Dangers of Lucidy

In nature everything is balance, everything must be balanced. There can’t be anything that only has plusses. There can’t be any joy without sorrow. So why should LDs be totally harmless. So here are a few toughts of mine.

Say, maybe if you are really comitted to lucidy and yor life’s purpouse is to take the max out of dreams. if you learn to totally control your dreams. You are so happy with your dream world that every time you get home from work or whatever, the only thing on your mind is to go to sleep and away from the real world, tolive in your happy world where everything is perfect and you can do whatever you want. So say you learn to mold your dream into what the real world exactly is, only without war, hunger, anger. couldn’t lose the touch between the two worlds and start to think of the real life as a dream. Also if your dream world is so real and you die, your mind would accept the fact that you are dead and you could end up clinically dead, with your heart beating but your brain dead. Kinda like it would happen in the movie “The Matrix”. Maybe even injury created in your dreams like if you get your hand cut off in the dream world, your real hand in the real world wouldn’t function, because your mind has accepted the fact that you don’t have a hand. It works hand-in-hand with the placebo effect.
So looks like i am gonna have to explain the placebo effect too:

Well, sometimes placebo drugs are used to cure ppl. Like ppl with brain cancer just get holes drilled in their heads to make them think that the tumour was cut out. So if your mind will think that the tumour is no more it would continue your life normally and the body would heal itself. Again the bodies own healing capabilities are tested.
There were tests where say 50 ppl were given drugs,half of them got placebo pills (just a pill with sugarwater i it) and the other half got a painkiller. So all of these were given a moderate electro shock into the hand. The ppl with the painkiller felt less pain, and the ppl with the placebo drug did feel less pain too, but still, the pain wasn’t surpressed as much as it was by the painkiller. So the person with the placebo drug tough that he isn’t gonna feel any pain and he didn’t, atleast he didn’t feal the whole pain.
Also, say you are about to be given an injection. So if the doctor tells you that it will be very very painful, you will feel more pain, but if he tells you that it won’t hurt a bit, you will feel less pain.

All this indicates that we have barely scraped the top of man’s capabilities.

Your toughts about all this.

It’s an interesting idea, but I don’t think you could actually become that affected by lucid dreaming. Firstly, regardless of how much time and effort you put into lucid dreaming, you’re always going to spend more of your life awake than asleep. You’ll always be more adjusted to waking life than the dream world, even if you can LD at will. Injuries in the dream world might feel ultimately real to some people, but your mind still knows that you’re just dreaming, so no damage will transfer to your waking life.

The only ‘danger’ that might result of lucid dreaming is neglect for real life obligations in favor of sleep. Even then, I personally don’t consider that a bad thing. I’d be first in line to trade my life away for the ability to LD continuously without interruption.

Well, let’s make sure we see the line between reality and fantasy. “The Matrix” is fantasy. There are no robots that are keeping us trapped in a dream world. The wonderful thing about LDing is that you know you’re dreaming, therefore your mind is aware that you cannot be hurt. So that theory is pretty much scratched.

But, you could become somewhat obsessed with LDing. This is at your own will though. So it couldn’t really be considered a minus for someone who keeps LDing for their regular sleeping schedule. But for someone who didn’t, I suppose it could be considered unhealthy… :neutral:

But often everything in nature is balanced, so it’s an interesting concept :content:

Days ago I discussed LD with someone I know… he’s an excellent lucid dreamer, and told me: “Even if they put me in jail I wouldn’t care, as long as I could dream.”

I don’t know. I fear the same might happen to me because I’m very escapist. I might even start preferring my dream world to the real world…

I don’t think LD in itself has negative side effects. Normal dreaming doesn’t - LD is just a different, higher form of dreaming. It’s been researched and pretty much proven that dreaming has a type of therapeutic effect, and that people who go without REM sleep for a longer time begin to show mental disorders like depression. I don’t think dreaming has a negative side-effect, since every human being does it. The only bad consequences from LD you will probably find in your waking life and not in your dreams; it’s been said already. It’s the consequence of the choices you make, whether you’ll neglect everything or not for lucid dreaming.

I definitely agree with that. I read somewhere that people only use 30% of their brain. Someday, who knows, we’ll be using 100%, and God knows what we’ll be capable of mentally by then. I already think telepathy exists, I also believe that all minds are connected globally somehow. Those are my beliefs, of course, but I think I’m not the only one around here who believes there is much more than science can prove and our minds can understand now.

science rules all. If we are indeed unable to tap part of our brains, then I’ll be waiting for the day we can use telepathy and control our damn subconscious. Then we can all lucid dream at will.

I figured that there are no dangers with LD. I dont think someone can become overly obssesed with LD because they simply cant make themselves fall asleep all the time. Everyone has a busy schedule these days…

And overtime somebody can make LD a part of their schedule…but at night. I think there are no dangers with LD.
The problem is that I am a beginner…so i havent experienced any side effectects with lucidity. :eek:

blackeyeliner1 – Well, that’s what some people are considering the problem; that people may start concentrating only on their dream life, and ignore everything in real life. But as you said, it would be difficult to sleep all the time anyways.

I haven’t seen any negative side-effects with LDing yet :content: I don’t expect to, either.

By the way, welcome to the forum! :grin:

thanx alot :content: i am glad to be here. I have only LD’d about twice my whole life. I am trying to work at LDing more. I am going to try tonight.

Like everyone else has said, i think that the only danger of lucid dreaming is obsession, and i think that i’m starting to become obsessed. BUT maybe the fact that we can only lucid dream for a small portion of any day makes it even better; if we lucid dreamed constantly, maybe we’d want to get out into a world WITH restrictions, not without.

but anyway, lucid dreaming is just so fantastic…i’m obsessed! :bored:

You didn’t read my post good enough. What I meant was that say you become so good at LDing adn it feels so real, wouldn’t your mind suddenly doubt the dreaming part and take the happenings for real, so that means that whatever happens with you in your dream should affect your body also. Like I said before that the brain can multyply pain, if it feels that it is the logical thing to do.
You all might think that all this is bullsh*t, only because noone never really has hurt themselves from a dream or from their own will.
But remember this also, only a hundered or so years ago, they laughed at the man who said that travelling to the moon is impossible. Some more hundred years ago everyone tought that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved over the earth. They also tought that the sun is just a burning lump of coal.
They couldn’t imagine things any differently. So why wouldn’t we see another couple of things change in the centuries to become. We all might think that we are so perfect and we know everything. Well that’s what the ppl five hundred years ago tought too.

I don’t think that’s how it is. I think LDs are mostly plusses, while there are still lots and lots of minuses in life. Not everything has to be good and bad. Some things just give you pure joy and hapiness.

that statement is counterintuitive. if you are really good a lucid dreaming it means you’re skilled at telling the waking world from the dream world

you might wanna look at this thread before making such a statement
https://community.ld4all.com/t/has-anybody-ever-died-in-a-lucid-dream/6124

i especially like tomas’ comment that he made in that thread

this thread talks about pain in dreams: https://community.ld4all.com/t/self-inflicted-pain/8013

and there was another thread (i couldn’t find it) that was soliciting people to commit suicide in their dreams or something like that and report back to see what happened.

Sorry, but no. A dream will never be as real as reality and if it ever became that real it would become a perfect substitute for reality. Following me here?

Thanks Ashvura for that rehash of the biggest cliche ever. We only use (insert pointless number here)% of our brain. This theory has been proven and beat down any number of times the last decade, it means nothing. The only way of improving humans is selective evolution or genetic manipulation.

Cornflake, it is obvious you know nothing of LDing, please read up. Call me flamer but at least I’m honest. I don’t feel like looking up a myriad of threads to apphease the easily offended newbs.