So overwhelming...

I’ve wanted to have lucid dreams for almost a year now, but school has always gotten in the way. I’m in year 12 btw.

My exams finish in a week, and I figured “hey one of these FAQ’s said do it when there is little/no stress like school or work”… it’s easier/you can wake up in the middle of the night better.

Well I have a casual job at KFC (woo!) so it’s not much of a problem, but the thing is the entire subject is so overwhelming.

I don’t remember almost ANY of my dreams. Sometimes (meaning monthly… or less) I can remember themes of dreams. I dreamt about an exam a week ago, it’s exam time for me at school :razz:

Where do I start? How do I remember dreams more easily, and how do I then start developing techniques to Lucid dream. Honestly I have no clue how you would use a “sign” or whatever to induce a lucid dream?

Sorry, I bet you guys have heard this allll before but I’d appreciate the help. I would post here a lot if I did start it working :happy:

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

You can start right now, you don’t have to wait for exams. Sure, you may have more time and energy to devote to LDs afterwards. But I would begin right away with some important stuff first.

The very 1st and most important! step for your case is a dream journal. You mention that it’s hard for you to remember dreams. It’s very very important for you to keep a dream journal. Did I mention it’s very important? :wink: Well, it is.

You’ll be surprised how your dream recall can really increase with the use of a DJ. Keep a small pad and pencil close to your bed, a laptop, a tape recorder, or those handy MP3 players that voice record. When you notice yourself wake up, take a minute to remember your dreams. Lay there with your eyes closed and try retracing yourself through your dreams the best you can. Then, Instantly record your dreams. Don’t be lazy :wink: and don’t fool yourself into thinking “Oh this is such a clear memory. I don’t have to record it” … that’s a mistake. Dream memories are funny like that and fade very fast.

This is the best advice that I can think of for you right now. Lucidity will follow after you take this first and most important step of increasing your dream recall. I have had LDs that I have not remembered I’m sure. I once went 2 days before something reminded that I had a LD, so I’m sure poor dream recall makes people forget some of the LDs they do have.

The 2nd step would be to study your dream journal. Learn the most common situations and dream “signs” that appear in your dreams. Once you learn your most common “dream signs,” you can learn to recognize these and become lucid. :cool_laugh: An example of a dream sign would be: “dreaming of being nude in a classroom, dreaming of an old house or neighborhood, or visiting a friend or relative that you have not seen in a long time.”

People are different though, so I hope others can offer different advice on what works for them. The above is what works best for me and I’ve had hundreds of LDs.

Good-luck! :thumbs: