Who needs sleep? New pill hits scene

boston.com/dailyglobe2/265/n … eneP.shtml

Who needs sleep? New pill hits scene

By Carey Goldberg, Globe Staff, 9/22/2002

-hmmm, who doesn’t want to sleep??

Not me said the dreamer, NOT me!

This is sick if you ask me:)
And i sense amphetamine like addiction in no time.
Vampires gonna rule the world!!

that was hell of a quick post,

Jack, it is strange. I’m thinking I like sleep, I look forward to dreaming. Vampires, hehe-ha. Hey just wait and see when there is a shared-dream machine created, a Matrix…lucid dreamers gonna rule the world, hah-haha

I would like to try it. For science, of course. :wink:

Well if we can’t sleep then we can’t LD, so I won’t take the pill :wiske:

It does have it’s uses. Some of the comments on the article are that it keeps you alert. I’m curious as to what, if any, of the side effects are. They didn’t really make this clear. Sounds as if just keeps you alert, which could be nice. However there are many people who require little, or no sleep for long periods and they do not suffer sleep deprivation. When it is easily avaliable on the streets I know alot of people whom will take it.

Unbelievable. Sleep is vital. We need to sleep more and more. Young children should be taught to Lucid Dream by the time they’re 5. Isn’t is interesting how shit like that pill and Ritalin is widely given out yet natural, divine lifeforms like Magic Mushrooms are banned by our fascist government?

Yes, drugs such as ones that are purely NOT addictive should be less controlled. Anyone whom had taken such psychedilic drugs would realize how much they are not addictive. I believe they are too powerful, they can actually scare people when taken. It’s funny because the only thing they are scared of is themselves.

But then again, like lucid dreaming, when explaining psychedilic drugs to a “non user” it is nearly impossible to have them understand your point of view, because of YOUR experience. The experience must be experienced to be understood on a communication level, otherwise you are merely fighting.

i bet if one took this drug on a regular basis one would find one’s lifespan significantly decreased.

This may be so. Then again this could be for a number of pharmadeuticals, putting stresses on our bodies. Isint a great cause of problems in the human body related to stress, didn’t I hear this somewhere? It fits, drugs are a concentrated source of the particular substance, of course when it enters your body, your body reacts to the concentrated substance. This is like when you are eating food, it is wiser to eat your food first then some time after drink fluids, this is because the water tends to impede the digestion of your food. So your body can be pulled in one direction then in another, although in a small way.

A prediction: first of all, some dictators (for example “Asian tigers”) will see this pill as a means to become economically stronger than western countries. Everybody there will be forced to take this pill so they can work 24 hrs/a day. Then western leaders will all become concerned about losing “competitivity advantages” and will discuss the possible dangers of getting “economically behind”. Eventually companies here will be allowed to force their citizens to work from dusk til dawn and from dawn til dusk… Of course, western leaders will not oblige you to take that pill, we live in a free and democratic society, but if you don’t take it you won’t earn a cent because nobody will give you a job. BTW Why would you NOT choose to take this pill? Because you want to dream, you want lucid dreams? LOL! Are you serious? Come on dude, there are so many things that are much more important, like economical stats, suppose China will become economically stronger than us because you don’t want to take a pill… because you want a LUCID DREAM!!!

Forgive the sarcasm, and probably I am way too pessimistic, but I really guess this pill could be abused so that it becomes another burden instead of bringing the greater amount of freedom it promised.

I actually kind of agree with you BrainHacker. In the article people were like… “Oh I will have lots of time to spend with loved ones and blah blah blah.” I TOTALLY see it being used to increase time for work and not play. I would have used America as an example though. We here in the states are living in a total work-based society methinks. Whats the first thing you ask someone when you meet them… what do you do?

If you are a philosopher in some societies… revered. In America? You are a lazy non-working bum. This probably seems harsh but I think a lot of our society is based around work and monetary success. This pill would be a boon for industry.

I think I’m relatively lucky who live up here in Norway then… I will say that our societicy is much less focused on work and stuff, but your vision still scares me Brainhacker, because if we would risk getting far behind other nations economically, the pill would probably also be allowed here :sad: If we had to take the pill, that would be the end of all lucid dreams.

And worst of all… I think the leaders would call it a “scientifical progress”. It is ten steps back, if you ask me…

Sickening if you ask me. Seriously, our body needs sleep for revitalization. This is seriously disregarding natural facts of science about the human body!

Who wants to be a non-sleeping zombie anyway?

" In America? You are a lazy non-working bum."
Thats what i have allways thought:)I wish i was one:)

Well, here’s another vision: some clever members of TTM create an instant lucidity pill, not that pseudo-dreamstuff like salvia D but a completely healthy “take-it-and-start-to-dream”-pill. They send it to George W. Bush who cannot resist trying it. Next day, a delighted Bush says on TV that everyone should have the right to dream and that US will foster peace and lucidity in the whole world…

Oops, I am dreaming!

:cool_laugh:

I would probably use this pill sometime…
Maybe for a month, when I’m in debt, have to pay my credit card bill, then I would take it for some time, work day and night, and pay it all. It could be useful.

The problem with giving the pill to GW Bush is this - conservatives want personal freedoms so long as they are not immoral by conservative standards. Likewise, liberals want personal freedoms so long as they de-emphasize the individual and are moral/amoral by liberal standards.

Look at what happens when liberals get their way 100% of the time - the USSR.

Look at what happens when conservatives get their way 100% of the time - the Spanish Inquisition.

I say elect a moderate libertarian and he won’t need to try the pill at all. :smile: