In your LOTR book, is Smeagol's name Gollum or Golem ?

In LOTR french translation, Smeagol is also called Gollum.
A friend :wiske: whose mother lives in Ottawa told me that in the Canadian version of LOTR, the name of Smeagol was Golem. :confused:
She told me too that it could exist an American translation and a Canadian translation, and that they could be slightly different from the English LOTR ! :eek:
I really don’t trust her. :tongue:
Could Canadian, American and English people tell me if it’s Gollum or Golem in English ? And if there is a English/Canadian or English/American translation, too ? (what sounds stupid, I know :grin: )

I’m not sure if I know exactly what you mean, but in my copy (the english english version) it is Gollum.

Maybe this can help:

templesanjose.org/JudaismInf … /Golem.htm

I just want to know if in your “Lord of the Rings” book, Smeagol is also called Gollum or … Golem ?
And, if you’re Canadian or US citizens, if your book is a translation of the “English English” Tolkien’s book.

maybe your friend is just confusing gollum with the jewish golem?

I think so. If you google for “gollum golem confusion”, you find a lot of topic about such a mistake.
But could it be possible that, somewhere in the world, in an LOTR translation, Smeagol is called Golem ?
Oops ! I forgot to ask the question to Australian and New Zealand people too ! :bored:

I have a Canadian edition in English, and there is Gollum.

:shrug:

It’s Gollum in the Norwegian translation as well.

Thank you for your answers !
My friend :wiske: was probably wrong. :tongue: I told her about this thread and then she asks her mother : on the the Canadian/English DVD of LOTR, it’s written Gollum. It seems to be pronounciation problem. :smile:

It’s Gollum, as far as I know

One of my friend claimed that the name is Goblin, but he only saw the movie :smile:

In the Dutch translation it’s Gollem (with two l’s)

So, there are really some countries where it’s translated as Gol(l)em…

I bought the books in America and mine says “Gollum”.