The Stairway supplementary technique (in testing)

OK, basically, I have an idea that I believe may help you to get LDs. Used on its own it will help, but used with MILD, WILD or whatever you like, it may do even better. Please keep in mind, I have only tested this once. I didn’t get an LD, but I believe the theory is there. I’d be greatful for testers. Anyways, here is the guide (long text).

The stairway Method

I came upon this when reflecting upon yourself. We all know that feeling we get sometimes, when we just take a brain check, and realise that everything is real, WE are alive. I am alive. You begin to realise the true wonder of actually living. The reason for this name (the stairway method) is for two reasons:
-I couldn’t think of a better name (lol)
-It is comparitive to walking up stairs going after something.

Let me explain further.
Lets us take an example.
“I see something shining at the top of a flight of stairs. Now, my mind associates shiny things with preciousness such as gold, silver, and previous metals. I start to walk up the stairs to get a closer look. The further I venture up the stairs, the more I understand about the object. I see it is rather small, yet it looks heavy. As I get even closer, I see its true colour. The white shining was merely the light reflecting off it. Its true colour is golden. As I walk even closer, I see that it is indeed a block of gold. In all its glory. Finally, I reach the top of the stairs. I can now touch the block, feel it, feel its texture, weight, size, shape and everything about it. What started as as a singular speck of shining has lead me to a block of gold.”

This is an example of what it is like in the stairway method. If you really take a brain-check during the day, and concentrate on everything around you, life suddenly becomes amazing. You realise the true being of being alive, and what the universe looks like through the eyes of the concentrated mind. Which brings me to my next point.

See with your mind, not your eyes

This is possibly the most important point. Don’t pick out what your eyes want you to see: pick out everything that is there in your mind. You will have already seen everything with your eyes, but your mind will have only picked out the relevent parts. Therefore, you have to train your mind to see everything. Simply look around you: a guarantee that in a place you are familiar with (although its unlikely to be your home), you will find at least a couple of things that have been staring you blankly in the face, and you’ve never taken notice of them.

What does this experience feel like?

It feels almost like an LD, except clearer. Its a very close state to meditation while walking around. You may begin to hear things like your own voice echoing in your head, or you may become so immersed with the world around you, that you may not even hear you name being called.

And how is this supposed to help me with LDing?

This is what I need proven. My theory is that this highed state of alertness during waking life, will carry on into dream life. Obviously, due to the effort involved in getting into this state, its not one you can always remain in, so therefore it needs to be carried on as much as possible in RL. You have to think about everything, not just the task at hand. Hopefully, you will notice everything in a dream as well: providing you with lucidity.

What are the benefits of this over other techniques?

I believe when used on its own this isn’t going to help much. It may get you a few LDs, but nothing like what you really want. This is because it only requires effort during RL, not while falling asleep (as in MILD and WILD), therefore, for highest success, I suggest using it in conjunction with them. The advantages of it though are:

-Highed state of alertness. Its not a boring chore. It really is a great feeling to absorb everything going on around you.
-Daytime practice only, requires no effort at night.

Exactly how do I do this?

Here is the best guide I could think of (using examples)

-Firstly, you need to get philosophical with your mind. Get a friend or ask yourself to pick out a random person and describe their face. I’m guessing you will use terms like “egg-shaped head” or “ugly” “beautiful” “witchy type nose”. Now, think of what you just said. This person may be beautiful: but are they more beautiful than the person opposite them? They may be ugly: but surely not in the eyes of everybody? They may have an egg-shaped head: but how many other people do? And is it exactly shaped like an egg? The answer is, of course, no. Everything you said was a GENERALISATION. Everybody and everything is unique. This is when your mind will start to comprehend things.
-Now, look at a random object and apply the same process. You may have called a plant perhaps purple and stringy, or a plank of wood brown and long. Now apply the same thinking. Was it purple? Or was it red? Or is it more purple than other plants? It may seem stringy, but is it the same as a piece of string? No. Was the plank the same shade of brown as the other ones? Was it exactly the same length? No. Generalistions again. Everything is unique. Now, everything will become clear for you. You’ll begin to actually properly see objects, and comprehend them. Time for the next step.
-Take an object, and feel it. Perhaps an apple, you may say it is round and smooth. But is it as round and smooth as the one lying on the ground? No. Because it is also unique. Repeat this with another 2 objects. Your mind will be even clearer than ever now, as the uniqueness of the world really begins to show.
-The final step. Take a look around you. Your mind will comprehend everything it sees as unique. Suddenly, all those bricks aren’t the same that build your wall. All the leaves on the ground aren’t the same. That window isn’t the same. You will begin to see things you’ve never seen before, and you will experience an amazing sense of gratification.

