Going from a Non-lucid dreamer to a lucid dreamer?

Ok, this may sound like a strange Newbie question, but here it goes. I have been a “non-lucid dreamer” for 35 years. I had an unintentional LD about 3 weeks ago. I have trying to become intentionally lucid for 15 days with no success. What I’m wondering is this. When you go from being someone who is a “non-lucid dreamer” do a person who has “intentional lucid dreams” do you feel a change?

For better understanding…When you are learning algabra and you just can’t understand something. The teacher continues to explain but its just not clicking. Then suddenly it clicks in your head and you understand. Now you may not be able to solve every problem given to you easily, but you truely understand the basics, you get that “click” of understanding.

When you finally have that 1st (or a few) lucid dream(s) do you get that “Click”??

I’d certainly say so. My first LD brought on a few others and ultimately, made it much easier to LD. Unfortunately my horrendous recall means I can only remember short bits.

Thank you Mark. That is what I was hoping. Right now I feel like I’m struggling to understand and that the “click” is right there but I just can’t quite get it.

Hopefully that “click” will come soon.

That is certainly a strange question, but as far as a I know, you’re the first newbie to ever ask it…

Okay, lets see now…

Did I feel different? Well, the honest answer is I dunno. But it certainly makes you alot more concious that everything your experinening may be a dream.

I may be dreaming now. YOU may be dreaming now (that’s you’re cue to take a RC :wink:).

I don’t think I felt an immediate “click”. My first few LDs were very intense because it was the first time I experienced anything like this. So I was all excited and such… but in essence I don’t think it changed me much during the first few months. But if I look back now, I can say it has changed me in a subtle but profound way. The instant “click” of LDing may come everytime you have a LD, but that effect quickly fades away in the light of daily life… the deeper, more subtle “click” comes in time, when you’ve had lots of LDs. Your awareness slowly changes so you become more aware of your daily life, in all aspects. At least this is how I experienced it. LDing actually facilitates a more conscious way of living, or lucid living if you like.

Hey Sureal,

You said,

Did I feel different? Well, the honest answer is I dunno. But it certainly makes you alot more concious that everything your experinening may be a dream.

I may be dreaming now. YOU may be dreaming now (that’s you’re cue to take a RC

It’s funny, but in RL I do reality checks regularly + when ever I see something that strikes me as strange. (Just yesterday on my way home from work, the person driving in front of me has a live cat in his/her car. When I saw the cat I did and RC. “Damn, this is RL.”) What I don’t do is RC s in my dreams, no matter how amazingly wierd the circumstances seem to be. What I guess I’m asking is, do you have a better understanding of when you are in a dream now that you have had LD s? Do you get the “feeling” that you are in dream, more than just a strange circumstance?

It seems to me that most people who don’t have LD s have a different mind set then those who are actively trying to have LD s. I have gone 35yrs with out having one, no matter how overwhelmingly strange my dreams may have been. (And believe me, I’ve had some MAJORLY strange dreams.)
[/quote]

I’ll have to say what they’re saying. When you turn intentional on lucid dreaming, it takes hard work. Before you turn intentional, you have a small chance of having a LD…then when you first turn intentional, you want to have one, but still have that same small chance. Once you get to learn these methods and you have your first LD…you will find it easier to have the second. And after that, you will find it easier to have the 3rd…and so on. It took me like a month before I had my first intentional LD. Just give it some time. When you start having them, that “click” is going to come and hit you in the face. Then, you can have LDs every week like me :razz: Or…if you want to be better, every day. Best of luck to ya! If you need any help…you know where to ask :grin:

Thanks bendrummin58,

That is the info I am looking for. I can wait a month or even 2 to have my 1st LD. I’m sure it will be worth it.

Hey mystic,

That is good info, thank you. Is it easier for you to realize you are in a dream? Was it easier after your first, or first couple of LD (s)?

no prob jvib. The first LD is worth waiting and working for. Once you have one, you will turn greedy to have more…a lot more. And that is when you start working even harder. And that is part of the reason why LDs get easier :razz: Good Luck to ya jvib…again. :grin:

The biggest change is that I became more powerful in my own non-lucid dreams. Instead of being a passive observer I am an active participant, even when I am not lucid. I’ve made the transition from powerless to powerful.

It’s sort of the same journey that some people undertake in the real world when they learn that they do not have to accept the status quo and learn that they can make a difference.

Treader,

That is very interesting information. I never would have thought of that. I’m looking forward to being more powerful in my dreams.

Yes it has become a little easier. I can’t really say how much LDs it takes because it’s a gradual process. Two years ago I absolutely needed weird things to happen to become lucid, or when I did a RC. Nowadays, I have more and more LDs in which I become lucid by the dream feeling itself. So there doesn’t have to happen anything abnormal anymore. Dreams feel differently than irl, perhaps because they’re so unstable when compared to waking life. This feeling isn’t some kind dream emotion in response to a dream situation, but it seems to be inherent to the dream structure itself. The more LDs I have, the better I can sense that distinction between waking life and dreams.

Thanks mystic,

This is more excellent information. That makes allot of sense. This is what I was hoping for. I was hoping that recognizing dream state would become easier.

Hey, to answer my own question…I have had one decent lucid dream on oct 5th and nothing since. So far I am finding it just as difficult to attain lucidity than when I started. No “Click” yet.

besides, the last time I posted to this thread I had an LD that night. Maybe it’s lucky.

I would not say that there is any one “click” to lucid dreaming. I think it is more of a progressive thing. As you have more lucid dreams it gradually becomes easier to achieve. In the beginning things are a little bit hit and miss. Overtime, you become more confident and your LD rates go up as you become more familiar with that state. Yet even advanced lucid dreamers go through frustrating dry spells now and then.

Hmmm I think I clicked when conviced myself to at all times question my reality. LDs come quickly after that point.

Treader made an interesting point back there. I’d agree that when you have had many lucid dreams, you tend to have more control in your non-lucid ones. It’s as if even your non-lucid dreams have a very low level of lucidity (if that makes any sense), and i’m sure that this low level lucidity can with time and practice be increased and give you access to many more fully lucid dreams.
As for the “click”, I didn’t experience one as such. But your first lucid dream (because you suddenly realise you can do it) definately changes your waking outlook on life. It made me much more positive, and re-inforced my determination to have more. So it definately changes you in a way.

i have had a number of unintentional lucid dreams. and just a bit ago i had my 1st real intentional lucid dream. its a real moral boost, as i now know i have the ability to envoke lucid drems