Could we be pioneering 'Virtual Reality'

An interesting thought crossed my mind after having an amazingly life-like lucid dream. For years humans have wanted to create Virtual Reality. We can see this in many movies. For example, in the movie Total Recall.

So what I was thinking is, if true virtual reality machines are developed I think the first generations will be somehow connected to lucid dreaming. We do have some machines, such as those goggle things you but on your eyes that blink during REM, but these do not work for everyone. The first machine that can be called a true Virtual Reality machine will have to work for everyone, and will probably rely on certain impulses or waves to be sent to the brain with some device.

So what do you think?

I have always argued with people that lucid dreaming is technically a form of virtual reality. Sure, it takes practice and isn’t as stable as the holodeck would be but right now, its the closest thing that we have.

Yep. We just need to fix the visualization conduits from the engineering bay.

I’ve been fantasizing about this device I called the “Lucid Dream Inductor”
that somehow hooked up to you (I was thinking in your ear, but probably face is better) that sent some sort of signal that got you lucid. Maybe a small shock would bring you into consciousness or something.

Laberge himself in the famous interview mp3 says its like the Holodeck…

whats the holodeck?

The holodeck is a virtual reality room on Star Trek.