Popup Blockers

The google toolbar is a form of spyware. If you don’t “opt out” of certain services when installing the toolbar it will be spying on each site you visit. I’d recommend it to too though. It’s simple to opt-out.

When I installed Firefox PR1.0 a few weeks ago it did not have Tabs enabled by default.

I had uninstalled Firefox after it crashed on me, but I was going to reinstall it just to understand how I had problems with the Tabs in the default installation … but the download was corrupt!! :lol: … by then my patience was lost.

However, I remember searching through Firefox after a default install for the Tab feature. If it was there … It was not intuitive at all.
I had to install an extension, and even then there was no option to keep Firefox from opening new windows.
It was annoying, and I didn’t want to use my scroll wheel to open a tab. I wanted “real tabs” to open with my normal clicking/surfing habits … not middle clicks on a wheel.

If you visit some sites not listed in google search engine, then they will automaticly add it to google, if using that toolbar…
kinda scary :smile:

https://www.spuler.us/extensions/singlewindow.htm <---- just press the install button there, and then it will open any links in a new tab, instead of a new window… :smile: You might have to go into tools|extensions|single window options and configure what to open in tabs.

I tried it and it works sweet here.

DreamAddict:

firefox crashes…, bad instalation…, no tabs, corrupts downloads… :lol:
Sounds more like you have a virus or something isnt going very well with your windows… maybe because you have used too much the explorer and many hackers ans viruses have entered your machine :tongue:

It may be that you were confused by the absense of the tab bar itself, but that’s just an option. The tab functionality is still there. The default installation has an option called “Hide the tab bar when only one site is open” (available from Tools->Options->Advanced->Browsing). That doesn’t mean there’s no tabbed browsing, just that the tab bar is hidden when you aren’t using multiple tabs. Simply Control+Click on a hyperlink to open it in a new tab (or right-click on it and select “Open in new tab”), regardless of whether or not the above option is set. Alternatively, Control+T will open a new, blank tab. When you open a new tab in any of these ways, the tab bar will appear to show you the currently open pages.

I’m not going to jinx myself … but I’ll just say I’ve never had those types of problems guruguru. :smile:

I’m spoiled on Windows ease of use. I don’t want to spend time and effort towards fixing something that is not broken. IE works, and IE is safe for the uses I require.

Firefox1.0 is version one point zero. It’s practically still beta and my machine is not the problem. I don’t like it’s rendering among other annoyances and performance issues.

I’m not saying IE is superior to all browsers. I’m just saying Mozilla currently is not. :smile:

EDIT: This is my birthyear post, 1978 :happy:

What annoyed me the most about this feature was the requirements for extra key strokes to use tabs. I just wanted to click and have a tab open for me. I didn’t want more Firefox windows to open, and there is no option to prevent that. I thought this was the whole point for tabbed browsing?

DreamAddict:
never meant to curse you :smile: it was a joke :grin:

I’m running FF 0.9.2 so I don’t really know much about the 1.0PR version and its bugs. I do hope they integrate the single window principle in the official release (with the option to turn it off of course) so nobody has to click the scroll wheel. I also hope they don’t add more fancy stuff like the “live bookmarks”, rss is great but I don’t think most people are interested in it. The philosophy is to create a browser as simple as possible, and if you want fancy stuff install the extensions. That’s why I stick with 0.9.2 for a while. We already have Mozilla Suite for people who want everything in their browser and Firefox doesn’t need to be like that.

That said, I still find Firefox to be the most user-friendly browser ever made, and at the same time it brilliantly supports the standards, something I adore as a web designer. I’ve tried almost all other browsers. IE is terribly old and unsafe. Opera is much better but bloated with options and if you don’t pay it has ads (who wants to pay for a browser?!?) Mozilla Suite is for the experts who want everything (I only want what I need). Netscape is, well, Netscape :tongue: . “Browsers” like Avant or Maxthor still use the terrible IE-engine.

BTW it seems the next version of IE will only be supported by XP SP2. So even when Microsoft makes IE 7 safe and compatible with current standards, everybody with XP SP1, Win 2000 or 98 will have to stick with IE6 forever or change to another browser.

https://www.spuler.us/extensions/singlewindow.htm
Is not that bad… all you have to do is visit that site and press the install button, and 10secs later you have single window tab browsing :smile:

A good firewall should have an inbuilt popup blocker.

Mozilla Firefox has an inbuilt popup blocker.

www.cnet.com < search popup blockers. you should find free ones.

If you have a mouse with 3 buttons, (or more) click on a link with the middle one and it will open in a new tab. No need for extra keys.

Or you could just hold down the ctrl key and press the left mouse button on any link.

DM, notice that tfyp was replying to a complaint about having to use the keyboard to use tabs! :smile:

and I’ve already complained about using my mouse wheel for a tab feature too! :tongue:

Look, it’s very simple.

You don’t want every link to open up in a new tab.

You have a few choices:

Ctrl+Click.
Middle click.
Right click is already taken… although I use the RadialContext extension which is actually quite fast to use once you learn it, and with that you hold your right button down and move your mouse to the right before releasing. (You could move to the right however much you want). Similarly, going left opens the link in a new window, and going up copies the URL to the clipboard. It’s very handy.

Down-left followed by left gives me the source of the page or frame, too. It’s all very neato.

Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox!!!

Mystery

:cool_laugh: :crazy:

:tongue:

[color=red][size=75]
removed affiliate tags
[/size][/color]
EDIT:
Edited the link because it went to spreadfirefox instead of the firefox download page after the mod edit.

Wow. Thanks for the help guys! Soo much of it. I have had avant for quite a while, whoever suggested that. I love it. I have also had AVG for quite a while too. Rather indifferent to it cus it just sits there in the background and works silently!
The only one I dont have now is Ad-Aware, which I did used to have. Thanks whoever gave the link, I’m downloading it as we speak. Hopefully this should help.

DreamAddict… Opera enables you to open links in new tabs withouth using the keyboard or the mouse wheel: opera.com/features/mouse/

It’s a very nice feature.

(Similar extension available for Firefox, but I like the circular context menu instead which is basically the same only that it shows what you can do.)