nyquil

well it be ok to take nyquil to help u sleep better?

nyquil? :eh:

Ditto claudia.

NyQuil
Whenever I hear “NyQuil”, I immediately think of Dennis Leary and this comedy skit. :grin:
Basically NyQuil is a cold/flu medicine, but it knocks you the heck out.

NyQuil definintly knocks you out… and usually keeps you out a good 1-3 hours after your “normal sleeping time”. Taking NyQuil every night could potentially be harmful due to some of the chemicals in it, although I’m not familiar with the specifics. Also, if you take it too often, you body can build up an immunity to it (and all other drugs of that type) and it will never work on you again, so the the next time you have a cold might not be very pleasent. I would imagine that taking it maybe once or twice a week to help you sleep wouldn’t be harmful, but I wouldn’t keep that habit up for too long either. You should probably only go four weeks MAX on this type of pattern, and then take a four to six week break.

I’m no doctor, but this is what I know from general information I’ve recieved throughout my life.
Interesting idea for a new method…

Nyquill contains DXM (which can be used recreationally but is pretty bad, especially if you do it on a regular basis) So you could take a normal dose to get to sleep but it’s not a good idea to make it a habit. There’s other threads on DXM you can search for or check out erowid…suposedly it’s supposed to be good for LDs although I don’t know much from experience.

I remember one time i was sick so i took some nyquil and that night i had a pretty low level LD, its probably ok to take no more than once a month

I remember one time i was sick so i took some nyquil and that night i had a pretty low level LD, its probably ok to take no more than once a month

I wouldn’t take it for any other reason than the one its intended for. There could be a risk of addiction here, plus, there are a lot of cases where drugs like this can cause serious damage to your health.

whatever you do, stay away from the robotussen! my ex-boyfriend & his crazy hippy friends were always drinking that stuff (like 1-2 bottles EACH) to trip & it was DISGUSTING! they’d drink it as fast as they could, usually puke, then set around for hours looking like they’d left their brains in the toilet. (they probobly did :wink: ) they tried to get me to take the stuff, but it was too nasty. the most i ever did like that was take a box of corsiden (cuz they were acting like it was so amazing to go to “the hole” & they said it’d do the same thing), well it was the worse thing i’ve ever done! i didn’t feel bad, & for a little while i fealt a little silly, but then i sat down & descended into that “hole” they all talked about & i didn’t want to come back to my life! (especially since the ex & i weren’t all too happy in our relationship) i swear to god i was out of my body, communicating with the universe (maybe i died & came back), then i slowly began to realize that i was a living human being & had a sucky life to come back to… i remember staring at my hand thinking over & over “i’m real” & “i don’t want to come back” & “where are my clothes?” :shy:
sorry to go off on a tangent, just wanted to say “JUST SAY NO TO COUPH SYRUP!” (at least at high doses, anyway) :grin:

Since NyQuil is alcohol based, you may not sleep very well when on it, and you may not remember your dreams very well either.

It’s worth a shot if you can’t sleep any other way, but just don’t get addicted to it.

There are medicines that are speciffically for aiding falling alseep. Why take a cough syrup as a sleep aid when you could take a real sleep aid. Still, those can inhibit REM sleep, I hear, and as MrEricSir said, Nyquil is alchohol based. Alchohol also inhibits REM sleep.

I remember taking that stuff when I had the flu. I had HORRIBLE nightmares. I thought I died and got tossed to the darkest side of hell. :blush: