Danger of Watch Reality Check

I posted a while back about having problems confirming reality (Or actually confirming dis-reality), I would look at my watch, note that it was wrong (All Zeros or something else wierd), but be terribly worried about the validity of this check, Is it broken? Am I reading it wrong? Could I seriously be dreaming, it all seems so real? Well I did finally get over it and procede to enjoy several lucid nights so far. But Saturday night it happened… I was sitting in a friends car, chowing down on some Wendy’s Food, we had to return to work in 30 minutes, I set my watch as we left. I checked my watch once I finished my food to see how long we had left. Much to my suprise, it was blank… nothing was on my watch. I instantly thought, “I’m Dreaming!” but something was wrong… it wasn’t the same, how in all heck could I be dreaming, I scrambled around with my eyes trying to find some hint of reality or lack there of. My eyes finally fell upon his car clock… time was consistant… I wasn’t dreaming. Knowing what most of us do in our lucid dreams I’m sure most of you know what COULD have happened in that situation. (On a side note, the watches battery had simply died, I didn’t realize how important a watch could be until mine was gone, imagine wanting to do a RC w/o a single bit of text around and a friend nearby… geez… You can bet I replaced that watch first thing the next morning.)

I had an LD that night without problems using the watch check… but it still makes me wonder about the consequences of mis-diagnosing a dream sign/ dream-state based only on the watch check. Many dreams are so realistic that this is the only thing that could possible clue you off.

I generally don’t rely on the Reality Check to determine if I am dreaming or not. For some reason, once I become lucid (perhaps due to some other inconsistancy in the dream) I just know that it is a dream. There is a certain look and feel to everything that just gives it away. Usually I do the watch RC afterwards to increase the lucidity.

Even though my only RC is I ask myself if I’m dreaming or not (does the trick for me), the fact that not knowing if you’re dreaming or not in ‘reality’ is awsome! Enjoy it when it DOES happen. Who knows, maybe you’ll fly away and be on Channel 9 news.

:happy:

LoL

That was so funny.
Imagine what could have happened!