"Fail-safe RC's for use in public"

The hold-tight-your-nose RC (you try to breathe through nose while holding it)… you can pretend you’re just scratching(?) it.
Count-your-fingers RC is another reliable on, you can always try to count them by feeling instead of looking at your hand…

Yes the Hold your Nose Rc has always worked for me and when i do it in public nobody even thinks about it…unless they think i’m picking my nose :eh: heh but i doubt that because it looks normal. :wink:

I remember a photo was posted showing somebody pretending to be sneezing or something like like (they had their face are scrunched up) while actually they were doing the breathing RC.

You seem to have confused the RC itself with the reminder of it (that is, walking through a door). This is a common mistake. You can use any reminder you like - I usually suggest a dot with a pen on your hand.

You might want to check this at the wikibook, but take it with a pinch of salt - the reliability rating is not really appliable to everybody. It’s just a rough guess I created looking at the RC’s presence in LD forums and what other people have said.

PS Why do you care about the wierd looks? :tongue:

try to close one eyelock and look for your nose. If your not seeing it, your dreaming :content:

My hypothesis is that you can do the count-fingers RC with anything that comes in numbers in your dream, not just fingers. For example count the number of letters in a word. Or the number of stories on a building. Or the number of windows between a door and the end of the house. (count several times and see if the number is consistent).

I always think other people will think there is something interesting going on with my hands if i stare at them counting fingers. And what am i going to say if they ask me about it? I want RC:s to be un-akward.

But in practice i am usually 99% sure i’m dreaming, and then i might as well do any stupid RC i feel like, it’s my dream afterall :smile:

Hey you want to know something weird?

A few months ago i had this dream where i met this Safari guide, she told me that she would not let me go Lucid untill I stopped caring what other people thought about me when i did RCs.

The very next day I stopped caring a started doing them in public, That night i had 4 LDs and i havnt stopped since. :smile:

So basically just dont worry and do them anyway, You know if your embarassed in IRL you will be embarassed in your dream.

Good luck!

Apollo… wow that’s a interesting dream! Glad you’re having LD’s from now on. :wink:

Holding your nose is an excellent RC! Yup… and you could just do letter rc… if you see a sign… look away and expect it to change when you look at it again. :smile: That would be less obvious… but it’s known to fail sometimes. >_<

1. There’s no such thing as a fail safe RC. I’ve tried out the majority of them, and all of them have ailed at least once.

2. Just glance down at your fingers. Or make it look as though your sneezing/wiping your nose. Make ti look like your leanign against a wall.

3. Any can.

Strange, I thought the nose RC looks more weird than counting fingers. So everyone looks at me when I count them? Horror! :panic: runs to the shrink to treat a fit of paranoia
I think I’ll get a ring with a big, big, big brilliant so that I could pretend I’m just cannot help admiring it. Heh, LDing can be expensive sometimes! :grin:
But counting different things like windows several times, as Dream Monster wrote, can be a good RC, too.
I can also advice sticking a finger through the other hand. It seems to be reliable and can be disguised easily (though I never do it myself, I am just used to my set of RCs :shy: ).

Walking through a door can be a way of RC, too (when you expect to see something out-of-this-world behind the door you are going to open).

No one has ever given my weird looks or asked me about any of the RC’s I make… even if I do it right in front of them :confused:.

ilana: Never heard of them, but it sounds pretty inconvenient. Besides, bigo said:

Obviously talking about the reminder. :tongue:

Sureal: I used to close my right eye and look for my nose, close my left eye and look for my nose, then close my nose to try to breathe through it. For some reason, when I closed my right eye, I would press my right finger against the right side of my head. Looked a bit odd.

A friend said “I didn’t know you’de turned Christian.” Took me a bit to figure out what he thought I was doing. :grin:

I use to use the check you nose one (and did it with both a eyes as well). It is very easily concealed, but it’s never worked for me… so it’s also useless (for me anyway)…

SiNCe WHEN!!! :eek: :bored: :confused: :eh: :huh: :uh: :woah:

1. I don’t know of any RC’s that is a 100% fail safe. Your dreams are so strongly influenced by your expectations that any RC has a chance of failing you.

2. Have you considered just asking your self “am I dreaming”. Do it seriously and look for evidence to prove that you are(are not) dreaming. I think it would be much more effective and people can’t see what you are thinking.

3. Just about any RC can be done as often as you like.

Using lightswitches is not such a good one to do regularly! :wink:

The electric companies might disagree. :grin:

Hi! I’m new to LD and to this forum, but I have achieved my first wanted LD last night after about 1 week of trying. The RT I use in public (that doesnt make me look wierd and works pretty well) is I have one of those “LIVESTRONG” bracelette and I check it often to make sure it says those words. Usually works.

ill DEF do the livestrong onw…cuz evryone in my HS has one now, and i was gonan get one tomorrow anyway. Woo!!!

Yeah, alot of the time for me lightswitches work…

This Is what I tend to do. I think of what I’ve done so far that day, people I’ve met, I look at my surroundings etc to find odd stuff. I think it does me as good as counting fingers etc. The point is simply to ask yourself if you’re dreaming or not.