Popup Blockers

A good firewall should have an inbuilt popup blocker.

Mozilla Firefox has an inbuilt popup blocker.

www.cnet.com < search popup blockers. you should find free ones.

If you have a mouse with 3 buttons, (or more) click on a link with the middle one and it will open in a new tab. No need for extra keys.

Or you could just hold down the ctrl key and press the left mouse button on any link.

DM, notice that tfyp was replying to a complaint about having to use the keyboard to use tabs! :smile:

and I’ve already complained about using my mouse wheel for a tab feature too! :tongue:

Look, it’s very simple.

You don’t want every link to open up in a new tab.

You have a few choices:

Ctrl+Click.
Middle click.
Right click is already taken… although I use the RadialContext extension which is actually quite fast to use once you learn it, and with that you hold your right button down and move your mouse to the right before releasing. (You could move to the right however much you want). Similarly, going left opens the link in a new window, and going up copies the URL to the clipboard. It’s very handy.

Down-left followed by left gives me the source of the page or frame, too. It’s all very neato.

Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox! Firefox! firefox!!!

Mystery

:cool_laugh: :crazy:

:tongue:

[color=red][size=75]
removed affiliate tags
[/size][/color]
EDIT:
Edited the link because it went to spreadfirefox instead of the firefox download page after the mod edit.

Wow. Thanks for the help guys! Soo much of it. I have had avant for quite a while, whoever suggested that. I love it. I have also had AVG for quite a while too. Rather indifferent to it cus it just sits there in the background and works silently!
The only one I dont have now is Ad-Aware, which I did used to have. Thanks whoever gave the link, I’m downloading it as we speak. Hopefully this should help.

DreamAddict… Opera enables you to open links in new tabs withouth using the keyboard or the mouse wheel: opera.com/features/mouse/

It’s a very nice feature.

(Similar extension available for Firefox, but I like the circular context menu instead which is basically the same only that it shows what you can do.)

I use not actually Firefox, but the full Mozilla suite - great browser, great mail client and rather sucky IRC client :wink:
But yeah, I’d vote Firefox.

Why use some overlays for IE? It always will be the same buggy, insecure core.

but did you try out that extension i talked about in my previous post?? This one does exactly what you want.

It seems to me like you have decided that firefox is crap and you wont even give it a try :tongue:

if you are getting lods of popups they should download spybot search and destroy
he is not a popup blocker but she deletes some stuff that could harm your computer

That’s totally untrue. Reading my rant from a few pages back, you can read that I tried to ditch IE in favor of Firefox … to “jump on the bandwagon” sort of speak.
When I did, I really disliked how my pages and fonts looked. When I visited forums and copied long URLs into the “reply window” … it created horizontal scroll bars :confused:
I hated that! :bored: I don’t like using two scroll bars when the job is much easier using 1 vertical scroll bar like IE provides.

I tried my best to ignore the problem, and continue to use it. That is when I clicked “Preview” on a long post I had written for the forum … and Firefox crashed causing me to lose what I had typed! :grrr:
That experience alone opened my eyes to Firefox, and I realized I no longer wanted to use a Version 1.0 browser. It’s “okay” as a browser, but it still needs a lot of work.

I’m not going to use it just to protest IE or Microsoft … I would if it worked, but I’m not sacrificing my time, effort, and resources to use a “subpar” browser such as Firefox. I’ll wait for improvements. :grin:

I had installed Firefox and Mozilla during the last week while the new LD4all layout was launched. It hasn’t crashed the few times I use it, but WOW does it eat up some RAM. I only have 192MB to play with, and for this Windows user it makes sense to not have 2! webpage rendering engines loaded into memory!! I need to be conservative, and make efficient use of the resources Windows 2000 Pro provides.

So I use and LOVE avant. It uses the IE engine and uses MUCH less ram than Firefox would. I get all the features of Foxfire and more:
*tabbed browsing
*customizable popup and ad blocking ← I can customize this to block ANY type of ad, even flash ads.
*Mouse geastures
*Customizable search bar <-I use google
*I can set my Avant to only load in my system tray, and not take precious space away from my taskbar.
task bar image
If you notice my 1024X768 resolution can easily fill up my taskbar with buttons, and setting my browser(and ALL my open webpags) to a small icon saves a lot of space. :content:

Also from that screenshot, you will notice a green graph with the number “88.” That is the signal level of my satellite internet connection. Satellite ISPs use a proxy feature that can improve webbrowsing performance. If I use proxy, I send my request for a webpage 22,000 miles up into space, and 22,000 miles down to the state of Maryland. Maryland then retrieves all my request on the ground(landline/low latency) and answers my request in one large burst back the 44,000 miles to me.
However, there are two ports I can use proxy, and sometimes one is less congested than the other. So I often change my internet connection settings, or disable proxy all together and have a direct connection. But a disable proxy means high latency webbrowsing so it’s not ideal unless the proxy server is having problems.(which can be often)
Check how simple Avant makes this feature for me. :happy:
The picture shows a small icon I have on my navigation menu at the top of the browser. It’s VERY handy for the type of connection I use, and not a feature in Foxfire.

I like a lot of the features Avant offers with less than two mouse clicks. I can disable ads, blockups, java, javascript, flash, sound, video, activeX … all with two mouse clicks.
VERY handy for some annoying webpages.
I can also clear my temp files, cookies, history, search terms, and MORE using the same 2 mouse clicks.
Not that easy on Foxfire. :wink:

I have used many browsers over the years, and I weigh and compare the features of all. When I was using Netscape 4.78 I never thought I would be using IE … but just because it’s Microsoft based I havn’t decided that it’s crap and you wont even give it a try. :tongue:

gone from ie to firefox and back
my firewall does the trick now of blocking popups
i guess ive just found ie nice and basic and sites look good on it nothing more

I’ve heard bad things about FireFox. I use IE with panicware as a pop-up blocker, and I’ve never had a problem.

Pop-up blocker is great, because you can control click something if need the pop-up, which rarely happens anyways. It works fine for me, I don’t really care…

hm… what kind of things? :wink:

Panicware? That’s terrible! Some sites (like newgrounds) have thins open in new windows on purpose. That massive alert it gives, too! At least use the Google toolbar!

I have google toolbar, sorry. Panicware I have also. You just hold control if you want a… hold on…

Nvm. I have google toolbar. Not panicware. I’m an idiot.