Too normal

Over the time i have been lucid dreaming i have found my dreams to be too normal, they are just what i do most days with a few slightly out of place but possible things, any ideas on how to make them a bit more exciting/different which might cause an LD, so far all my lucid dreams have relied on wake-backtobed, so i want to try to get into a ld from within a dream without having to do RC’s in RL because i keep forgetting.

Read or watch tv or play a certain computer game alot. You’ll find they find their way into your dreams, making them more interessting.

As for techs, you can try MILD, VILD, WILD (for best results, use them along with WBTB). Search the site (try the serach function if you want) and you can find alot about them.

And don’t give up with RC’s. They take a while to get the hang of them,. but they do help alot.

even if you can never remember, try and get into the habbit of taking them when:

you wake up
you think or talk or hear about dreaming (especially lucid dreaming)
you feel worried

Perhaps it’s just me, but while I also go with the advice to read or watch something engaging, I strongly dislike computergame inspired dreams.
To me, a TV/book inspired dream is… well, just inspired. A computergame dream is more like the game carries over into your sleep. Makes me feel like someone stole my dream and placed a cheap game instead. Also, I am not very likely to go lucid, since every critical question is answered with “oh well, it’s just a computer game…”.

To cut it short, when it comes to dreams it’s
computergames :down:
good movie :good:
books :thumbs:

Anyone else feels like this?
tapir

Kinda.

I would make exception to RPG-games. I play graphical RPG (Wyvern) from time to time, and it’s landscapes are kinda inspiring, although i have not yet succeeded to get myself into them in LDs.

Dunno about the movies.

Few days ago i read a science fiction (some parts of it) before going to sleep. It was well written and with pretty intriguing quest to solve. In the same night i had a ND where i saw my grandma, who told me that she was in the mission to solve this quest and adopted 3 kids while doing the mission. She started to show pics about the mission and telling a story, but unfortunately the dream ended soon, so i had no chance to have alternative ending to the sci-fi i read IRL :tongue:

But books and LDs: i think one of my goals in future is to have spend some nice time in Middle Earth hanging with Tolkien’s characters, and maybe solving some quests :happy:

For me its different, and from here its probable that those different modes of ‘theme input’ differ from person to person in effect.

With TV, its crap. I stray from the tv before going to bed because my dreams are ‘stupidified’ for lack of a better word. I am much less aware in such and theres more the feeling of the dream being distant and me just watching it in memory, heh.

With movies and good tv-shows (sci fi like stargate, sliders, whatever) oh and ANIME! my dreams are up a notch. The surroundings are very unique and my ‘self’ is usually quite different, along with awareness, though some is retained and im more likely to become aware of strangeness.

With books, i’ll have to look into that. Very good idea though. Heh ive had some dreams where i would be reading the BEST book though, lol. Gateway by Frederich Pohl is perhaps my favorite book, but in my dreams ive read the even better version. :cool: (too bad i dont remember it) :tongue:

CPU games, they carry over into my dreams if i play before bed, and theyre usually ‘upgraded’ and everything kicks. Graphics, sounds, etc. BUT im the least aware here than in everything else. I agree tapir, here the ‘its just a game’ excuse totally prevails over questioning and in effect suppresses lucidity. I hate the way CPU games effect my dreams, especially when i got a younger brother who’ll wake up at 5 AM just to play tribes rpg in the next room. :neutral:

But the main thing for me, is nothing really. My dreams are usually quite out-there. I dont know it might be my pondering mind or something because even if i had a drab day my dreams are usually exotic and very foreign, unique, etc. But then other times it will do a switch like if i had a hectic day w/ a lot happening my dream might be a normal ‘work dream’ These two extreme cases are rare though. But oftentimes i’ll ponder some weird thing in the day and end up dreaming about it w/ a twist.

293 it could maybe just be a habituated thing. Im just throwing out this theory but its like what kinds of things you dream about are habituated. In other words you dream normal-day dreams because youre used to them? Perhaps identifying such as your most-oft theme is helping perpetuate the normalcy? I dont know how i could help you here, but you could try intention to have dreams of a different taste. Or you could try drawing before bed, or otherwise excersizing your abstract mind.

OR you could habituate RC’s into your waking life schedule. I would assume that it would carry into your dreams better than it would for others.

hope that helped! :smile:

Thanks all:)
Yeah I will try that, Sentient

I hate video game dreams! Everytime I pick up a friggin’ controller I dream about the game at night. Luckily I don’t play very often, but this side effect of video games has made me stop playing even more. Sometimes, however, it can be a good thing depending on your luck and what game it is…

By the way, RCs are especially effective when dreams are “normal”. Because you can do it in the moments, which have big possibility of repeating in dreams, and because your dream self is the same that waking-life self, so you won’t forget everything about RC the moment you fall asleep.

Edit:

But if you are categorically against RCs… :hmmm: Just read about something interesting to do in a dream. Think it would be cool to go through a mirror, for example. Just decide than you will necessarily do it in a dream… And when you do it, you’ll probably understand you are dreaming. It is also a useful thing for some people to create a deficit of information. Like you want to see what new disks are in a shop… But you don’t go there. You just decide that you will first go there in a dream and only then compare it with real life.

I have plenty of normal dreams that are boring. I use this as a DS. If I get fed up with a dream, my natural reaction is to make something (or someone) happen. For instance…I can’t get past this fence, I’ve been going along it for ages and I dont think I’m supposed to be here. Hmm… I expect there’s a small gate aroung the next corner. Yep, and behind it is {whoever}. “Hello, you probably want to…” etc etc. Actually, reading this, it would have been logical to try to fly over the fence. Logic doesn’t really work too well in dream though. And anyway, that wouldn’t have been taking control of the dream.
It’s important to have a clear idea of what you want to do. Don’t be too ambitous to start with, just make something appear or go to a specific place.
Practice makes perfect (ish).