Religon of the 21st century---SCIENCE

I just thought of this today. Science is exactly like the religons of our past. In ancient religons, people said there were gods that controlled everything, and these were the principles of the religon, these unprovable gods. Well in science its the same thing, sure science is FACT but there are still so many underlying principles that cant be proved or explained. I mean what if in the future, when these underlying principles are discovvered we will be laughed at for this “science”. O well, just my 2 cents…Ben

Those things already happend…in science, think of the model of Dalton that an atom is a massive particle…we smile at that idea now!
But these days we want proof 4 beliefs and in the old days it was more on trust…

:smile: Jeff

I dont think that science would be laughed at as if it were a thing of the past that was really dumb. We would just say , “Woa, what were we thinking.” or something, or maybe we would laugh at it, like how we used to think the Earth was flat.
Who knows? I wont be around to see it.

I think it might depend on whether or not geneticly enhanced, cloned, superhumans have a sense of humor.

Rofl Firehorse…hahahahahah…lol!

Good point…but i think yes because we ppl find humor a reward…

:happy:

Jeff

Good post, Ben.

I think Jeff got it right straight off the mark. Science is the process of trying to discover out how something works, given ONLY the evidence that we can see and examine around us. Religion is more based on ‘taking a guess’ as far as I’m concerned. Back in the beginnings of popular religion, we knew nothing about the earth, the cosmos or even ourselves. All we could do was point to the sky and say things like “Well, I think a big all-powerful thing made us all - what do you guys think?”

i agree with Atheist, Religon is more faith and trust and trying to explain the unexplainable, whereas science is trying to absolutly prove something with all evedence.

I’m going to sell myself to science one day,I’m going become a genetic engeenering lab rat :content:

Ok Zwitter let me do the testing then on u lol!
U be our lucid test rat lol!
And all ppl post what herbs and chemicals 4 lucid dream tests they wanne do on u…hehehe

Well i promise we give u a lucid live… :happy:

Jeff

Although, don’t some scientists decide what they want the results to be, and then try and prove it? Isn’t this what’s called a hypothesis?

Surely human interpretation of results/data comes into it somewhere along the line?

Wasn’t there a test done at some point that proved that this was true, although saying that, maybe the person conducting this particular experiment had already decided that it was so? :wink:

Ed.

Key words; They TRY to prove it.
If they are wrong, they change their views accordingly. If you go into a Church and start trying to prove wether God exsists or not, you arent gonna make any friends any time soon. :wink:

Scientific thinking sometimes becomes as much an ethos as any religion though. It can be very difficult to fly in the face of popular scientific opinion, even if you have all of the facts…people are not always willing to change their beliefs, however these beliefs have originated.

Science as we know it been existing only about 100 yrs in our civilization.We`re just adopting to it very quickly.We jumped from world full of myths and legends into sciencific reality.That sure can confuse us.Its little time for ewolution to make an adaptation.Thats why we thorn apart…something inside drags our thoughts to hope there are unlimited worlds and realms and reality seems to reject it.
I wonder how we end up:)

They may not be eager to change their beleifs, but they usually do change.
Look at how everyone thought Columbus was nuts, but he proved the world was round (kinda indirectly and if you think about it now it was really a kind of happy coincidence that North America was there) but people still eventually accepted the world was a sphere.

I guess there is often good reason for not beleiving people who fly in the face if accepted scientific thought, too…did anyone see that documentary a while back that supposedly ‘proved’ that Nasa had never landed on the moon? It made a bit of a stir at the time, but was, of course, total and utter bollocks.

Never saw that one, but I’ve heard about the whole fake moon landing thing.

If you want a bit of a laugh, check out www.badastronomy.com - it details the points raised in the ‘moon conspiracy’ program, and why they are rubbish. The site also has a pretty good explanation of all that Planet X, ‘oh no, were all going to die’ etc doomsday nonsense.

“God created man because he was not satisfied with the monkey.”

That was great, some one should e mail that URL to some of those doomsday guys. The part about the quote that guy had in his book on the observitory and wether or not plantet X was a comet or brown dwarf, and they got the location of the observatory wrong, that was the best part!
:smile: