Gaining Lucidity

Well, I’m a beginner at lucid dreaming. In fact, I’ve only begun attempting to lucid dream over the last month or so, although I’ve had ‘accidental’ ld’s before that, in my early childhood. Anyway, I’ve been keeping a dream diary, and I can easily remember 2, 3, or sometimes as many as 4 dreams per night. The problem is, I can’t seem to gain lucidity. Looking back on my dreams in the morning, it should have been painfully obvious to me while I was dreaming that I was dreaming, but it just never occured to me. I’ve been using NILD and WILD on occasion, but mainly I stick to MILD because it seems to be the most recommended for beginners. I also do somewhat regular reality checks, like looking at my watch to see if the time has changed irrationally, looking at my hands, or reading text. Can anyone offer some advice on ways to improve my chances for recognizing that I’m dreaming? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried napping (wake-back-to-bed) yet? Sleep for 6 hours, wake up for 10 minutes or so, then go back to sleep. LaBerge reported that doing a trick like this (I forget the exact details) increased the chances of having a lucid dream about 20 times. It does work, and it seems to work for just about everybody, so try it. Give it a week or two, and adjust the times as you see fit.

Yeah, I’ve tried NILD several times, but still no luck. I’m guessing I just need to give myself more time and practice and it will come. I’m just curious about techniques that have worked for you, because it really amazes me that I can’t seem to realize I’m dreaming while I’m in the dream. I’ve dreamt things like shooting robots with a cell phone! And yet I don’t seem to be able to gain lucidity. :[ Any ideas?

I use WILD and NILD, and I eat alot of vitamin B.

try vitamin B.

I’ve had a very vivid LD a while ago. I am so awake in that LD that I can even remember the list of things that I’ve decided to do in a LD when I am awake. All my LDs are DILD, and this is how I gain lucidty.

I remember in that LD I start with low lucidly and not so vivid dream. But once I got Lucid, because I afraid that I will lose lucidty, so I keep saying to myself that I am dreaming. I keep saying that for about 15 mins dream time :confused: . Then when I thought it is enough I stopped and take a look at what is happening in the dream. I’ve notice that my mind is so awake :sleeping: so awake that just like in real world. I can remember my name and where is my physical body is. When there is a FA, I can even notice and say that this is not my room, therefore I am still dreaming.

Now, once I get lucid, I will use that “I am dreaming” method to gain my lucidty.