5-htp??

Does anyone know if 5-HTP can help increase REM sleep or help with an LD. How about caffiene? Or any other better enhancements you know of… thanks :bounce:

I’ve been taking a special multivitamin/mineral/herb supplement that contains 5HTP, and it does seem to have an enhancing effect.

For me, 5HTP does seem to increase REM sleep, which increases the likelihood of LDs. I’ve noticed that I seem to stay in REM sleep longer toward the end of sleep and dreams are more vivid.

On the other hand, I’ve also been making a habit of recording my dreams into a microcassette recorder upon waking, so that also may be helping my recall.

Only one downside: I must be under more stress than I realize because anxious dreams are happening a lot. I figure I have anxious dreams all the time, I’m just remembering them more now. I don’t think the 5HTP is making me have anxious dreams.

However, the thing that helps me consistently in LDing is getting LOTS of sleep. I’m far more successful on the weekends when I can sleep in or grab a nap in the afternoon.

But, from what I’ve learned on this forum, there is no magic bullet that helps everyone. You just have to experiment! Good luck. :cheesy:

I experimented with 5-HTP over several weeks.

I found it moderately helpful for LDs, but not nearly as effective as melatonin or valerian.

Harlequin

Hey, guys … as I’ve said before, the magic bullet doesn’t exist, but I’d highly recommend trying 5HTP as a supplement. I’ve noticed a significant difference in my dream recall and lucidity level when I take it versus when I don’t.

Last night/this morning, I had a particularly intense and LONG lucid dream, which rarely happens to me during the week! (I’m far more likely to have success on the weekends when I can sleep like nobody’s business.)

Give 5HTP a try. But do your research. I think it may interfere with some prescription drugs.

That is true. 5-HTP should not be taken with SSRIs (i.e., Prozac) or MAO inhibitors. It can cause a very serious condition known as serotonin syndrome.

As always, consult your doc.

uhm… i missed somehting here, what is 5 htp???

DESCRIPTION
L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP are amino acids sold as nutritional supplements and are used by the body as precursors for the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-hydroxy-tryptamine). Both 5-HTP and L-Tryptophan have been used by body builders as an amino-acid. Trytophan is used to help stabilize mood, as a sleep aid, and by some ecstasy and psychedelic users because they are reputed to both increase the effects of substances as well as easing the comedown and helping stabilize mood the day after.
erowid.org/smarts/tryptophan/