Never remember dreams...

First of all let me say that this site is the most indepth site I have seen on dreaming…Thank you!

Ok, here’s my problem…I NEVER remember my dreams! :eh: Well, I might remember bits and pieces of 4-5 dreams A YEAR, and about 1 entire dream if it is really intense. What am I doing wrong? Is there anything to do to help remember? I know that I dream everynight, several dreams, like the rest of us, but why is it that some remember and some dont?

I have tried to will myself to dream by throughly thinking - ‘I want to remember my dreams’-as I drift off to another eventless sleep :sad: It doesnt help.

I understand the theory behind dream therapy and I need it, to recall events in my childhood, as subconscious signals to the path I should choose, as answers to questions that my subconscious can answer.

THanks in advance for responding, I will keep you all updated to my success in slumber.

Stacie

make sure that the very first thing that comes into your mind when you wake up is what was i just dreaming. even if you cant remember your dreams, keep a dream journal anyway, just write anything you can possibly remember. you can also try interrupting your sleep at certain times, like wake yourself up 30 minutes before you usually do and then go back to sleep for 30 minutes trying to dream.

That’s a good idea. Try setting an alarm to wake you in the middle of the night. Then see if you can recall any dream fragments, and record these fragments in your dream diary. Definitely start keeping a dream diary. And if you wake up in the middle of the night with some memory of a dream, force yourself to record it in the diary. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’ll remember it later, dream memories fade quickly.
Goodluck! :thumbs:

Also, as I stated in one of my topics, mint tea will help you remember dreams.

Hi Punkinnn!

Or you could try auto-suggestion i.e. repeating the same phrase over and over again so it’s the last thing on your mind before you go to sleep.
I too had some problems with dream recall but the repetition of the sentence “I remember my dreams” worked wonders for me (although it took approximately a week to see the results). Just go to bed try to relax and repeat something like “I rememer my dreams” or “I remember my dreams better and better” or “I remember my dreams when I wake up”. Perhaps you have to experiment a bit to see how often/how long you have to repeat the suggestion in your mind (I get EXCELLENT results if I do this for at least 10 minutes i.e. if I keep at it for at least 10 minutes I will most likely remember 3 dreams). Important though are: use first person and present tense in your suggestion (so you sort of ‘trick’ your mind into believing that you already can remember your dreams, as opposed to “I will remember my dreams” which didn’t work for me - “I will” meant at some point in the future to me; not very helpful).

Hope this helps

cu on the ‘other’ side…

Morpheus

:mrgreen_hat: Thanks Morpheous! I tried what you said by repeating; I remember my dreams, I will remember my dreams tonight…etc - AND, I remembered a dream! It was only after 3 nights that this worked, but 3 nights is nothing compared to months! I hope this continues to work. Thanks for the advice. :partying_face:

Here’s a thought I had… you may know this but alcohol and pot and that stuff makes you forget your dreams, so if you are using any of that stuff, you really will have trouble remembering your dreams. I seem to remember my dreams better during the week… haha! :grin:

Very, very important:

Get enough sleep! :content: