your brain. And it’s the same in a dream… the same parts of the brain are active. So I figured that if there was anyway to unlock new senses and the such then maybe its through lucid dreaming. I figured that if someone tried using a sense in a dream using the most realistic possible factors then the correct part of the brain should be in use. If after months of trying there is still no progress then I would assume the sense or woteva doesn’t exist. This is hard to explain. OK heres one thing I’ve been trying recently:

I’ve tried creating a few DC (usually 3) and making sure that they have their own will… (or at least I don’t consciously control them). They think of yes or no. Whatever they want. I then try to read what they are thinking in their heads. I focus on the fact that they have a brain inside their heads and it works the same way as normal ppl. If someone I focus on thinks yes then i get a hot feeling. No then its a cold feeling. Simple. I figure that if it is possible to do this is RL then the part of my brain should be getting “warmed up” when I do this constantly in dreams. Getting more and more ready so I can use it in RL. And I know this means nothing at all coming from my dream… but I think I know where telepathy comes from. It doesn’t come from one part of the brain which we dont know about. It comes from 2 completely normal parts working together! I get the feeling that is what is happening when I do this lucid. In RL iv had some scary success but then again NOTHING compared to the amount you would need to prove something like this. It’s been wrong a lot of the times and it’s not worked at all sometimes. But I have had my fair share of it working and have really showed off to some mates… But this could easily be put down to luck.

I have also been working with making myself talk in RL while dreaming. I have now discovered that there are two ways of doing it and they depend on the time scale in your dream. I noted that sometimes I spoke SUPER-FAST and other times completely normal! On further investigation I found that in a 10-40 minute dream I speak normally in the RL. In a dream which lasts stupidly long like 4 years… I speak REALLY fast. I didn’t think this owuld be the case as you do not really live out 4 years SPEEDED UP! You live out BITS of 4 years and its enough to make you believe you have spent 4 years dreaming. Therefore the speach should not be speeded up…it should be missing chunks and be at a normal speed. But it isn’t. So I have a new belief, perhaps we do dream out these stupidly long times but they are processed incredibly fast? Maybe.

Oh and I have this AWESOME recording of me sleeping and I say in a weird groggy voice. “i am sleeping but I am awake. Testing”. Lol. My next experiment on the voice thing is to have a conversation with someone. I talk to them and they can answer yes or no. Yes they shine red in my eyes and no they shine blue. I know this last bit doesn’t have much to do with controlling the brain but i had to put it somewhere so why not have all this together!

Awesome success!

Pedro, man, that’s insane…

I understand the implications of everything BUT the “visualization” could you please please please explain in some detail how you trained yourself, while lucid, to manifest things in real life?

I mean, I guess it should be the same shouldn’t it?

If I think of a ball and make it appear in front of me in a dream I should need to do the same thing for it to work in real life, there shouldn’t be a difference.

But obviously your brain is not “on” like that while you are awake, you’d have to permanently alter your mind somehow, or like, just, somehow, totally convince yourself it works in real life.

I’m not sure how you’d do that… so you could you explain what you did?

I’d love to be able to do that at will.

Well it’s hard to explain and I thought that last post would really help… I’ll tell you what. After work 2moro I’ll sit and rattle of a proper post here about it. I’ll try to be as detailed as possible but I promise it will still be messed up. a lot fo it is feeling and I don’t see how I can fully describe that… Cya 2moro!

I’ve been controlling my vision as you have my friend… to see things that do not exist but as if it were really there… I stumbled upon this when I was a child and would have scary thoughts of monsters or zombies… I was an imaginative kid, and I would scare the crap out of myself!! This was when I was much younger and had less control over what I saw… Now as an adult, with more understanding of the mind/dreams… I could control this lucidly… Have you tried other things besides seeing particular things… like bending what you physically see… say in half? Or kaleidoscoping your vision? 360 Vision is fun also…

Can you create your own sounds as if you’re hearing them aloud? I often recreate the voice of a friend or family member and hear them encouraging me or complimenting my efforts at whatever I’m doing… I use the voice of a person pertaining to what I want to achieve… I can actually hear their voice! As if they were physically here… and the accuracy is uncanny…

Sense of smell is probably one of the easiest for majority of people… just think of a stinky fart… and you can almost smell it… I sure can…

I’m working on sense of touch/feel… that seems to be the hardest one for me… If anyone has tips or techniques to increase lucid sense of touch/feel… let me know!! I hope to recreate some hot summer nights of lovin’ with my ex in my waking state :wink:

DeyBwah

:eek: wow, I wish I could to something like that. I have increased my visualizing skills since I found out about lucid dreaming and sometimes before bed when I think about something I’m amazed at how real it looks. And even my dreams seems to have gotten more vivid :cool_laugh:

The best I can do to “see things” IRL is to visualize something while looking at something, but that doesn’t really look that vivid :neutral: but I will keep practicing :cool:

i don’t understand any of this talk. though i haven’t done any lucid dreaming, and can barely remember dreams, i still feel this needs to be said. how do you let everything go if you are trying all this? to do this, you have to think about trying to listen to chakra, instead of just listening. any of this make sense?
I’ve made up this kinda strange belief that the personal truth and belief is not describable, and can only be applied to something and made describable, but in only one sense. the whole of it, in order to be pure, cannot be lowered down into words. the whole point of this is that you give names to this stuff, and thus all you find is the meaning you gave it, not reality.

Pedro:

I always used to visualize a lot of stuff when I was younger, and because I believed it to be real it appeared to be totally real to me…

It made me rather paranoid as a child, because what followed was that I would sense “presences” all the time walking around in certain places…

I am a musician, so I have used this sense of sharpened visualisation to create lot’s of music… really the best tool anyone can use, it is indeed the key to creating real art… because it comes straight from the subconscious/universe…

I have tried to hone these skills for quite a while now…
and I think the key to create matter in RL from your mind, is to see that the same matter you create dreams from in your mind is also existant in RL.

This I kinda found out for myself once when I closed my eyes while meditating, visualized a circle, decided to create matter of it, slowly opened my eyes while keeping the visual in my head “on top” of the RL image… (at this point, my body started to vibrate really powerfully) …with my eyes totally open I shifted focus totally on the circle and zoomed in on it… the moment I did just that, what appeared as a lonely particle floating in space appeared before me, totally peacefully… the air around it seemed more like water than air, if you can relate… It seemed really unstable, so I thought the thought (just imagining myself that I’m the most powerful magician in the world or something) of like just “Stabilize!”… It then seemed to turn into a little black particle resembling dust-particles in size just black intead, wich proceeded to land in my palm… :eek:

It was really excillerating… and though I had just woken up 3h prior to this happening, I fell right back to sleep again right after and slept 12h straight…

This happened after a period I had been meditating, visualizing and ld’ing all day for about 2 weeks straight in a vacation period…

I havn’t been able to muster up anything close to the serenity that period offered again later, and the entire thing had almost dropped from my memory until I read this thread…

DeyBwah:

Yeah, I do stuff like that all the time… that’s the power of our subconscious recall! :content:

woow!! this topic just get weirder and weirder and i like it :grin:

Jeff: its just amazing what you say; layered dreams!!!. Did fear was an obstacle you overcomed at any given time?, beacuse I found that when I try to WILD, the fact of not feeling my body gets me nerveus and my heart start beating rapidly stoping me for doing it, also the blackness and the void you enter moments before you enter the dream, it just scares me, I know its an irracional fear because it happends every night but it seems I need to get used to or I am doing something wrong. What I have notice though is that by doing WBTB I wont get scared because somehow my conscience is not the same as my awakened conscience but I would like to do WILD also.

pedro wrote:

Your progress its amazing please dont forget to write the post explaining it in detailed. thank you very much :smile:

Daimos wrote:

That just happend in RL or while you were in your meditative state? :eek:

Tiadstools wrote:

I think this is a wonderfull idea but i think we can extend it to make an DC that will be there every time we are unconscience, having the task to remind us, what do you think? I will do it next LD, might be a wonderfull method!!!

The best I have managed to do with “mindsight” is that I once saw a small black circle when I was focusing for a while. And sometimes I have managed to see a really faint thing that looked like a CD. I also accidentally managed to see a small circle today for a short while. And by seeing I mean I really saw it IRL, but so far everything has been faint and transparent.

But I will keep on trying :cool:

This episode happened just like that, in rl yeah…
though I had allready done the process mentally in my head while meditating, by means of visualization…
so the imagined sequence just kinda replayed itself, just in rl instead…
It’s not so strange really… our minds and it’s surroundings are more intertwined than most people are aware of…

…or I’m just high… :tongue:

no seriously… weird stuff