What about at night?

-By night, your mind should still be doing all these things, although now subconsciouly. Do MILD or WILD and fall asleep.
-With any luck, you will question your surroundings during your dream as well. Things will be different, perhaps not so unique, or perhaps not feasible. You are now dreaming.

Examples/experiments to help you understand
-Try describing someones face exactly.
-Notice everything that you unconsciously do. eg breathing, blinking etc.
-When walking a path, ask yourself do you know where it will lead to each time you walk it? Why do you walk with your head up when the path could have been changed since the last time you travelled it?

To be added to. Please give feedback.

You are good at describing this state of counciousness, and I am sure it helps, but… isn’t it LL (lucid living, as we at ld4all named it some time ago) that you are talking about?
If you haven’t heared that term before, take a look at the “big lucid living” topic.

greets tapir

Yep, that must be it. I’ve just added my own personal method of it and described it in more detail, trying to get the word out.

By the way, in case you haven’t already guessed, this is pretty damn unlikely to work in your home. You know everything about your home by now I’m sure, and no matter how deep into this state you get, your probably still gonna see the same things. Try it somewhere you’re well aqquanited with (such as school, work or college) but don’t spend the time majority there.

Nice description of LL :good: I hope my work allows me to be more concious about the surroundings as i try to develop it also.

BTW, it can be practiced pretty well in your home too (if you haven’t already spent enough time to focus on every detail what your home consists). For example while reading your method i looked at the walls and to curtain and noticed certain lines, patterns, etc that are pretty small, but even as i have seen them before i have not NOTICED them before. Or if i look at a small plant besides of my pc and look at the details of it’s leafs. So i’m pretty sure that you have not noticed many details in your home furniture, and stuff.

very good explination of your method. however…[In my opinion], I think doing WILD with WBTB would be more successful…to me at least. Rarely do i have time to go brain dead during the day, because I am busy with school and school activities. I do like the method on how you explained it though. Good Job :grin:

I agree it is easier in a place that you don’t know. One time I did it in this museum for ancient arts and cultures, I kept it up for like an hour (usually I only manage some minutes).
However, as Cyrus said, it can be very cool to do it at home. One of the first times that I did LL I was walking past the garden of our neighbour. I walked this way thousands of times before, but this time I realized that I never really looked at it. There were so many things to see, the fine structure of the leaves…

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. :wink:

Here are the things I discovered before in my school that I had never before noticed (I assure you these are true):

-A huge forest behind my school.
-A beautiful mosaic window.
-A huge weeping willow.

I’m currently trying this out in my home now. Pretty hard.

Something I just found out while reading: the fabric of my chair. Its made of thousands of strings tied together. Never paid attention to it :eek:

ags_rule: I think what you say is very, very important our awerness has to be trained and developed here ILR and in LD.

If we want to boost this technique to the limit, we may want to shut up our built-in parrot :silent: , yeha, everyone has one inside the head (LOL) and perceive things without talking to ourselfs. As ags_rule already said we tend to pick just the idea or the model of a thing. These already made up descriptions are the fruits of talking to ourselfs all the time i think. To better carry out this technique, lets perceive the thing itself without words. Is sort of a dynamic maditation I think. :om:

wow yes, great description; thanks for offering it. i will continue to try to enhance my awareness through such a method.

gratefully | e

Something about using enhanced awareness on music (not for LDs):

ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.p … highlight=

Wow, thats pretty cool, tapir.

Most of the songs I listen to though tend to have distinctive beats, so it should be interesting to try out.

I’ll try this. I definitely need to be more aware of my surroundings in dreams. I miss a lot of opportunities through not noticing obvious signs.