Paradox's

Hey everybody,

I’m looking for some good paradox’s. Either saying’s or something else.
For those who don’t know what a Paradox is. The dictionary’s definition is: " a statement etc. that seems to contradict itself or to conflict with common sense but which contains a truth(more haste, less speed)".
Another example is one of my favorite’s. “I see said the blind man to his deaf dog”. The more the merrier.

This one only works if you imagine that god is a man (with a long beard :wink: ).

God is omnipotent. This means he can create a rock which he won’t be able to lift. But if he’s not able to lift it, this means he’s not omnipotent.

i actually wrote a poem with a lot of paradox statements or oxymorons… dont know if there’s a difference…
one line was

i am with the crowd that’s not with the crowd.

:content:

ok…

There’s a guy in a town that can’t go to any other town. He cuts everyone in the towns’ hair that doesn’t cut their own. He is the only barber in the town. Who cuts the barbers’ hair?

someone who cuts his own hair, i think…
but i’ll have another look. i might be wrong.

Fabi

Edit: Oh, I see, the other people are not allowed to, cause they’re not barbers…

Oh well, I guess then it is a paradox… :alien: <---- just like him :wink:

Wait a second… That’s Bertrand Russel, right? :wiske:

Fabi

huh? i just saw it in some book… idk :bored:

What happens when an irresistable force meets an immovable object?

Can infinite power destroy infinite power? That’s actually something I was thinking about, but I won’t get into that … :eh:

lmao, Homer on the simpsons asked a similar question when he was on pot…

Now Imagine, when you say power what do you mean. In power do you mean energy. I would like to know more.

one power could still beat the other unless they were invulnerable, which is not necessarily implied in your statement… but I think I know what you mean.

Fabi

Some examples of Zen paradoxes (called koans):

If you want to become whole, let yourself be partial.

You are familiar with the sound of two hands clapping. What is the sound of one hand clapping? Do not tell me. Show me.

Let me take an illustration from a fable. A cow passes by a window. Its head, horns, and the four legs all pass by. Why did not the tail pass by?

What is your original face, the face you had before your parents were born? Again, do not tell me about it. Show me.

How many Zen Buddhists does it take to change a light bulb? Two, one to change it and one not to change it.

What happens to my fist when I open my hand?

If a straight line is an infinite circle, then where is its centre?

My joints are so flexible i can clap with one hand…lol no joke!
So i can show you what sound it makes!

Jeff

Yeah, I’m sorry, when I said power I didn’t mean “power” exactly. I should have explained it more cause now that I read it it doesn’t make sense. Power’s not the right word, what I mean to say is, Can an omnipotent being destroy an omnipotent being?

I thought someone would say this before I got here:You are unique.Just like everyone else.

We know they have omnipotent power(having infinite or a great power) but are they invincible? If not then yes, one can die.If not then they would just destroy everything while fighting.

Its called the grandfather paradox. If yuo were to travel back in time, and kill your grandfather before you or your parents were born, that means your parents never exsisted so you couldnt have been born, then you would have never exsisted so how could you travel back in time in the first place?

Well, I’m assuming an omnipotent being would be indestructable, because if he could be destroyed then he wouldn’t be omnipotent, would he?

The Paradox of Chuang-Tzu

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Tzu, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of following my fancies as a butterfly, and was unconscious of my individuality as a man. Suddenly I awoke, and there I lay, myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.