Dropped back into the body

This has happened to me alot of times, but not recently. Have any of you ever been laying down trying to take a nap or something with your eyes close and then feel like your dream body or astral body just dropped back into your real body body and you suddenly kinda jump up. It seems like you were asleep for just a sec or not asleep at all but you know you had to be asleep longer. This is a very very strange feeling. Almost like you just came from an OBE or something. I never remember any dreams when this happen. Maybe it’s just waking up from light sleep or something.

Happens to me all the time. I never remember that I had a dream though because it seems to short of a time period. It’s the strangest feeling because you suddenly jump and you can’ t explain it. Does this mean that I was actually in an OBE and I didn’t know it?

This sounds like something that happens to me, but sometimes i can even be standing up when it happens.
I could sort of be day dreaming and then i fell a sudden jump-kinda like i am about to fall over, but i am able to stop myself from falling when i sort of come out of the daydream.
This is a very difficult thing to describe, i don’t know if it is the same thing as what you have but i also have it when i am trying to go to sleep, but i haven’t had it lately. I used to have it, maybe once a month or two.

This sounds like when a lot of people I know are falling asleep, they often get abrupt whole-body twitches, accompanied sometimes by electricicty sensations et al, which wake them up with adrenaline, which for some (my dad included) leads to sleep paralysis. This phenomenon probably has a name, as as far as I know it’s fairly common, but I don’t know it. Often these experiences are accompanied by dream-like imagery (I don’t know if this qualifies as normal hypnoagogic imagery) like once when this happened to me, I was in a light sleep (or very intense waking relaxation, take your pick) state, and I was skiing on a hill, and my skis hit a rock and was awoken with a start by one of these experiences. It felt not like the hitting of the rock woke me up, it seemed like my mind was rationalizing the abrupt startle of the wake up by incorporating the rock into the dream. Others experience it as a falling over in a dream, or other things. Maybe if you are experiencing an OBE, or OBEs are on your mind, your body rationalizes this abrupt awakening as your astral/dream body falling back into your physical one. Just a guess.

I don’t know if this fits into this topic, but almost every nights where I remember my dreams, I can remembe being in a strange stage, a mixture of OBE and sleep paralysis. I can move freely with my dream body, at the same time as it is “stuck” into my real body. What I see is a mixture between dream images and what I actually see through my eyes. I have tried to use this stage for OBEing or LDing, but every time I try, I wake up.

Fwongo hit it right on the spot. It is a whole body twitch. It happens to me when I’m relaxing in bed. It is a deep relaxation or a light sleep as he said and through my experiences, the abrupt twitch occurs when something suddenly goes wrong in your “obe” Does anyone know if there is a way to use this to have a lucid dram?

I’ve experienced this for as long as I can remember, although it doesn’t happen very often. My Nan used to describe it as “your heart skipping a beat”.

I experience two variations of it. Sometimes I’ll be lying in bed and, just as I’m falling asleep, it feels like I’ve suddenly landed on the bed from a height, like I’ve dropped from the ceiling. It always makes me wake up with my heart racing.

The second variation is again when I’ve just drifted off to sleep, but I’ll start having a dream. In the dream I’ll trip or fall, again waking suddenly with my adrenaline pumping, as if I’d suddenly tripped or fallen in real life.

The only way I can see it could help LDing is by putting you in a good frame of mind for WILDing. It wakes you up and speeds up your heart rate, but you’re still sleepy. It’s a good opportunity to drift back off to sleep, but remain mentally alert.

This is not falling back in your body but you are between waking and sleeping…and at that point you are very sensitive to sensory input…like sound or whatever and your body responses and translate that as an alarming thing and pumps up the adrenaline and your consciousness is like a rocket back in your head…sometimes it also happens from rem sleep or at other sleep stages when your body relaxes to much. while sleeping.(heart beat) then to an adrenaline increasing is used…you will wake up with the feeling that you where falling very hard…and your hearbeat will be high…

Jeff

i made a topic about this called shocked awake.

the same thing happens to me as what was described with the skiing incident. this happens 2 - 3 times a week. its common then…?

Yes Austizmo, its a common thing…

adrenanline is triggered and your awake with a shock and a fast heartbeat…
Can happen in all stages between waking and deep sleep…even in deep sleep stage it can happen…only dangerous when you are in need of a heart transplant…hope no one here is!

Jeff

Yeah i have had that a few times, really weird… also hear some kind of a bang sound, like a explosion in my head.

I have also experienced a variation of this. However, the way it happens to me is I am falling asleep and I am still concious that I am falling asleep, and I start to visualize things I was doing the day before, and I get really sucked into an image, say I am skateboarding. Well, If I fall on the skateboard, when I “hit the ground” by whole body jerks as it would if I actually hit the ground. This happenes about once a month, and I don’t have any sort of adrenaline rush from it. My theory is it is just a dream before your body has gone into sleep paralysis, so you actually act out things that hurt.

Yeah, I get this, too.
My theory is that you have gone into sleep paralysis and your mind suddenly sends a signal which is transmitted to your muscles making you move suddenly.
Well, it makes sense to me anyway. :content: I’ve got a feeling that the images you get with it could be something which your mind has made up ‘on the spot’, to explain what is going on.

I was watching some TV yesterday. One of my cats slept beside me on the couch. Then suddenly he woke up in a shock. I could see he had a real adrenaline-rush. Totally disoriented he looked around. :cool_laugh: lol: :rofl:

So it happens to cats too :smile:

The same thing was a running gag in the Chris Farley Movie ‘Beverly Hills Ninja.’ He’d be meditating or sleeping when all of a sudden he’d be woken up and go flying across the room in convulsions. It’s actually quite funny if you see it :tongue: