Computer games and LD's (and dreams in general)

To begin with, I’m a gamer, and I play lots of games, from Command & Conquer to The Sims. As I started my Dream Diary I began to notice that my every-day gaming began to have an effect on my dreaming:

In some of my dreams, I see a cursor in front of the screen, like I’m playing myself in a game. In other dreams, a chase suddenly turns into a game, and I have to defeat a boss to end the level. The effects on my dreams relate to the games I’m currently playing. Like, the period I was playing Jedi Knight 2, I had dreams of running around in caves with a lightsaber in my hands.

It seems that gaming triggers all kinds of weirdnesses in my dreams, and I think this may be a great way to trigger an LD, as these are all examples of things that won’t happen in RL. The only thing is, how can I use this to trigger an LD? Do I have to sit in front of my computer when I’m gaming asking myself ‘am I dreaming’? Would that do any good?

I consider myself a casual gammer but like you I get these weird dreams where one minute I’m playing a videogame but the next I’m apart of it. Some common games that I dream about include Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Diablo 2. I bet you can’t guess which games I play in real life.

if gaming is a big part of your waking world then dreaming about it is only natural to have game dreams.

If i have a game and somet happens that actually requires thinking and is deeply involving, i find i dream about it.

Cool, and is a good lucid trigger.

i suppose you could do reality checks when you are actually playing the games. like you said with the cursor, just RC whenever you see it.

or, since you said your dreams relate to the current game you are playing. you could do RC’s whenever you see something or do something that reminds you of that particular game.

I thought I was the only one who had these sorts of dreams…I used to play video games ALL the time and thus they really manifested themselves in my dreams. But then, I kind of thought to myself “isn’t this kind of sad?” and, lo and behold, the game aspects started to vanish from my dreams. Granted, there is usually some part of my dream that is strangely like computer gaming, but for the most part my dreams are clean of them.

That’s a good idea, I’ll think of using that as a dreamsign (though I don’t think it happens enough anymore).

Well, not ALL of my dreams are computer game dreams, but yeah, it seems kind of sad to have gameing dreams (kind of makes you feel like a geek), but it may also be just natural to have dreams about your hobbies, and a gardener may have real exciting gardening dreams :bored: LOL, I think I may stick with gaming, as that never gets boring…

I do the game dreams too. Sometimes it is fun…but like playing a game in reality I tend to get a bit annoyed if I get killed and have to keep going back to the start. The first time it happened I was facinated with all the animated characters in it. No one I have mentioned this to has ever dreamt this way. cool I’m not the only one :content:

For new lders computer game dreams can be very useful. When I first started lding I commonly had game dreams. I would achieve lucidity sometimes but was having trouble controling the dream. After a while of that I found a way to control it, I called up the game menu or minimized the game and went to my desktop. Doing this I could change the dream by entering a new “game”, often something that wasn’t a game but I made into one for the dream. For more outrageous things in game dreams (such as flying in games that had no flight) I would access the cheat menu. Even if there wasn’t a cheat menu in the game normally there would be in the dream.
That was how I learned to control lds, by using things that naturally fit into the dream environment, as I became more comfortable with my lds I gained more control without needing to use things appropriate to the dream.