Lucidity Stupidness

hi, i found this site about a mont ago, and sinc then i’ve ben practising lucid dreaming, i’ve had one night full of lucid dreams, but since then i’ve had trouble with them, i’ve drummed lucid dreaming into my head, and almost every night i dream about lucid dreaming, but i dont become lucid, even though i sometimes dram about becoming lucid, for example. last night i dreamt that i was at school trying to read something, but i was having trouble understanding the words, so i say to myslef “i bet if i look away and look back, the words will be different” so i do it and the words change, i think “cool, i’m dreaming” then look around for a clock to see what it loks like, and its spinning like crazy, but i dont go further into realizing i’m lucid, and get swept back into the dream, and i’m not lucid, sometimes i’d realize i’m dreaming, move something with my mind, then i would be back to normal dreaming again,

like this other dream, i was at a friends place, and to get there you have to go through a paddock where there are heaps of snakes, but i went through it without even seeing any snakes, then i’m about to go home and i say to my friend, “shit, i cant go through the paddock, the reason i did get bitten on the way here is because i am dreaming, and i didnt think about the snakes, but now that i am thinking about them, they will appear” my friend just looked at my wierd, and i say “dont worry, its lucid dreaming, i’ll tell you about it sometime” then the dream went bac to normal"

other times, id realize i’m dreaming, fly a little bit, impress my friends then the dream would go back to normal. my only real good LD’s are when i would realize i’m dreaming, stop, think about it, spin around, and sti for a while, thinking of things to do, while rubbing my hands together to remain lucid, i’ve only done that once, and it was the best LD ever, but in all my other dreams, i dont remember to do this, i just dont have common sence. i hate to know that i am having the oppotunities to have great LD’s but i’m missing out on them.

can anyone help me, any techniques to fix my lucidity problems, because i’m having these like evey second night, and if i could make it possible to becaome fully lucid that often, it would be great. thanks

It’s certainly not uncommon to dream about lucid dreams, especially if you spend a lot of time thinking about them. You seem to be performing a lot of reality checks in these dreams, so there certainly is a lot of potential there for you to become lucid.

Do you often do RCs while awake? If so, are you doing them properly?

This is something which has been dicussed in the Reality Check thread:

https://www.slagt.net/ld4all/viewtopic.php?t=540&sid=5909d60c76d74dd9dcaafc086aae2791

To sum it up, you need to be more critical of the RC result. Rather than simply observing the words or numbers changing, you need to use this as a trigger to alert your conscious mind that you want to become aware, and take control.

Well in real life the only reality check i do is trying to put my finger through my palm, but as of yet, i’ve never done it in a dream,
although i’ve only ever done reality chekcs in my dream twice, all others have just been observations of my environment, all other times i’ve become lucid, i would just suddenly realize its a dream, sometimes when nothing wierd has happened, i would just click “hey, i’m dreaming” then proceed to do something cool before returning to my dream.

p.s you got msn?

Ive had a few of those LDs that last for just a minute. I always wish that I had just stood still for a minute and worked on increasing my lucidity and control.

I think my problem lies in the fact that there are so many things I want to do that I get scattered and tend to try to do all the fun stuff first. For instance, upon learning that I am dreaming I will immediately try to travel to a tropical beach and then hardly have I gotten anywhere when I will slip back into the normal dream or wake up. This always fouls things up because I haven’t spent time building a strong proficiency for LDing.

I think that what I need to do is just decide, “this is what I am going to do in my next lucid dream,” and then stick to that. Make a concrete decision and I’m bound to remember it. Maybe you need the same? Consciously make a decision to build some skill at strengthening your hold on your lucidity before going off and working some dream magic.

I totally agree with that.

Often the first thing that I do when I become lucid is just run around waving my arms about trying to pack 20 years of excitement into the undoubtedly VERY short time that it will last.

Recently I’ve been starting things off with simply examining my hands and trying to make the world as clear and vivid as possible. It’s like walking a tightrope.

If you are actually able to incorporate LD into your dreams, you can maybe tell yourself to stay lucid once you’ve thought about it. Try to think about methods of retaining lucidity when you think about LD.

Incorporating ideas into my dreams is something I’ve been unsucessfully trying, and you seem to have done it. I’m trying to find a pattern with daily activity and my dreams in my DJ. I also find that whenever I realize I’m dreaming, it sort of hits me and I become very aware, almost as if I can think freely again, but it doesn’t seem so with you.

well yea try RC that you actually perform while dreaming. I often do the time check among others IRL, but in my dreams that’s the only obvious sign that often scares me into a LD.

Thats exactly it. I go "I’m dreaming! Hazah!!! " Then I get all scattered… try to fly, spin myself somewhere else, talk to my dream characters and create familiars… and then its gone.

I just need to relax a little, learn to strenghten my grip on the new reality and maintain the dream. Then next time I have an LD I will be better practiced at keeping myself going strong.

And why don’t quotes ever work for me!? :neutral:

When posting, make sure you untick the box that says “Disable BBCode in this post”.

This allows things like bold, Italic, undelined, quotes and URLs to be displayed in a HTML-type fasion.